game making

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
reader
Young scout

game making

Post by reader »

Would be very interested in hearing your take on the game making world. I create my own games but on a purely spare time basis. Have mostly used the rags game engine to this point and have made 4 rags games and one renpy game so far. Looking into renpy for my next project as I like the event scheduler that comes with the dating engine add on for renpy. The general coding for renpy is very user friendly. But the bits that require python is something else entirely. Haven't had much luck finding detailed documentation on coding in renpy. Plus haven't had much luck getting assistance with my questions on the renpy forum. But mainly what I would be interested in is, as I suggested earlier, is your take on game making. Suggestions that you could pass on that you learned in your experience.

So a thread with yours and others take on game making would be of interest to me anyway. Sharing suggestions, useful links, that sort of thing. Hope it would be something you'd be interested in contributing to as well. Thanks.
fleetp
Druid

Re: game making

Post by fleetp »

I find it surprising that the folks over at lemmasoft forums (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/index.php) haven't been much help to you on using that program.
I use Novelty Visual Novel Maker for the VN's I make, since Novelty (http://www.visualnovelty.com/) doesn't require coding. Right now, VNs made with Novelty cannot be sold, so if you want to sell your VNs, ren'py is a better solution.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: game making

Post by jack1974 »

Well renpy is a great tool but indeed you're mostly on your own. I have to say that when I started using it, 3-4 years ago, I got more answers to my question compared to what I see now (I think, not sure 100%).
Still is a tool for people who know coding already, is not for newbies or for people who aren't ready to spend several weeks making tests/trying code on their own without much help. Now there's a much better documentation than when I started though!