Desktop Mobile Forums Blog Support Patreon

new character art

A steampunk RPG

What do you think of the new art?!? The FUTURE OF THIS GAME ART IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!

Huzzah! it's magnificent and I totally would buy this game NOW
33%
Meh, I don't like anything that is not manga, sob sob
48%
I am neutral to the art (the undecided option)
19%

Total votes: 121

jack1974
Pack leader

new character art

Postby jack1974 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:38 pm

As you have read in another thread, the original artist unfortunately couldn't finish his job. So I hired PSCD artist for this game. Now I know some people didn't like the PSCD style (others liked it of course, depends on personal tastes).
So I have decided to start showing the characters - they will get their intro blog, but currently Fen is busy writing this AND Undead Lily so don't want to distract him with blog posts :)
For me is important to know what people think of art, since this is not going to be a card game, but a LOOOOOOONG (probably will reach around 300k words, the longest game ever!) RPG. So it means I'll probably need to work several months on it. And it definitely can't do bad. It must do at least "OK" :mrgreen:

In the next days will start adding the characters to this thread, hopefully the difference with PSCD (even if it's the same artist) will be noticeable (and more people will like it). I think personally that for a Steampunk RPG the outfits are very good, detailed, etc. Anyway we'll see what people think :o

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: new character art

Postby jack1974 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Did I say "next days"? I meant NEXT MINUTES!!!!!!

Ann (main female protagonist)

Arthur (main male protagonist)

Hamilton

Anja & Abhay (they're twins, one male the other female)

Christina

Neville

Roger Steel!

Svetlana

Mei Ling

And now the big question... is the new art good? sexy? makes you want to buy the game NOW (even if is not ready!)!??! 8)

Katicflis
Young scout

Postby Katicflis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Some characters look absolutely amazing and others look a little odd to me! I'll give a fully detailed analysis in a bit. LOVE the new Roger Steel though! Overall the clothing design is a huge improvement from the previous work.

Sylrissa
Druid

Postby Sylrissa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Pretty good, loving the new clothing designs right off the bat!, huge improvements there in my opinion. Unsure on some of the characters new faces though, still need to think about that, also wasn't Svetlana a redhead?
Last edited by Sylrissa on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zeta123
Young scout

Postby Zeta123 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:59 pm

I think some look more cartoonish and some look more realistic?

Franka
Elder Druid

Postby Franka » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm not overly critical of the art in most of your games. As long as it isn't super deformed manga, overly simple or pixel art, I'll live.

Having said that, some of those lips are scary.

fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Postby fabulaparva » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Heh, I like it so far. There are some oddities in the proportions, though, I think. Anja's head seems too big and her arms too short compared to her body, for example (especially her upper arms). A few other characters seem more finished (Ann, Hamilton). Lips among other things are a pain to draw -- try to doodle yourself and you'll see what I mean.

One of the shortcuts of manga and anime style is that you can leave a lot of the topographical shape of any face out. Just diddle in lines for eyes and draw in (a sharp angle) for the nose and chin and you're pretty much done. Once you start adding details and shape like cheekbones and nostrils, you'll get something way more unique and personable (like Hamilton up there, who looks awesome, imho), but if anything is too striking or noticeably off-whack in the facial features, it really shows (upper lips and smile lines especially) and may deter people.

Art's always a factor, but never the *only* factor on my personal purchase decision. I'll be buying this game, but not because I happen to like the art. It's more like an equation.... I like the art enough + it's an RPG + it's steampunk + I like the concept + it's a Winterwolves RPG :P + YET UNDECIDED DEMO-PLAYING FACTOR that will most likely be positive and convince me that I'll like the story & writing (& the soundtrack) enough. :mrgreen:

Katicflis
Young scout

Postby Katicflis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Overall a HUGE improvement – particularly with the outfits. Multiple outfits felt like slam-dunks to me. And overall I am really liking the direction the art is heading.

Anne’s design! I LOVE the outfit. Extremely cool/gorgeous. Something does feel a little off with the face though. Her expressions seems so small and contained – possibly because a solid amount of her face is hidden behind her wild hair? Can we maybe pin the hair back? Keep the pretty, curly look but give her an updo? Otherwise the redesign is a huge success.

