Sneak Preview #18 – Spies Like Us

A steampunk RPG
FenCayne
Young scout

Sneak Preview #18 – Spies Like Us

Post by FenCayne »

As Sneak Previews turns 18 in the relentless countdown towards unleashing Roger Steel on an unsuspecting world (his, if not ours), I thought it was about time I introduced a few of the companions Ann and Arthur will have to, er, deal with on their great adventure.

Resourceful as they are, our protagonist and his or her friends stand little chance of rescuing their sibling without aid. But whether they want it or not, the help they are about to get is going to make their mission that much more complicated.

The first ally they meet is the eponymous Roger Steel, an Irish agent of imperial hegemony, a pawn of power pursued not only by his own dark nemesis, but the most formidable of the empire's opponents as well.

For example, Svetlana Ruskaya, enigmatic flame-haired, fiery tempered daughter of the great Russian Steppes, whose pursuit of Steel takes her from the burning deserts of central Asia to the vertiginous heights at the roof of the world.

And Yu Mei Ling, lithe dynamo of martial energy seeking peace from a traumatic past and absolution from a proud but fraying empire.

And Hamilton Ruff, stalwart grandson of the American Revolution, mourning the theft of his country's birthright with a vow to realize it's founders' dreams in defiance of the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

With allies like these, who needs hordes of bizarre and terrifying enemies coming between them and their sibling?
ValHallen
Druid

Re: Sneak Preview #18 – Spies Like Us

Post by ValHallen »

Are they romanceable?

FIRST!!!!
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

ValHallen wrote:Are they romanceable?

FIRST!!!!
Yes. The party characters I'll be introducing in these SPs will be romanceable as Bi (meaning Ann or Arthur can romance), GB, BG, BB, or GG, depending on the individual character. Bi characters will have different reactions depending which protagonist is romancing them (same sex or opposite sex).
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

How many are romanceable in this game and how many have a friendship end? Oh and probably best to ask the most obvious question how many Party Characters are in this game?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

There are 10 party members, including the two brothers (but since they're separated early, is more likely to say there are 9 party members). So the other 8 party members beside the main characters are ALL romanceable, divided into:
2 gay only males
2 lesbian only females
2 straight male/female
2 bisex male/female
at least we got the romance balanced already :wink: I am going to post a "romance graph" like I did for the other games but since I don't have any art yet, it will need to wait a bit :)
peregrin
Young scout

Post by peregrin »

Hi,

what are the mores of those times, regarding heteronormativity? Will those who romance within their own gender be subject to discrimination and find themselves compelled to conceal their affections?

-- peregrin
Last edited by peregrin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That's a good question but I'll leave Fen to reply to it :)
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

This can be an interesting story element fitting to these past times, but I dunno if it will be fitting for the audience nowadays. It could be followed by lots of negative feedback in several countries. I think something like this will be a challenge for the writer but - as said - can be interesting.
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes is a delicate topic indeed! But if is handled well by the writer, like the slavery theme in Loren, I think should be fine. The important is that the message is clear, the society is against X, but the characters aren't, or they're trying to change the world. Even Loren slowly realize that slavery is wrong but even in the beginning she isn't like a harsh mistress, more a snob princess who doesn't know about how the outside world works.
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

That's exactly the trick for the writer :-)

The message has to be told in a soft way. If you write it like "here, in your face, accept homosexuals", several people in countries of interest (marketwise) could feel offended :-) So you have to coat this message in enough crumpets for them :D
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters