Druid

Re: Art thread

Post by Pace675 »

Magnafied version for me.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Pace675 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 am Magnafied version for me.
Had no doubts about it :mrgreen:
Interesting feedback, also the one I got on twitter. At least seems that even for the realistic version, there wasn't such a backlash as the first PSCD art got!
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

For Svetlana I guess I like the mangafied version better.

But what bugs me with Hamilton is how much he changed during mangafying. Totally different shape of eyebrows (too thin!), the small age lines are gone (which I would honestly keep on this character since they are so prominent in the original sprite), the lower lip shape is a tad bit different and also is his hairstyle.
Also... I would prefer his nose to be bigger. I see that it is common to draw small noses in manga-styles, but it doesn't really make him look like himself anymore.
One might even be able to keep his wide chin in manga style. I really don't like styles where everything that helps us differentiate characters are hairstyle and eye-color/-shape.

Well, that's my two cent about it.
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes Svetlana didn't change much, while Hamilton is probably too much different from the original. Those are only tests anyway, we've not decided anything. I was just curious to see how they would look, since was enough to change only the face :)
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 am
Pace675 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 am Magnafied version for me.
Had no doubts about it :mrgreen:
Interesting feedback, also the one I got on twitter. At least seems that even for the realistic version, there wasn't such a backlash as the first PSCD art got!
:lol:

And yes the newer art style is better overall, the artist is staying out of that uncanny valley that seemed to rub a whole bunch of people the wrong way.

I am happy with the art style as-is, but as you said you know me so well that Magna rules all <3 :twisted:
Asonder
Young scout

Post by Asonder »

Eh. I'm kind of torn personally. I suppose the manga style would be more universally appealing to your players. On the other hand that style is just...soooo common in English VNs nowadays. I'm kind of bored with it to be honest. And I liked that the other style stood out a bit more.

Agreed on Hamilton though, if he's supposed to be 28(?) but a bit weathered, the manga version doesn't really get that across. Svetlana looks okay though.

Also this is mostly just a personal preference on my part (as if the rest of this comment hasn't been lol), but it always throws me off when the sprite artwork is really different from the CG styles. Didn't you say you had the romance CGs already done?
All hail Rei's booty.
GooGoose
Young scout

Post by GooGoose »

I'm... really not into the manga versions to be honest. They both look way to young, and Svetlana's eyes are creeping me out. While the anatomy could be kind of funny in the original art I prefer it quite a bit, and I like seeing a few different styles in your games.

But I get it if it brings more interest in the game, a game dev's gotta do what a game dev's gotta do.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Those two were only tests, I'm still using the other style for now. If I can get a way to make the manga version be more similar (anatomically) to the originals I could perhaps do it (only the faces). But I agree that since the romance CG are already done, even if are manga at least the head shapes should be the same.
Even in SOTW I had the CG done in a painted style, and to be honest it was quite different from the normal manga characters but it was still matching, Chalassa looked exactly like her but rendered in painted style, etc.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I'm usually on the side of manga, but I think original Hamilton looks a lot better. Both Svetlanas seem a little weird to me, so I can't really say.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I agree on that, if I make a manga version at least the original head/facial features need to be preserved :)