Development thread (yuri)

A mystery life sim set in college. GxB and GxG options planned
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Development thread (yuri)

Post by jack1974 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 am

Because when I started SIT, Nicole writer was working. I cannot predict if someone suddenly stop working. And it's not like I can fire someone instantly (even if I really should). I started SIT because that writer wanted some work and it happened AFTER Nicole's writer started working on it.

[big rant cut-off because was as bit pointless :lol:]

Blood-Beryl
Young scout

Post by Blood-Beryl » Sun May 08, 2016 9:52 am

Dude, chill out. No need to get so defensive.^^

No one called you a newbie (and I do not think DunKalar was hinting on that) and I am sure everyone here acknowledges your amount (and quality) of released games, so there is no need to keep bringing that up whenever someone expresses irritation about the Nicole status. ; )

I am just a bit surprised about the sudden decision of (possible) cancelling. I mean, it is usually good to set a deadline, since it quickens peoples pace, and I get that it is annoying when people keep inquiring about this game, but is that all?
Cause if it is, could not you just say that the release will be in 2020-2021? If you give that as a "release date" then surely people will stopp bugging you about it and your writer(s) have more than enough time to finish.^^
Or is the project causing you actual loss the way it is now?

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:16 am

I got defensive, but read what Dunkalar wrote:
DunKalar wrote: i.e. why start summer in Trigue (although it's nice to get a yuri game) as a new project and not finish Nicole with the personel first?
seems like he thought I made a basic mistake to me. I wanted to explain that it's just not always (or better, never) possible to decide what will happen. However you're right, maybe the tone was a bit too defensive, so I apologize if it seemed so. It's just that this game as you can imagine has become a real pain in the ass for me, and the more people ask about it, the more irritable I become because of it.
Blood-Beryl wrote:Cause if it is, could not you just say that the release will be in 2020-2021? If you give that as a "release date" then surely people will stopp bugging you about it and your writer(s) have more than enough time to finish.^^
In my experience, I don't think that would work. Setting deadlines too far in future make things worse, when writers aren't motivated. We would be here again in 2020 and a few months before that deadline, the game STILL wouldn't be ready. I mean, has been 3 years already, I can't see why couldn't be another 3-4 years :mrgreen:

The game is not causing me a loss "right now", but of course every day that passes that it's not out, I lose money I have already invested in the game.

Anyway, I might have an idea on how to speed things up. I'll think about it and maybe say something next week :)

Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:11 pm

jack1974 wrote:Anyway, I might have an idea on how to speed things up. I'll think about it and maybe say something next week :)
Big hugs for you Jack, and plenty of cookies too!

I understand your feelings and more importantly your frustrations with this project. When you make great games that are visually compelling and pleasing (also great stories too!), it is hard not to get overly enthusiastic especially if it is a genre you love. Heh if you did not make such great games people would have been quiet a long time ago, not my fault if you are a fantastic developer!

Oh and more cookies for you!

Cake too?!

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Well, ironically, my wife is preparing a cake for me right now! :lol:

DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar » Sun May 08, 2016 10:28 pm

:mrgreen: since I raffled the discussion here:
I did not intend to make someone feel guilty here. Due to my work as a project manager I got some experience with some situations like this, too and it always helps me to just talk about it. Sometimes, if you switch the viewpoint to someone else, it helps you to understand the situation better and find the better strategy for proceeding.
I don't have any experience with game production - that's why I said that I might not understand some connections in this project. But I hoped that I might push jack in the direction to continue on this game and finish it - since the fangirls around are still betting their hopes on it.

and cake always helps. I can send you cookies if it helps you :D

Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen » Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Blood-Beryl wrote:I am just a bit surprised about the sudden decision of (possible) cancelling. I mean, it is usually good to set a deadline, since it quickens peoples pace, and I get that it is annoying when people keep inquiring about this game, but is that all?
Cause if it is, could not you just say that the release will be in 2020-2021? If you give that as a "release date" then surely people will stopp bugging you about it and your writer(s) have more than enough time to finish.^^
It's one thing if a game is delayed because there's so much work to do it's just not feasible to finish before the original target date. It's another thing if a game is delayed because the staff isn't working on it. Hard to say what the specific issue here is, but from a number of the other posts Jack has made, there appears to be a communication breakdown. So even if he did set a deadline of say...2020, he doesn't really know if they're even going to work on it. And if they don't finish, then he drags out a "promise" to his fans for four more years and is left with all the fan complaints and questions until then.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:14 am

DunKalar wrote:Sometimes, if you switch the viewpoint to someone else, it helps you to understand the situation better and find the better strategy for proceeding.
If was something else, like art, that could be done. Like, there are 5 missing backgrounds, I can hire another artist for them (it has happened many times). Same for icons, GUI. In some cases even retouching characters, in others even redoing completely all the characters of a game!
But with writing, it's different, you can't "swap on the fly" or jump from writer to writer. Otherwise the result will be bad. The new writer needs to read all the story that has been written, understand the characters, etc etc. So takes time.
And cookies are alway welcome :lol:

DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Jack,

the game is marked as 99% finished. So we will see it soon, right?

:twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:03 pm

What? it was out last month! :wink:

I'm joking obviously BOUHAHAHAHAH :twisted: