Nicole beta testing thread!

A mystery life sim set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/nicole.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Nicole beta testing thread!

Post by jack1974 »

You're right, I forgot to enable them (would run only in Saturday/Sunday but all day). You can use Study at the library though, I managed to get enough Wit just with that when I tested :)
QueenoftheCastle
Young scout

Post by QueenoftheCastle »

Do we only need over 900 points in clues in order to get the special ending, or does the whole bar have to be filled up?

And just so this isn't just a silly question post, here is an error I came upon when doing Ted's path, when Nicole is hanging out with him at his home
Spoiler:
While running game code:
File "game/story.rpy", line 674, in script
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 543, in python
File "game/story.rpy", line 208, in python
File "game/global_init.rpy", line 430, in python
IndexError: tuple index out of range

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
node.execute()
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1531, in execute
self.call("execute")
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1544, in call
renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\statements.py", line 100, in call
return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 543, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\exports.py", line 1621, in call_screen
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1864, in interact
scene_lists.replace_transient()
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 558, in replace_transient
self.remove(layer, tag)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 832, in remove
self.hide_or_replace(layer, remove_index, "hide")
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 756, in hide_or_replace
d = oldsle.displayable._hide(now - st, now - at, prefix)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\display\screen.py", line 189, in _hide
hid.update()
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\display\screen.py", line 266, in update
self.screen.function(**self.scope)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\screenlang.py", line 1217, in __call__
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, locals=scope)
File "C:\Users\Olivia\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX97.920\Nicole-0.8.6-all\renpy\python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/story.rpy", line 208, in <module>
File "game/global_init.rpy", line 430, in CanDo
IndexError: tuple index out of range
It didn't crash my game or anything, but it popped up towards the end of the scene. Also, in Ted's Normal ending, I think his special CG occurs a little earlier than it should. The CG came up when they were still in the store talking, so it was a little out of place.
Emma_Clare
Young scout

Post by Emma_Clare »

Its so frustrating. I've been trying to get Darren's best ending and I keep coming normal! Any hints?
mizu_ki
Woods ranger

Post by mizu_ki »

jack1974 wrote:Remember that if you find the game too hard you can set it to Easy in the option screen :wink:
I was on Easy or rather I started as Normal and then switched to Easy. lol
It's cool though since I plan on getting every ending for all modes. :twisted:
Especially, now that I know that you need to focus on
Spoiler:
two attributes. :wink: Farewell, well-rounded Nicole! :mrgreen:
Emma_Clare
Young scout

Post by Emma_Clare »

mizu_ki wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Remember that if you find the game too hard you can set it to Easy in the option screen :wink:
I was on Easy or rather I started as Normal and then switched to Easy. lol
It's cool though since I plan on getting every ending for all modes. :twisted:
Especially, now that I know that you need to focus on
Spoiler:
two attributes. :wink: Farewell, well-rounded Nicole! :mrgreen:
Quick question
Spoiler:
Is that two maxed attributes for the guy your looking to get with? If so wow! I'm on easy and I'm have a hard enough time getting the clues and one stat maxed.
kyoli18
Young scout

Post by kyoli18 »

Okay so so far I have just gone through Darren's play through (I got the normal ending) :( I was so sure I had everything I needed for the happy ending >.> but anyways pretty much all I have noticed has been a few grammar things.
Spoiler:
going to work at the convenience store nicole talks about teasing Ted. "I really should've started teasing Ted more often" would work better if she says "sooner" rather then, "more often"

also in that same spot "This is way more funny than I thought it would be" should be, "funnier" would work better then "more funny"

end with Darren after getting out of exams Nicole states "Best boyfriend ever material right here" might work better if she just states "Best boyfriend ever right here" or "Best boyfriend material right here" ( prefer the former myself)

confrontation with abductor with Darren. "Especially not with someone with the likes of you" You probably meant for it to say either, "Especially not with someone like you" or "Especially not with the likes of you"
Cain0425
Young scout

