Development thread (yuri)

A mystery life sim set in college. GxB and GxG options planned
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Development thread (yuri)

Post by jack1974 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:08 am

True, I guess I was thinking about... ahem... all those various fanservice yuri games that showed up recently, but I guess they don't have much of a plot or character development! :lol:

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Tue May 03, 2016 6:35 am

jack1974 wrote:True, I guess I was thinking about... ahem... all those various fanservice yuri games that showed up recently, but I guess they don't have much of a plot or character development! :lol:
Yeah! Same here, like you are the only place other than Some triple As to give any lesbian content. If you noticed when you did that romance poll, you have a lot of female fans who like that content. Most Yuri games are really just made for guys and its easy to tell. They don't even fanservice the way we would usually prefer. You on the other hand, give us the same sort of content we always wanted. Some romantic stories we can't find in movies or shows or even in books (lesbians always either die or break up, it's law). So you have a lot of dedicated lesbian and bisexual fans who really look forward to any of that content from you because we trust i. Unlike other Yuri games, even though we may not be who you are targeting with that content, you don't exclude us by how you go about it, so you get some very loyal customers.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 am

That's cool :) Maybe because most of my writers are females so they know how to do yuri fanservice haha. I think though that for writing the gender doesn't matter much, as long as you're a good writer.

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Tue May 03, 2016 7:11 am

Oh it doesn't at all. But it's hard to describe, when something is yuri but made for guys exclusively, you just know. Because all your characters are made to be characters even if they are showing skin, it really works for all genders. But most Yuri games have the characters be lesbians to make them act in very specific ways that make no sense or just show the fact they are lesbians as being sexy. Games aren't the only media that does this, and it's really easy to tell at this point what is content both men and women can enjoy and what is made exclusively for dudes.

It's also why a few people are on the fence about Summer in Trigue. As opposed to many of your other sexy female characters, their builds remind me a lot more of games made for guys, so even though most of them are no where near, say, the sexiness of Loren, how they are drawn makes us a little wary.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:16 am

I thought Loren's characters were much more sexy than SIT ones :wink:
Wait to read the game writing and I'm sure you'll change your mind :)

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Tue May 03, 2016 7:32 am

Loren's were way sexier, and was awesome for it. Chambara/Loren were hot no matter your preference, but that's the weird thing. Even being toned down, SiT just pings more on the art made for dudes scale. Kinda what I meant as fanservice for everyone vs art that seems to lean one way or another.

And I know I will. You never put out a game I didn't love within the first few minutes. :)

Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa » Wed May 04, 2016 6:52 pm

It's a real shame to hear nicole yuri may be getting canceled, I know a lot has changed in the past years, with you having to deal with unreliable workers (so glad you've found much better people to work with now).

I bought Nicole back at release to help sales numbers and put my money where my mouth is in supporting independent creators I enjoy (just as I buy miracle of sound and others music on bandcamp etc) despite being only interested in the yuri version, assuming the other would come in the coming months (just to be clear I don't regret it, always been a big supporter of your work since finding you way back in early 2012 and will continue to be so <3)

At the same time I do believe you're doing the right thing if you know there is no way of getting it finished even with help by others you know now and it's just money down the drain at this point, because at least then we can all put it to rest and no longer need to hope and wait.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Sylrissa wrote: At the same time I do believe you're doing the right thing if you know there is no way of getting it finished even with help by others you know now and it's just money down the drain at this point, because at least then we can all put it to rest and no longer need to hope and wait.
I really hope I don't get to the point of canceling it, but I want people to know that the chances of getting finished are really low. I don't want to lie to people :) But yeah if it's taking so much my time would be better spent in doing another game (maybe another yuri game still).
Anyway, I'll see what happens in the next months, but you could take for granted that it won't be out this year either :o

MissMemorielle
Young scout

Post by MissMemorielle » Wed May 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Can I just add in that I played Nicole when it first came out, and the two main reasons why I was super-excited for a yuri version is because
A) I think the art of Nicole is like... professionally good? Not that the art in a lot of the other games is bad per say, but I do think the art of Nicole is definitively in the higher ranking tier as opposed to say, Spirited Heart. And yeah, of course, it's a matter of taste but I mean like objectively there is a difference in how anatomically correct the illustrations are and how steady the line art is.etc.

For some of the games that are under development now (and I was hesitant to approach this because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I mean I spend money on this so I figure I'm entitled to my opinion) I would say that I see a lot of anatomical mistakes and tendencies to lower quality art. And that might be just me though! I draw a lot myself so I might be more sensitive to these elements than most people - I have a better eye for art than a hand for art, lol.
So I've been a bit hesitant about this because while the art is not everything, in visual novels it's still a pretty big deal, and I do not have an unlimited budged to spend on games (not that it stops me, sigh).
And so while my interests lie in games with LGBTQ elements and I want to support these the most and I am therefore more liable to spend my money on those games, I've been a bit hesitant lately because of the art style seems to be kind of lower quality than titles such as Loren, Nicole and Always Remember me.

Wow, but I digress.
B) I liked Nicole a lot, as a main character.

I guess to sum up my point was I just really want a yuri (and BxB) game with art which is as aesthetically pleasing as Nicole, which is why I personally was excited for it. I totally get why you might have to cancel it though!

DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar » Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 am

I think I'll never understand why many games with yuri content got finished - and those successful writers and artist have never been asigned on nicole despite all the fangirling for this game. Yeah I know that you cannot combine different artworks and such but still - a redistribution of the eforts might have finished the game by now. :wink: i.e. why start summer in Trigue (although it's nice to get a yuri game) as a new project and not finish Nicole with the personel first? :-).
Sometimes, you do not need to produce a 100 % polished high performance product to satisfy people. When you really want to finish it, you'll find a way Jack. You have enough fangirls here ;-). Imagine the happyness you can create. They will totally acknowledge it on judgement day for never giving up and finishing Nicole this Summer :twisted: :mrgreen: !