Art thread

A steampunk RPG
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: Art thread

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Not sure how you define "steampunk lolita"? :)
I'm far from knowing about the specific fashion, but I believe the 'Lolita' style is usually someone who wears a skirt which comes to the knee, sometimes having a "cupcake" shape dress. The person usually wears some kind of blouse, knee high socks/stockings, and something on the head.

Steampunk naturally refers to the genre Steampunk, so a Steampunk Lolita would combine the two. If you type it into Deviantart, you get something like this:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk ... -245867716
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk ... -461295161

Obviously, I don't know how accurate it is or not.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah interesting. Well there is one who could be similar to that, but artist didn't sketch her yet :)
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

When I read the name Lolita, I think of the novel and Stanley Kubrick's movie of the same name.
From wikipedia:
"Lolita" is a novel by Vladimir Nabokov, written in English and published in 1955 in Paris, in 1958 in New York, and in 1959 in London. It was later translated by its Russian-native author into Russian. The novel is notable for its controversial subject: the protagonist and unreliable narrator, a 37–38-year-old literature professor called Humbert Humbert, is obsessed with the 12-year-old Dolores Haze, with whom he becomes sexually involved after he becomes her stepfather. "Lolita" is his private nickname for Dolores.

Edited to changed red to read.
Last edited by fleetp on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

fleetp wrote:When I red the name Lolita, I think of the novel and Stanley Kubrick's movie of the same name.
From wikipedia:
"Lolita" is a novel by Vladimir Nabokov, written in English and published in 1955 in Paris, in 1958 in New York, and in 1959 in London. It was later translated by its Russian-native author into Russian. The novel is notable for its controversial subject: the protagonist and unreliable narrator, a 37–38-year-old literature professor called Humbert Humbert, is obsessed with the 12-year-old Dolores Haze, with whom he becomes sexually involved after he becomes her stepfather. "Lolita" is his private nickname for Dolores.
There is a good chance the 'Lolita fashion' movement actually did come about as a response to that novel, and its implied sexuality. There is a small bit of this on Wikipedia (of course, as with anything on Wikipedia, your mileage may vary): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion

However, that is the reason I just focused on the fashion movement in my reply fleetp ;)
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

No news about Arthur?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The artist will try to make a new one each week - this week Christina was ready but Fen (writer) is on holiday :) I wanted him to introduce each character in a blog post.
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

Ah yes, that's two examples of Steampunk Lolita. There's so many styles in Lolita fasion and Steampunk Lolita is one of my favorites. I do love playing as female characters in cute lolita inspired outfits, and Steampunk Lolita would be awesome in this game <3 So I will hope that Ann might get one because her current one is a little too simple for my taste~ But don't mind me!

Meep :3
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

For those who follow the blog, there is a picture of Svetlana:

ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

One of them is the flame-haired Russian agent, Svetlana Ruskaya. Self-confident, mocking, unfathomable, and my future waifu, Svetlana is not one to fade into the background.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

While I really like the style of the new artist... I just need to show how nitpicky I can be ;-)

The boots look as if their length is different. The right one looks as if it goes just beyond the knee, the left one goes halfway up the thigh.

And for some reason I like the black and white version more.

Anyway, Svetlana makes me go all hype about the game.