Sneak Preview #21 - Roger Steel: Missing in Action

A steampunk RPG
daikiraikimi
Woods ranger

Re: Sneak Preview #21 - Roger Steel: Missing in Action

Post by daikiraikimi »

Maelora wrote: As to 'unconventionally attractive NPCs', I'm all for it. I get really bored of the parade of identical pretty-boy bishies that are male love interests in most games. Most of the time I can't tell them apart. A male LI who was older or rugged could still be handsome, just a bit different from the usual fare.

And for lesbian love interests, I wouldn't mind a girl who looks like a bit 'dykier' for a change.

Definitely agree here, especially on having more boyish female characters.

On "unconventional attractiveness" I think people worry a lot about their characters being attractive, more than most gamers in my opinion. (Look how many people wanted to date Phillip in Planet Stronghold, haha.) I mean, if you look at a bunch of pretty characters, a lot of gamers (like me) will play the routes of interesting characters even if they don't fit our "types" or what we find attractive. I recently played a game on Android where you can date lots of different characters, and surprisingly my favorite character was very different both from my usual "type" and from what I was expecting would be my favorite.

You also have games like Mass Effect where you can date aliens which I doubt most people find attractive, but their personalities are great so looks don't really figure in. Also, I don't know whether this is true for other people, but I often play romance routes of characters I'm not attracted to, or not even romantically compatible with (in terms of romantic orientation) just because they're cool and I want to know more about them.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that you can have "attractive unattractive characters." Rather, characters who don't look attractive per se, but also don't make your eyes throw up. (Kind of a weird analogy.) And these characters can make your super attractive characters stand out more. For example:

Image Image Image Image Image

All of these characters are not particularly attractive, but that just makes these look more attractive by comparison:

Image Image Image

There's also this character, who isn't conventionally attractive. She has a bit of a cleft chin and masculine eyebrows, traits often considered unattractive in women, but I think she is visually appealing anyway.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think the best is to have variety of choices. And I understand what you mean. I think the worst is to have "standard pin-up characters". I mean of course SOME can be like that, but not EVERY ONE. That's why in the other RPG I'm working I have a tall muscular barbarian as female romance. She is really muscular, not like Loren who even if was intimidating, still was very feminine/graceful :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Okay I'm a bit worried now - I remembered that the writer is from Canada, the state of Alberta, and you've seen the crazy floodings that occurred there in past days... I sent him an email but no reply. This isn't good :(
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Just got a reply from Fen. Yes he is in the flooded region but luckily his house is higher up so he is safe! As you can imagine there will be a bit of delays but you should hear back from him in the next weeks :)
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

(Pppst, we have provinces and territories, but not states. =,D )

And yea, I live in BC, and have family in Alberta in the flooding regions. >_<; Glad Fen is okay, I can definitely see why the writing will be paused for the time being.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Indeed I was about to write "Region" but then I wasn't sure, so I wrote state. Wrong two times :lol:
Hope your family is OK! Floodings are scary :(
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Funny, I just came back from vacation in Vancouver. The weather forecasts for the other side of the Rockies were terrifying!
Solvus
Young scout

Post by Solvus »

Didn't know where to put this link, but I think this outfit looks great for steampunk hope you consider it :)
http://www.amazon.com/Corset-Super-Stor ... 21&sr=1-20
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Nice indeed. I know Fen wanted to send me full references for the characters and the outfits to use, but this one looks good for sure :)
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

I really like Steampunk Lolita, so I hope you will get some inspiration from that fashion ;3 It would be adorable for the female main character to wear it <3
Meep :3