Desktop Mobile Forums Blog Support Patreon

new character art

A steampunk RPG

What do you think of the new art?!? The FUTURE OF THIS GAME ART IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!

Huzzah! it's magnificent and I totally would buy this game NOW
33%
Meh, I don't like anything that is not manga, sob sob
48%
I am neutral to the art (the undecided option)
19%

Total votes: 121

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: new character art

Postby jack1974 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far, I know the writer is going to read this too. Roger Steel can be romanced by Ann, as well as Anja :wink:

Pace675
Druid

Postby Pace675 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 pm

He did do a lot better but the face proportions are still way off, his work on the outfits are bloody brilliant, but the faces no just no! The only tolerable pictures are Ann and Svetlana. The male faces are make me cringe. The bridge of Christina's nose erh wat? She part troll? When Jamie Farr's horn is smaller than what I assume is a petite female, something went horribly wrong.

Spoiler:

I have yet to cast my vote here, touch ups are needed for me to say yes. He needs to get face proportion in line. So if there is some rework done to make the face more real, with his realistic style of art then I would hesitantly say yes, other ways no. Again Ann is done EXCEPTIONALLY well Svetlana it passable. I hope that helps you decide.

Again I have yet to cast my little vote, just giving food for though, more touch ups for the rest of the cast is needed.

P_Tigras
Druid

Postby P_Tigras » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:40 pm

Mei Ling's right foot looks like a hoof. Does she have something non-human in her ancestry? :p

Exizel
Woods ranger

Postby Exizel » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:58 am

I like it but like in PSCD, sometimes they look strange, for me those characters are too realistic and enter the uncany valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K1Kd9mZL8g

Lady Dee
Young scout

Postby Lady Dee » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:58 am

Hm. The actual outfits look infinitely better and I like the general designs of the characters. But I have to agree with the others that some of the faces look really off if not down-right scary. I think the lips need to be toned down, they're way too prominent on some characters. But I think the part I dislike the most are the mouth lines depending on people's expression. They can change the age of a character by 20+ years, I think they need to be far less noticeable. People's faces don't really change that much when they smile or grimace. Characters that look fine to me are:
-Svetlana
-Ann
-Neville
-Hamilton

Maybe I'm just being biased because I'm really not a fan of this particular painted style. It's what stopped me from buying PSCD, and will continue to stop me (also I'm short on money lately so I spend it on what I'm confident with). I like the actual designs, just not the way they're painted, but I do like painted style.

I want to choose the middle option because I believe the art still needs work, just a little, but manga style is definitely not the problem here, so...

Troyen
Elder Druid

Postby Troyen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:09 am

This feels weird to be nitpicking about, but some of the boob lines look really stiff/painted on. Specifically Ann and especially Svetlana have this made-out-of-cardboard impression. Compare that to Anja or Christina, which look a lot more natural. The way the shading and shaping is now, it looks off.

Anja kinda looks like she's in her 50's, with her twin not far behind. Some of that is the hair coloring, some of that is the way her face and head are drawn. I don't remember what their actual age was.

There's something else about Ann...either her body is a bit narrow for her head or her shoulders/arms are kind of stiff. The costume itself is nice, but she just doesn't seem right. Arthur is a bit better. (I do say I much prefer this Arthur to the original.)

Hamilton looks mostly okay, though it feels like his standing pose has his arms too close to his body so it comes across as stiff.

I think I like Christina the best. I'd place her about her mid to late 30s. Another case where I think the new version tops the original.

Roger Steel came out pretty good. Body looks a bit more natural in shape, not too stiff, though his sleeves extend down quite a ways before they attach to his torso. (I imagine that makes them pretty roomy on the interior.)

Mei Ling again looks like she's old, with the graying hair and everything.

All around, it seems like the cast has gained 30 years or so over the originals (especially Ann, who looked like she was originally 16), but I don't know if that was the intent.
Last edited by Troyen on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troyen
Elder Druid

Postby Troyen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 am

Lady Dee wrote:Maybe I'm just being biased because I'm really not a fan of this particular painted style. It's what stopped me from buying PSCD, and will continue to stop me (also I'm short on money lately so I spend it on what I'm confident with). I like the actual designs, just not the way they're painted, but I do like painted style.

I want to choose the middle option because I believe the art still needs work, just a little, but manga style is definitely not the problem here, so...

I agree with you, but the poll is also misleading. The original artist also was using a painted style. There wasn't really a manga style Roger Steel.

Something about the new style just tends to make the characters seem older (a big issue in PSCD too), or hard to pin down (where a smile vs a frown makes for a 20 year difference in appearance).

Lady Dee
Young scout

Postby Lady Dee » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:30 am

Ah, to be more clear, my reference to manga style wasn't actual referring to the Roger Steel art. I just meant that I don't like middle option because it implies that if you have a problem with the art it's purely because you want manga style.

jack1974
Pack leader

Postby jack1974 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks for the feedback again. True, it's not really about manga or painted, but the STYLE of the painted art.
For example, if I could, I would have this artist draw Roger Steel :mrgreen:
However, I would run out of money after 3 images :lol: Besides, it's not only about skill but also reliability and speed. Believe me if I could I would have asked the original PS artist to do the art for PSCD. But considering took her THREE YEARS to "finish" the art for PS2... ahem... :lol:

That's why I need to take compromises. Anyway, I might even redo the art in a manga art later before the release. PSCD was an experiment but this game, it can't fail. I'm going to spend I don't know how many months on it, and it MUST do better (for sure MUCH better than PSCD!!). If I don't have enough funds I'll do a Kickstarter or something, but I don't want to screw up with this one :)

kadakithis
Druid

Postby kadakithis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:31 am

Well if nothing else, this told me what I prefer in art, lol.

I really disliked PS original art and found it kinda shabby and ill polished. Summer in Trigue is the first art on here that actually put me off a game, but I loved PSCD and this art. I think people are more used to manga style and other stuff puts them off, which completely makes sense.

I think the inbetween is QoT? I really love the art there, they look like people, but still have manga like style.

Return to “Roger Steel”