Desktop Mobile Forums Blog Support Patreon

new character art

A steampunk RPG

What do you think of the new art?!? The FUTURE OF THIS GAME ART IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!

Huzzah! it's magnificent and I totally would buy this game NOW
33%
Meh, I don't like anything that is not manga, sob sob
48%
I am neutral to the art (the undecided option)
19%

Total votes: 121

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: new character art

Postby jack1974 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:39 am

Yes of course it's all a matter of tastes. But I need to figure out which is the most popular taste :)
I agree on QoT, I'm surprised about SIT, since I think some characters, like Shiori, are really cute!

If I asked her to redo the PSCD characters, stuff like this could turn out, which I honestly don't think is bad, otherwise I don't know anything anymore about art :o
(those are images from her portfolio for some other game, so nothing to do with my games).

pahldus
Woods ranger

Postby pahldus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:16 am

jack1974 wrote:Image
(those are images from her portfolio for some other game, so nothing to do with my games).

I think if all the art from all your games was done by this artist you would have a winner nearly every time as it is a nice balance between styles. Still anime looking while looking real enough for others tastes.

That said, with some touching up, I think the current art would good too. But then I really like the art style of PSCD.

Katicflis
Young scout

Postby Katicflis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:27 am

Troyen wrote:
Lady Dee wrote:Something about the new style just tends to make the characters seem older (a big issue in PSCD too), or hard to pin down (where a smile vs a frown makes for a 20 year difference in appearance).

Is it really a 'big issue' when a bunch of soldiers/captains on an army base look middle-aged? Cauuse I personally get tired of manga tweens saving the world all the whole time. In reality tweens would be playing their x-boxes or picking their noses while adults did all the saving(and killing).

ValHallen
Druid

Postby ValHallen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 am

That Svetlana is gorgeous, damm she is the most beautiful character from WW games.

I really wish I could play with a character like Neville. Hamilton and Roger Steel looks cool, but not as cool as Neville.

Annes looks good, better than b the previous Anne, but she looks strange with her Angry and Happy face. She shoew a lot of teeth.

Christine looks cute, but her hair looks almost pink, shouldn't she has dark brown hair like her brother? And while this one looks good, I liked the previous Christine better, her green eyes were more highlighted, making her face very beautiful.

Mei Ling doesn't look Chinese, she looks more like an Caucasian. Her outfit is very good, but she has a problem in her right leg, it's too thin.

I didn't like the twins, their heads are strange, the female arms are too thin and they have purple hair.

Arthur is bad too, his head looks strange, his face too and his outifit is bland. He looks like a 30-40 old guy ( nothing wrong with people on those age, but Arthur is supposed to be 18 years old).
His previous looks were better, he looked like a 18 years old brat, it really meshed well with his annoying sarcastic personality, and he had better facial hair.
Last edited by ValHallen on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonStardust
Young scout

Postby SimonStardust » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:58 am

I found the poll not to be offering the answer I would've picked, so... just my few thoughts about the new art.

It's true that I picked the second option, although in general to me it doesn't matter if it's manga or more realistic art style. Actually I prefer a mix of both of them.
The cause for me going with the second option is - to be honest - that I don't really like the new art. Some characters indeed look great. For example Roger Steel himself, Svetlana or Ann. But when I look at Arthur's face... something really seems off. Can't quite pinpoint, what exactly, but it creeps me out. Since I'm usually playing as male protagonist... it would cause me not to buy the game, although I'm really excited for the steampunk setting!
For PSCD I actually liked the artist (well... most of the time... can't get over Charlotte grinning, which looked just as creepy to me D:) and I really, really do not think, they are not talented. I wish I could draw like that. :,D On the other hand though there are many other artists, who I think do a better job. Loren has really pretty art as well as I love the premise for Undead Lily and especially Heirs and Graces (guess, must be my favorite artist so far xD).

Hope I could help and didn't offend anyone. ^^
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD

ValHallen
Druid

Postby ValHallen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:02 pm

SimonStardust wrote:On the other hand though there are many other artists, who I think do a better job. Loren has really pretty art as well as I love the premise for Undead Lily and especially Heirs and Graces (guess, must be my favorite artist so far xD).

Loren artist cant take more jobs from Jack.

SimonStardust
Young scout

Postby SimonStardust » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Was just saying as example... what I like to see. ^^
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD

jack1974
Pack leader

Postby jack1974 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Katicflis wrote:Is it really a 'big issue' when a bunch of soldiers/captains on an army base look middle-aged? Cauuse I personally get tired of manga tweens saving the world all the whole time. In reality tweens would be playing their x-boxes or picking their noses while adults did all the saving(and killing).

I am 41 but I play with the xbox!! (no, actually with the PS4) :lol:
Some characters like Mario are supposed to look old. But this is a good example (no matter what the age is supposed to be) of how people don't like much realistic art. I agree that some of their facial expressions are exaggerated (the wrinkles in particular).

Regarding artist, nobody is saying that he is not talented. It's just that probably for my kind of games and public, is not the right art style.

I repeat, when I saw lower sales direct, I thought "well of course people are used to the art from my other games". But then when I saw that the game on Steam did EVEN WORSE, that was when I completely realized that something wasn't right. It's a moment with many releases etc etc but Loren and SOTW (games 1-2 years old or more!) or my other manga dating sim still sell even today, in this moment. So, it's really about the art, unfortunately.

At this point it's not much about what I like personally, or what a few other users like, but it's about the majority (it works like that).

OhHaiMe
Young scout

Postby OhHaiMe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:55 pm

jack1974 wrote:But then when I saw that the game on Steam did EVEN WORSE, that was when I completely realized that something wasn't right..So, it's really about the art, unfortunately.

To be fair though, I never even saw PSCD on the front page of steam,and with the glut of games(most of which are mediocre at best) being released on steam now making discovery so difficult, I wonder how many people actually know about the game.
Getting on steam used to mean a game was probably decent.But now that there is so much rubbish on there it's easy to gloss over the good games among all the trash. I think that's the reason why getting a game on steam now isn't path to success that it used to be.
You've got to make noise and get in the press just for people to know your game exists. If I didn't follow your website I would never know this game came out. I actually look at the knew games list on steam quite often and actually I missed seeing it at all until I specifically looked for it.

jack1974
Pack leader

Postby jack1974 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:14 pm

That's true, however they show the game in the popular list based on sales/popularity (how many people visit the page).
Since they did that new thing (before there was just "new release"):
SOTW was in the popular list.
Love & Order (!!!) was in the popular list :mrgreen:
...in practice, my last two games to appear on Steam, where in it. This one not :roll: Everything I say it's not based on opinion, but on stats I know. And I take into account the "increased difficulty" of Steam.

Return to “Roger Steel”