Post by Cain0425 »

i need a hit guild for this game i have really hard time even getting a good ending or find out what person is the killing people even after i max out the clues the only ending i have got where the alone ending and the bad ending
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

QueenoftheCastle wrote:And just so this isn't just a silly question post, here is an error I came upon when doing Ted's path, when Nicole is hanging out with him at his home
That happens if the time variable goes too high, I am going to add an extra check to be sure on next update.
To answer the other questions:
NORMAL ENDING:
- You need 99% in relationship + over 900 in the boy related stat (just one, not two)
SPECIAL ENDING:
- You need 99% in relationship + over 900 in the boy related stat + 999 in clues

I might change the special to need only >900 in clues though if people find it too difficult? Honestly playing in Normal difficult was rather easy to get the ending. A few tips that are given even inside the game are:
1) don't overwork yourself, if you do too many things in one day, the next day you'll be broken and you'll get LESS stat increase than if you rested more the day before
2) Since the amount of Clues increase are related to all your other stats, you might want to wait before starting the investigation until you've raised them a bit more.

Point one is very important, for most part of the game I was just doing the job + nap or job + one investigation + nap. Also I was using the dinner at restaurant even if is expensive it's worth it. Or the vitamins+infusion at the pharmacy.
Point two is also important, I was waiting a bit before starting the investigation since you get much higher increases if you start when you have raised your other stats already a bit

Anyway I think will also make a full walkthrough later today!
asterisk0228
Young scout

Post by asterisk0228 »

Here are some of the things I noticed so far. Suggestions are enclosed in square brackets. :wink:

During Nicole's first scene with Chandra:
  1. In the worst case scenario, I'm gonna have to switch rooms, but best to keep optimistic! I haven't even met her.
    • [... but it's best to keep optimistic! I haven't even met her yet.]
      [... but it's best to stay positive! I haven't even met her yet.]
  2. I gasp as I hit something, or really, someone in the hall.
    • [... something, or rather, someone ...]
  3. Nicole apologizes to Chandra after they bump into each other, but her sprite wears an angry expression.
  4. The girl I knocked down rises to her knees and rubs her head like she hit it when she fell.
    • [The girl I knocked over rises to her knees and gently massages the side of her head.]
      • Knock down = to thrust someone to the ground by hitting.
      • Knock over = to push or hit someone, causing the person to fall.
      • "...rubs her head like she hit it..." = This phrase sounds like she's trying to hurt herself. I think gently massages would be more appropriate.
      • "... like she hit it when she fell." = I think it would be unnecessary to include this phrase since we already understand that her head was hit when she fell because she was massaging her head when she stood up.[/i]
  5. I-I'm fine, thanks. I mustn't have been paying attention.
    • [... attention to my surroundings.]
      [I-I'm fine, thanks. I should have paid more attention to my surroundings.]
Inside Chandra and Nicole's room, after their first meeting:
  1. I bump the door closed with my butt then set the box down near where I see my other stuff.
    • [... with my backside then ...]
      • You may also want to use "hip" instead. Any other euphemism for "butt" would seem more appropriate, too.
  2. It's kinda too simple for my tastes, but there's ton of space for me to put stuff.
    • [... but there's a ton ...]
      [... but at least there's enough space for all my stuff.]
  3. Everyone had thought I was joking when I told them of my first choice school.
    • [Everyone thought I was joking...]
mizu_ki
Woods ranger

Post by mizu_ki »

Emma_Clare wrote: Quick question
Spoiler:
Is that two maxed attributes for the guy your looking to get with? If so wow! I'm on easy and I'm have a hard enough time getting the clues and one stat maxed.
Answer: My bad, at one point, jack1974 said that he might make it two but it is just one!
jack1974 wrote: NORMAL ENDING:
- You need 99% in relationship + over 900 in the boy related stat (just one, not two)
SPECIAL ENDING:
- You need 99% in relationship + over 900 in the boy related stat + 999 in clues

I might change the special to need only >900 in clues though if people find it too difficult? Honestly playing in Normal difficult was rather easy to get the ending.