Sneak Preview #19 - What happens in Calcutta ...

A steampunk RPG
FenCayne
Young scout

Sneak Preview #19 - What happens in Calcutta ...

Post by FenCayne »

Back in the old days, when I were but a lad, the essence of a computer role-playing game was a bunch of stats bundled into groups called 'characters' pitted against other groups of stats called 'enemies' with the goal being to make sure your group of stats made it through to the end of the game. The rest – setting, motivation, presentation – was just detail.

Needless to say, as a Winter Wolves role-playing game, Roger Steel is different. The stats are there alright but, like a skeleton, well-buried beneath fully developed characters that are three-dimensional ... at least in psychological terms. :wink: And your friends and rivals are not just there as puppets with stats to be manipulated so they can do your bidding when it comes to a tough fight. They too are fully realized people who have their own needs, wants, and (of course) desires. :)

Playing a named and sexed character, with a defined past might seem like being forced to spend a week with a total stranger. Who knows whether you'll even like each other, let alone get along well enough to solve a complete mystery? But just as in real life, stuff that's happened in the past, mistakes that have been made, do not have to define your future. What happened in Calcutta stays in Calcutta ... and who knows, if Ann believes firmly enough, may never have happened at all. :wink:

As we know, the heroine Ann has been sent away by her family to end a love affair which they did not approve (times and social mores being different then). The Ann of the past is angry, bitter, love-lorn. Meanwhile, the hero, her brother Arthur, has been ripped away from the excitement of the big city to some backwater town just because his big sister fell in love with the wrong chap yet again.

It's been a long train-ride from the humid tumult of Calcutta to the austere, intoxicating beauty of Kashmir. When you join the siblings and their friends in a picturesque square in Srinagar, the past is past. Shocking events are about to propel the four into an unimagined future where their lives will collide with those of strangers they will have to rely on for their very survival.

Whether Ann clings to her lost love, forsaking all others however charming they might be; or has almost forgotten him already and is eager for new and exciting experiences, of the heart or otherwise; or is simply focused on getting her brother back and sees those around her as means to an end, who need to be managed like so many servants to do her bidding, is entirely up to you.

Whether Arthur finds new purpose in the aftermath of the kidnapping; is excited by the adventure and drama and romance of having six mysterious strangers as company; or has to be dragged kicking a screaming to rescue his sister and sees those around him as buffoons to be played in order to get his way, is entirely up to you.

As with a novel, you have no choice as to the characters you will encounter; but unlike a novel, you will have a fine degree of control both over the character you choose to play, whether Ann or Arthur, and how you relate to, or manage, those around you. About whom, incidentally, we'll be learning more shortly ...
Last edited by FenCayne on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarSel
Druid

Re: Sneak Preview #19 - What happens in Calcutta ...

Post by MarSel »

Ah I did miss these sneak previews... EXCITED!
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I was wondering if this game is going to have "friendship" endings? Like we don't know the romantic options yet but Ann and 'Tee' would make a good one. (though I think Friendship ending should not be on romance options to make it easier on the writer and coding)

"After all that happened Ann and Christina remained the best of friends. When Christina became a nurse Ann followed (either becoming a nurse or job nearby) Ann fell in love many times and Christina was always there to pull Ann out of a slump. blah blah blah"

Anyway you get the point I think it would be cool to have a friend option since keeping friends in this game sounds like it'll be tough. It would be a change if someone didn't fancy (or more likely for me completed all) the romances and wanted to get to know a character better. I don't know just a suggestion. See Star Ocean 2. Romance and friendship options :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Is a while since I spoke to Fen about this but if I remember correctly yes, friendship endings for the non romance relationship are planned :)
SilverHyena
Young scout

Post by SilverHyena »

Gah! I'm so excited for this one! It's always nice to see another sneak preview! Of course, it just makes waiting harder, but I still love getting them!