I’m not feeling the new Arthur. Old Arthur had a pretty distinct style between his clothes and facial hair, here he seems to be all neutral colors, older-looking and plainer looking. Also the facial features look a tad disproportional. I’d definitely take original Arthur over the redesign. He kinda went from a slick-looking, spunky young stud to a white suburban middle-class father somehow. I notice a lot of the designs overall are heading for a monochrome/neutral feel, but let Arthur stand out. Give him back the red tie, the dark clothes to contrast the red tie, the sneaky eyes and the youthful haircut.

I have no idea what the original Hamilton looked like but Dennis’ design is a success. He’s rocking the Steampunk Crocodile Dundee. Minor complaint would be maybe giving him more movement between poses. Maybe when he tips his hat, he can set his hand on his hip as well? Again, minor complaint.

Anja and Abjay – I cant actually tell which is the female. They both have pretty lips and kinda concealed bodies. I’m thinking the short-haired one is the female cause (s)he’s got that tie-the-boobs-together-string on her chest. I actually don’t mind that whichever one is the female sibling isn’t showing off her ta-tas, but whichever IS the female could stand to have softer-looking facial-features/jawlines, maybe some lip color, and pehaps the man can have slightly narrower lips. Just a little nudge in the feminine/masculine directions. Outfits are, again, fantastic. Reoccurring theme is that Dennis is putting out some amazing outfits. The long-haired siblings stance looks a little odd though. Not sure if it’s the pose or the size of the arms or what.

Christina is effing adorable and I want to romance her. She doesn’t have a Hollywood-perfect face but she still has prettiness and lots of charm in her design. HUGE success. Great work. Love the hat. Love the design. Wonderful.

Neville is perfect. No need to change him. Really, really well-done design.

New Roger Steel went from grouchy-looking wrinkly tough guy to an Indiana Jones-esque hero type. I love the change. I suddenly REALLY hope he’s romanceable – he’s got that rugged good guy sex appeal now. Another huge success. Let mature men be romanceable please! <.<

Svetlana is gorgeous. Effing gorgeous. Love the eyes/hair/design. Perhaps center/lift her bust a little more and she’s all the beautiful fanservice this game needs. We got a fair number of pretty but properly dressed/proportioned females in the game(trust me, this makes me happy), so I feel like Svetlana is the perfect character to just be ridiculously sexy/bosom-y and not hide it.

Mei Ling looks incredible. Like, stunning. I love Mei Ling. I want to be Mei Ling. Great design. Theres a smidgen of odd whiteness in the bottom corner of her eyes – is that makeup? Not sure if the white is necessary( I’d love to see her with some green eye shadow but it’d probably be a subtle change at best). But I’m kind of nitpicking, the reality is I really love her design. A+++.

kadakithis
Druid

Postby kadakithis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:54 pm

They look absolutely beautiful! Oh my gosh, even better than PSCD. I actually love the lips and that they have laugh/smile lines. A way to tell a real smile from a fake one in real life are those lines, and it really makes them super expressive.

Also Anja is 100% my type and if she isn't a lesbian option my heart is gonna break. She is exactly the character I always wish existed in yuri games, but never is. Her only problem is dwindling forearms lol.

OhHaiMe
Young scout

Postby OhHaiMe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:53 pm

My first,most prominent thoughts are:
Ann looks stunning, Put her on a fire lit, library background and I'd hang that on my wall.
Arthur look like Damian Lewis, Who I like as an actor so it makes me inclined to like him more.
Svetlana is sexy.

Now for some more negative comments:
Anja & Abhay's faces just are not quite right.
All the Mechanical elements on the outfits looks pasted on. and I don't mean that the "It's just there to look nice and has no function" way that some people complain about in steampunk style. I mean it all looks like it's just floating above the surface of the cloth.
I'm still not really fan of the soft/blurry lighting/color of this style of art. It just looks too artificial.

Overall(Other then Anja & Abhay) I'd say it looks decent enough that it wouldn't put me off the game,and I don't really think it's bad, but this style is just not really a favorite of mine.
Last edited by OhHaiMe on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roger Steel”