Sneak Preview #17: So... where were we?

A steampunk RPG
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: Sneak Preview #17: So... where were we?

Post by DarkWolf »

To me Roger Steel looks really old, like I would say he is at least 40 and would guess he is in his middle 40's.

Now I did notice online that a lot of people around the world (Mostly in USA and Erupe it seems) seem to have a problem accepting that they are old so they try to push the bondery of old, but let's face it, past 30 is old, I don't know even a single person offline past 30 who doesn't consider himself/herself old, sure we might sometime joke around but we are in no delusion.
Most of VNs fans come from Anime background, and in Anime borderline between old and young is even lover so I am not sure about adding character that are quite that old as romantic interests. Most characters, and especially romance interest in VNs are around teenager age, young adults at most and I would say there is a good reason for that, cause even if people reading those VNs are old themselves they still tend to prefer for characters in story to be younger. Sure there are some exceptions but those are a minority.
Additionally those small eyes make them look even older.

Personally I am here for GxG romance, and GxG romances don't look so old so I am not saying this because of personal interest but rather just trying to help.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Fun thing is that "those small eyes" are perfectly normal. Like, I put a picture of a woman with similar angle as overlay on Svetlana and others, and the eyes did match perfectly.
So small eyes=how human eyes are.
I think the manga art style has irremediably corrupted all gamers' minds!!!!!!! :lol:
Anyways, I'll never ever try to do a game with a style which is not manga (big eyes, less details, etc). Even Loren's artist which was the manga artist with the most "realistic style" was drawing characters with rather big eyes, sometimes totally irrealistic, but everyone (including myself) loved his art.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

there you go: source image, drawing (of course, the angle is not the same, it's not like the artist copied completely) but you can see from the last one where I put the drawing as overlay with 50% transparency, that the eyes almost match 100% with the original.

So, human have those eyes. Then if you want manga eyes, OK I understand, but it's not like those eyes are unrealistic!! :lol:
(originally some other characters had small eyes, but in the last version they're all fixed).
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

I am aware that real life human eyes are small, but the thing is that manga style aims at making characters better looking then RL people and once you get used to something better it is hard to get used to something worse again so now when I see eyes as small as those they just look weird.
Now if it was just me, sure you wouldn't have a lot of reason to care what just one fan wants, and you can't satisfy everyone, but majority of fans of VNs are used to manga.

While i wouldn't call it corruption, yea it wouldn't supersize me if people like us (Manga style fans) would look at fully realistic portrait of normal RL person and say "what is witch this creature, why is this person so deformed, is this suppose to be some humanoid alien" :lol:

Now don't get me wrong, the artstyle isn't terrible, noting like original PSCD, but if I was in your place I would at least fix those eyes.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

DarkWolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 am manga style aims at making characters better looking then RL people
Hahah this is the best quote ever!! :)
Anyway changing the eyes wouldn't be a problem if that's really what most people want.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am Anyway changing the eyes wouldn't be a problem if that's really what most people want.
You could make a pool if you are not sure.
My prediction for results of that pool if you do decide to make it:
Manga eyes win with at lest 70%, likely 80% if you make a pool on your site/forum. Would win with 85%-95% if you make it at a place visited by whole VN fanbase.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I have no doubts about it. Anyway, artist now is busy with Volleyball Heaven stuff so I will wait once the game of that art is all done.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

DarkWolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 amNow I did notice online that a lot of people around the world (Mostly in USA and Erupe it seems) seem to have a problem accepting that they are old so they try to push the bondery of old, but let's face it, past 30 is old, I don't know even a single person offline past 30 who doesn't consider himself/herself old, sure we might sometime joke around but we are in no delusion.
What the hell did I just read? I consider 50 years "old", and that started when I was in my teens. I used to tell this story that when you got old (50 years that is, that's how I defined it), the Death Clown should come visit you, kill you in a hilarious way, and free society from the burden of old people.

When I was 30, I was still at uni, and considered no fellow student "old". We were still getting our education, still getting started on life. "Old" implies we were getting near the end of it. Hell no. I'm not facing that.

As people now get older and older due to our higher standards of living, 30 is a spring chicken. Ok, maybe a near summer spring chicken.
Personally I am here for GxG romance
I can agree on this.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Franka wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 pm
DarkWolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 amNow I did notice online that a lot of people around the world (Mostly in USA and Erupe it seems) seem to have a problem accepting that they are old so they try to push the bondery of old, but let's face it, past 30 is old, I don't know even a single person offline past 30 who doesn't consider himself/herself old, sure we might sometime joke around but we are in no delusion.
What the hell did I just read? I consider 50 years "old", and that started when I was in my teens. I used to tell this story that when you got old (50 years that is, that's how I defined it), the Death Clown should come visit you, kill you in a hilarious way, and free society from the burden of old people.

When I was 30, I was still at uni, and considered no fellow student "old". We were still getting our education, still getting started on life. "Old" implies we were getting near the end of it. Hell no. I'm not facing that.

As people now get older and older due to our higher standards of living, 30 is a spring chicken. Ok, maybe a near summer spring chicken.
That is societies way of looking at things in your country, and while we could debate witch society's way is more correct, yours where 30 year olds still act like young people or mine where nearly all have already settled down have families and say things along the lines "when I was still young..." or "I am still not for trowing away" (well ok those sayings tend to come around 35 when it sinks in that we are no young anymore, for me it just sinked in earlier) there is no much debate when it comes from medical point of view. From medical point of view your body is starting to get not what it used to be around 25. In demanding sports people tend to consider retirement around 30, if they didn't achieve anything up to that point they probably never will cause their body just can't keep up with young people any more.

Now I don't judge tastes, Old people romance is just not for me, even if I am old myself I see no charm in old people romance (Unless they simply don't act their age).

And again, I am here for GxG so man romance options being old isn't of my personal interest.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

DarkWolf wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 amIn demanding sports people tend to consider retirement around 30, if they didn't achieve anything up to that point they probably never will cause their body just can't keep up with young people any more.
Certainly, for super professional athletes that is mostly true, but then I will disagree that the transition is young -> old with no steps in between.

Any-anyway, I know that manga/animé culture celebrates youth (I'm not sure there are characters that don't fall into child, young, (surrogate) parent, grandparent roles), so I understand that fans of manga expect their characters to reflect that, I was just reacting to the "old after 30" label.