Development thread (yuri)

A mystery life sim set in college. GxB and GxG options planned
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Re: Development thread (yuri)

Post by fabulaparva » Sun May 01, 2016 2:22 am

jack1974 wrote:I think I'll probably add a VN Mode to QoT too (or something like that) :)
Better yet, add an RPG mode to Nicole... :P

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Sun May 01, 2016 5:47 am

You're saying you want the game in 2086?

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:01 am

Noo!! You not only mentioned the FORBIDDEN GAME, but you even used the name!!! We're doomed! :shock:

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 am

OK while it was fun for a while this story of the "cursed game", now it's getting a bit annoying every time someone asks me about it in blog/forum/by emails. I sent an "ultimatum email" to the writer to set a deadline. One day after the deadline is passed, I'll cancel the project completely. I have honestly enough of this, and I'm also wasting a lot of money for a simple dating sim that I already know won't be worth it.

This is a good example of why in future I'll make much shorter games and more focused on gameplay. This is just wasting a lot of my own time, getting bad reputation (seems like I'm lying to people about game status) and so on. Nothing good comes out of a situation like this.

Considering that when I was working on the games on my own I usually made one every 3-4 months, it's kind of crazy that other people take 3 years, even if it's not their fulltime job. And believe me I've tried everything :lol:

Luckily, recently I also found several very reliable writers like Miakoda, Fen, Kitty, Forsaken, SilverHyena, etc. They'll write most of my future games at this point :)

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Mon May 02, 2016 9:01 am

Sad as I am that it probably means we will never get Nicole, I think you are making the right move. I do hope we will get a dating sim in the future with dark horrific themes, though.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:06 am

Well, there's one in the works right now, Love Bites. And from what I've read I think will be even more scary than Nicole :)

Falchion
Young scout

Post by Falchion » Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 am

That's a shame. I've been really looking forward to it, but I completely understand the decision. I mean, I suppose it's still possible that it will happen, but given the history...

Out of curiosity (and if you're willing to answer), how do you go about finding your writers in the first place? Are there requirements/prerequisites?

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:22 am

In the past I was posting ads on lemmasoft (the Ren'Py official forum) since it was a good place to find writer that ALSO know the basic Ren'Py coding (not that it's hard, but...).
Recently since I got a bit more "popular" I get often offers by email/PM, and when I post an ad on twitter I get several applicants. Though from my own experience less than 1/4 of those people are reliable. Some quit after just 2 weeks of work :lol:

Note that I'm not saying writing is easy! It's really hard. But there are people who do a great job like the one I listed above, and also don't take an eternity to finish. Heirs & Graces took 2 years for example, but it's really well written, 140k words, and the writer always kept me up to date. She never disappeared on me without a word.

The worst thing for me is when someone stops any communications. In the past I was chasing them, now if I don't hear anything after 4-5 weeks and the person didn't warn me beforehand, I automatically consider that person "missing in action" and look elsewhere :)

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 am

jack1974 wrote:Well, there's one in the works right now, Love Bites. And from what I've read I think will be even more scary than Nicole :)
I actually had no idea that Love Bites was going to be dark, that makes me much more excited about it's release. I love sweet, or funny games too, but it's rare to find something chilling.

Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Damm! I hope your crew will come through. So many people (including me) are waiting in anticipation for this game! :o

If the worst comes to pass (game canceled), I was wondering if you could consider packaging some of the art stuff for the game and sell/give it as a "bonus" pack, so some of us can keep it as Nicole Yuri memento? :)