Anyway, I'm glad that it sounds like there is going to be a good deal of focus on being able to shape your character! Stuff like that always helps me get invested! I'll probably be playing all the variations of each character at some point because they all sound like good fun! :D

And it sounds like we're going to hear about some of the other characters soon! I'm ecstatic!

(And judging from the above sentences, the only punctuation I know is the exclamation point. *face palm* It just means I'm really, really excited.)
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

Ah, was waiting for a new update :3

I wonder who the artist will be? Or is it too early?
Meep :3
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

jack1974 wrote:Is a while since I spoke to Fen about this but if I remember correctly yes, friendship endings for the non romance relationship are planned :)
YAY!! Now I'm excited!! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If everything goes well artist will be the same of Loren, Seasons Of The Wolf, etc. It will be challenging for him to draw steampunk outfits for characters (especially since English is not his native language) but Fen said that will provide full reference images, so should be fine :)
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

FenCayne wrote:Back in the old days, when I were but a lad, the essence of a computer role-playing game was a bunch of stats bundled into groups called 'characters' pitted against other groups of stats called 'enemies' with the goal being to make sure your group of stats made it through to the end of the game. The rest – setting, motivation, presentation – was just detail.

Needless to say, as a Winter Wolves role-playing game, Roger Steel is different. The stats are there alright but, like a skeleton, well-buried beneath fully developed characters that are three-dimensional ... at least in psychological terms. :wink: And your friends and rivals are not just there as puppets with stats to be manipulated so they can do your bidding when it comes to a tough fight. They too are fully realized people who have their own needs, wants, and (of course) desires. :)

Playing a named and sexed character, with a defined past might seem like being forced to spend a week with a total stranger. Who knows whether you'll even like each other, let alone get along well enough to solve a complete mystery? But just as in real life, stuff that's happened in the past, mistakes that have been made, do not have to define your future. What happened in Calcutta stays in Calcutta ... and who knows, if Ann believes firmly enough, may never have happened at all. :wink:

As we know, the heroine Ann has been sent away by her family to end a love affair which they did not approve (times and social mores being different then). The Ann of the past is angry, bitter, love-lorn. Meanwhile, the hero, her brother Arthur, has been ripped away from the excitement of the big city to some backwater town just because his big sister fell in love with the wrong chap yet again.

It's been a long train-ride from the humid tumult of Calcutta to the austere, intoxicating beauty of Kashmir. When you join the siblings and their friends in a picturesque square in Srinagar, the past is past. Shocking events are about to propel the four into an unimagined future where their lives will collide with those of strangers they will have to rely on for their very survival.

Whether Ann clings to her lost love, forsaking all others however charming they might be; or has almost forgotten him already and is eager for new and exciting experiences, of the heart or otherwise; or is simply focused on getting her brother back and sees those around her as means to an end, who need to be managed like so many servants to do her bidding, is entirely up to you.

Whether Arthur finds new purpose in the aftermath of the kidnapping; is excited by the adventure and drama and romance of having six mysterious strangers as company; or has to be dragged kicking a screaming to rescue his sister and sees those around him as buffoons to be played in order to get his way, is entirely up to you.

As with a novel, you have no choice as to the characters you will encounter; but unlike a novel, you will have a fine degree of control both over the character you choose to play, whether Ann or Arthur, and how you relate to, or manage, those around you. About whom, incidentally, we'll be learning more shortly ...
Before this particular post I wasn't terribly interested in the Roger Steel game, but I have to say I'm totally sold now. I'm going to have to go through the rest of the game's previews to read more.
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

jack1974 wrote:If everything goes well artist will be the same of Loren, Seasons Of The Wolf, etc. It will be challenging for him to draw steampunk outfits for characters (especially since English is not his native language) but Fen said that will provide full reference images, so should be fine :)
true

there is a lot of reference material that you can gather for ideas. But I'd recommend to do the artwork to be a bit too much steam punk/industrial than a compromise between steam punk and "usual" fantasy artwork. In this way you have the chance to give this game a special note out there, since steam punk is still a small part of the gaming cake.

hmmm now I want cake :D
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters