new character art

A steampunk RPG

What do you think of the new art?!? The FUTURE OF THIS GAME ART IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!

Huzzah! it's magnificent and I totally would buy this game NOW
33%
Meh, I don't like anything that is not manga, sob sob
48%
I am neutral to the art (the undecided option)
19%

Total votes: 121

Svanhildr
Woods ranger

Re: new character art

Post by Svanhildr » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:26 pm

I really like the new designs! Ann's new design is gorgeous although her hair might be a little too crazy. Roger Steel is handsome as heck! I love how he looks, and Neville isn't too bad either.

I approve.
Meep :3

kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:14 pm

jack1974 wrote:Yes of course it's all a matter of tastes. But I need to figure out which is the most popular taste :)
I agree on QoT, I'm surprised about SIT, since I think some characters, like Shiori, are really cute!

If I asked her to redo the PSCD characters, stuff like this could turn out, which I honestly don't think is bad, otherwise I don't know anything anymore about art :o
Oh of course, I think having manga is the best way to go, since most of the people who do like realistic are not turned off by manga at all. As far as SIT, my main issue was the style's lack of detail to the faces + accentuating the breasts (Or in Shiori's case her pose XD) and the artist needing a tad bit of work on poses has the overall effect of making the characters seem a bit alien or soulless. If I didn't know you, I would have assumed it was a complete fanservice game by guys for guys.

Sorry for that tangent, but wow those characters look great! I feel those who prefer realistic, like the characters to look unique in a different way. Due to the techniques of manga art, characters are often personalized more by their hair/pose/clothes while nose, mouth, and face structure are very minimal. It is not a bad thing, just part of the style. QoT puts details in those areas which make them look more like people and appeals I think, across the board?

pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:20 pm

jack1974 wrote:That's true, however they show the game in the popular list based on sales/popularity (how many people visit the page).
Since they did that new thing (before there was just "new release"):
SOTW was in the popular list.
Love & Order (!!!) was in the popular list :mrgreen:
...in practice, my last two games to appear on Steam, where in it. This one not :roll: Everything I say it's not based on opinion, but on stats I know. And I take into account the "increased difficulty" of Steam.
I do agree that art was one of the big obstacles to sales, even though I loved it. But an idea for future releases to help maybe get your games more notice, would be to give one to two weeks notice before releasing even if it is already to release in order for sites and youtubers that talk about upcoming releases to mention your game. The Co-Optional Podcast, which I watch every week, goes over the upcoming releases for the upcoming week and even gives a little description of what the game is, and with Dodger being on that podcast if you could just get your game mentioned there that is 2 million of Total Biscuit followers, plus 700k Dodger followers, plus Jesse Cox 900k followers that could potentially be exposed to your game before it even releases. That couldn't hurt at all to drive sales especially with Dodger having a love affair with anime/manga style games.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Yes, I didn't bother asking her this time (she covered Always Remember Me) since PSCD wasn't manga :) Also I kind of rushed the release a bit, since I know about some events on Steam later this month (not hard to guess what), then now there was the GDC... was a bit of a mess!
But yes in future will plan it better, you're right!

Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:32 pm

jack1974 wrote:Thanks for the feedback again. True, it's not really about manga or painted, but the STYLE of the painted art.
For example, if I could, I would have this artist draw Roger Steel :mrgreen:
However, I would run out of money after 3 images :lol: Besides, it's not only about skill but also reliability and speed. Believe me if I could I would have asked the original PS artist to do the art for PSCD. But considering took her THREE YEARS to "finish" the art for PS2... ahem... :lol:

That's why I need to take compromises. Anyway, I might even redo the art in a manga art later before the release. PSCD was an experiment but this game, it can't fail. I'm going to spend I don't know how many months on it, and it MUST do better (for sure MUCH better than PSCD!!). If I don't have enough funds I'll do a Kickstarter or something, but I don't want to screw up with this one :)
Start a KS campain and hire them already, that is another just wow artist ^_^

I do agree 3 years to do the artwork is a long time for a relatively short game, and you can not make money if you can not release the game.

Lol in hindsight, PS artist would have been a nice match for Roger Steel due to its long development time XD, but since it is nearing the finish line, we have to make due no?

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:43 pm

I just mentioned it to give a HINT of the mess that is game development :lol: when people tell me "just hire this or that guy" (for writing or art) I am like "yeah because the problem is just that!" haha there are a gazillion thing that can go wrong. I am already surprised myself by how many games (and of a decent quality) I manage to release each year (well, apart last year that I did none hehe).

Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:25 pm

I think most of the art is pretty fantastic for it's choice! My only complain are the Anja and Abhay twins. They look kind of odd-ish, and Anja, in my opinion is too masculine? in a sense. I can't really tell the difference between them. If you are keeping this art-style, perhaps it would be good to edit Anja's appearance to be a little more similar to the other female characters. Meiling's design is very gorgeous! :mrgreen:

Of course, as the designer, it's up to you! :)

ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Rebly82 wrote:I think most of the art is pretty fantastic for it's choice! My only complain are the Anja and Abhay twins. They look kind of odd-ish, and Anja, in my opinion is too masculine? in a sense. I can't really tell the difference between them. If you are keeping this art-style, perhaps it would be good to edit Anja's appearance to be a little more similar to the other female characters. Meiling's design is very gorgeous! :mrgreen:

Of course, as the designer, it's up to you! :)
I think that's the intention. To make a more butch woman and a more feminine guy.

Rinvee
Young scout

Post by Rinvee » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Hmm... I can't really decide what to feel at the moment. Some new chars are simply amazing (Ann, for example), most have really nice clothes but the shape of their lips is kinda weird for me (the twins), but the saddest thing is Arthur new look. I mean, isn't he one of main characters? And yet he looks so plain. My opinion, of course, but as for now I can't even vote in poll cuz I have rather mixed feelings about this now (and no, "neutral" option cannot cover it :lol: )
jack1974 wrote: Image
My goodness, I what whatever genre game with this art style!

Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Katicflis wrote:
Troyen wrote:
Lady Dee wrote: Something about the new style just tends to make the characters seem older (a big issue in PSCD too), or hard to pin down (where a smile vs a frown makes for a 20 year difference in appearance).

Is it really a 'big issue' when a bunch of soldiers/captains on an army base look middle-aged? Cauuse I personally get tired of manga tweens saving the world all the whole time. In reality tweens would be playing their x-boxes or picking their noses while adults did all the saving(and killing).
I totally agree that there are way too many teenager games, and it's nice playing adults. But it's one thing to play with a middle-aged adult cast. It's another when most of the cast looks like they're old enough to be the protagonist's parents. (Ideally, it would be nice to have a mix of all ages.)

And in Roger Steel's case, most of the characters look significantly older than the initial version, which completely changes the impression on what kind of story it's going to be.