development thread

A steampunk RPG
jack1974
Pack leader

development thread

Post by jack1974 »

HA! Surprise :mrgreen:
Since the story is in such advanced state, I think I can start a development thread. This doesn't mean the game is out soon!
Even if the full story was ready NOW (which is not the case) I would still need to design all the RPG part, finish the art (and there are a LOT of CGs!), the backgrounds, the music, bla bla.

However as you can imagine, just having the full story finished will be already a big milestone :)
Fen is going to have to "transpose" the story into Ren'Py format since he wrote it as a normal screenplay, and that will take probably 2-3 months since he's also going to review/edit it.
Pace675
Druid

Re: development thread

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:HA! Surprise :mrgreen:
However as you can imagine, just having the full story finished will be already a big milestone :)
Fen is going to have to "transpose" the story into Ren'Py format since he wrote it as a normal screenplay, and that will take probably 2-3 months since he's also going to review/edit it.
Hmmm isn't Fen's word count past 300k for this 'little' game? :shock: Sooo 6 months for transposition!(And editing omg that is several dozen novels there o.0)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's around 300k, however that is the word-processor wordcount. Every time there's "narrator" or any character name, or any note, is counted. So it's not the Ren'py "exact" wordcount. I often laughed when other companies (which I won't name...) said "50,000 words!" but they were including the GAME CODE :lol:
My games are the biggest in the world! stop :mrgreen:
Jokes apart even if the exact wordcount won't be 300k, should be quite close. Past 250k for sure :shock:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:It's around 300k, however that is the word-processor wordcount. Every time there's "narrator" or any character name, or any note, is counted. So it's not the Ren'py "exact" wordcount. I often laughed when other companies (which I won't name...) said "50,000 words!" but they were including the GAME CODE :lol:
That's why when I make an estimate on wordcount, I always subtract 10-15% of the overall number to account for things like character names, renpy codes etc.
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

With all the swaps and changes I can't really keep up with what is going to with this game... Though I must ask How things are going? And noticed there is no CG romance sneak peak so i'm guessing that with the change of artist things are plodding along at a slow pace. Still my most wanted game after Amber (Which I now have finished)
How's things going with the writing stage? I miss Fen's old sneak previews and looking back it was a really long time ago.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Writing is at good point but needs to be "converted" into Ren'Py format. Considering the game size, that will take a while! In any case, since now I'm working on Cursed Lands, I prefer that Fen works on Volleyball Heaven since that will be a simpler game to make (RPGs take LOONG time to make!).
The CGs are almost all finished, I'm waiting to have all colored to do previews. But they turned out VERY good :)
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I'm so glad things are moving along. Seems like so long ago when this game was first annouced and you have clearly put a lot of effort in to it. Looking forward to seeing them. I may even cry with joy when I do lol
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In the next few years I'm going to push to finish all the games in progress, and not start any new ones (except maybe only a few simpler dating sims to keep releasing something).
And in future I'll never announce a game again until it's like only a few months from being finished :)