new character art

A steampunk RPG

What do you think of the new art?!? The FUTURE OF THIS GAME ART IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!

Huzzah! it's magnificent and I totally would buy this game NOW
33%
Meh, I don't like anything that is not manga, sob sob
48%
I am neutral to the art (the undecided option)
19%

Total votes: 121

PaperDragon
Young scout

Re: new character art

Post by PaperDragon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:40 pm

I think that, as a whole, this art is a HUGE step above the previous sprites for this game. I love how it actually looks steampunk now instead of just looking like some generic adventure game. So, the designs, I think, are awesome! (Though I do agree with whoever mentioned that the gears and accessories kind of look like they're just hovering above the fabric. Nowhere is this more noticeable for me than on Arthur's pant leg.)

I still like and dislike the same things as I did from the art for PSCD - in short, I LOVE the coloring, especially the hair and don't like the mouth area. Part of my problem is definitely the lips. They just look too full, too wide to me. Except for Roger's. But...I'm guessing he'd supposed to be 40ish? Because there is no way I could imagine Arthur as half his age! (I MIGHT believe Arthur is 30, but he looks to be in his mid-upper 30's to me.) And, really, from what I remember, most of the main cast (player character's, their friends) were supposed to be in their late teens to early/mid twenties. I don't see that with the guys, especially. Christina looks young to me, though, the same way Graciela looked young - like she's sixteen. (Maybe the roundness of the face?) I also find some of the proportions a little odd, but I'm no artist so I have no idea if it's just me or not.

Now, all that being said, I personally am more used to manga style art so I do tend to gravitate more towards those games. Also, I plan on buying this game almost no matter what the art looks like. As long as it's professional looking, which I'm sure it will be, I am so there because I've been wanting a steampunk game for a crazy long time. (I didn't vote because with just a bit of tweaking around the mouth, it would totally change my opinion.)

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:44 pm

I am going to close this thread too haha
I decided to use a more manga style for this game too. I agree the images are a huge step forward, but with a RPG, and probably my BIGGEST GAME EVER (it will be 300k words!! :shock:) I definitely cannot have "average sales" only because of art. So, I'll MUST use manga art.
I have already several people that told me in private or in other forums that wouldn't buy the game with this art. So...
I will wait and take it easier though since the game won't be out this year for sure. I will decide a replacement but without hurry, because in practice I did a lot of bad decisions in last months, all due to rushing things/decisions :)

ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:18 pm

The Undead Lily artist is very good, I think it should be her. Just dont let her do a pretty boy PC again.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:42 pm

But Ace order has a beard :mrgreen:

Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:18 pm

@PaperDragon this is completely off topic, you avatar, I have that exact tattoo.....o.0

ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:33 pm

jack1974 wrote:But Ace order has a beard :mrgreen:
Yeah he is the best male character from all Winter Wolves games, but the Chaos Ace is the worst.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:03 am

I'm closing this thread now - I decided (sigh) to redo the art, after seeing the recent results with C14 Dating it is OBVIOUS the main problem with PSCD was the art style. So from now on, I'll only stick to manga, at least for games involving romances.
I might reuse those characters (since I've already paid them) in some other gameplay only game in future. I'll see :)