Sneak Preview #23 - In the company of strangers

A steampunk RPG
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Sneak Preview #23 - In the company of strangers

Post by jack1974 »

Wait just to be clear doesn't mean that when in 22 weeks we'll get to sneak preview #1, the game will be ready! I wish :lol:
Will just mean that by that date probably the plot writing will be all done, and also I hope a good amount of art (at least the lineart) and also the coding. But as always, when developing games, everything can happen (and WILL happen) to delay the process :)
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

ValHallen wrote:so whar are you saing in the sneak preview is that we cant have all ou party members with us by the end of the game, since helping one of them might annoy another ans that person will leave the party? so we should think careful about our decisions because they can make someone betray us?
if it is what you want to say, well it will be awesome
That's something like what I'm saying, although with rather fewer typos. :wink: I do indeed hope the party management/relationship system will be awesome. :)
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

MarSel wrote:Sounds like my kind of game (even more!) I love games ( I know it's not quite the same) where you have to pick and choose which members to get and no way can you get them all but a party where you can't keep them all sounds good too :)
Yes, you might get all the characters easily enough, but whether you keep them or not ... well, that's your story :)
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

biscuit wrote:Sounds like LOADS of replay value. :O

Do you get the opportunity to pick/choose your character's personality, or is it more a decision-making process that you do? (ie: being friendly/joking/stern, like in Loren, or more 'I make the big decisions, but other than that, my personality stays the same') kind of deal, like in... uh, can't think of any good examples on that last one, really. (Maybe the Scheherezade game?)
Yeah, we are aiming for great replay value! :)

We'll explore more of the PC personality customization in a future Sneak Preview. However, at the moment the idea is that your early choices of demeanour will influence and even control the later conversation options you have. For example, if you start off being rather mean and sarcastic, then later on, your array of conversation choices may be limited, unless you make some effort to build bridges. Also, some characters will like you more if you are a bit 'spiky' and forward, while others prefer more respect and formality. And unlike Loren, the conversation choices will be actual conversation snippets which give you an idea of the conversation's direction rather than simple tags.

I have played a bit of Scherezade and I know what you mean. The PCs in RS&tHE are more open to role-playing than Scherezade's. Both Ann's and Arthur's personalities are pretty flexible despite the backstory being fixed to some extent. For example, it's up to you whether Ann is pining for her lover, ready to move on and find someone new, or needs some time to mend a broken heart. You can choose aspects of their past experiences and they will become part of your story and your Ann's or Arthur's personality and in turn affect how the other characters perceive the PC.

Hope that's reasonably clear for now. :)
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

Foelhe wrote:
jack1974 wrote:No will be like Loren, each decision will shape your personality/relationships with the other characters. There will be a similar character creation in the beginning too, where you choose the class, attributes, backstory etc by answering some questions (or telling the story of your life to someone).
I was wondering how that was going to work. You mentioned on the blog that Ann had just been in a "forbidden affair", I'm guessing you get to decide on the details if you're playing her? Any other examples you can give for this?
I kinda responded to this in the reply to biscuit. If you'd like more clarification let us know. The character building will be more guided by conversation choices than in Loren. At the moment I'm thinking that some conversation options might even result directly in stat increases - some reflecting past (pre-game time) experiences, and some simply reflecting the growth of the character over the course of the game and her/his interactions with party members. Some party member, for example, if they like you enough, might teach you to use a particular weapon more effectively.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

there will be a new sneak preview today?
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

MarSel wrote:Oh oh I have a question! I like Loren's personality change BUT It didn't change the way the romances work, will it this time? Like for example (Jade Empire) If you were evil you could turn Dawn Star and Silk Fox evil too. What I'm wondering is with the different personality will the characters like or dislike you more? I'm not explaining it right let me try this.
Like this, but in reverse! :lol: Your companions are who they are. If you are interested in one, then you might have to adapt your attitude to one that they respond to. If you treat them with respect (whatever that means for the particular character), then they might meet you half-way. But I don't really want to view this in terms of 'good' and 'evil'. Every day most of us make compromises against out better judgement in order to get others to see things our way or for a quiet life. None of the characters you meet are psycho- or sociopaths, or will go to any lengths to achieve their means. They may be a more or less flexible with their morality, or see the world only in terms of achieving their goal (and none of them shares your particular goal) , but they are ultimately (fairly) reasonable, logical (and fallible, susceptible) human beings.
MarSel wrote:Will a certain character NOT like you if you are too nice (or visa versa) Like in Star Wars The knights of the old republic if you were "dark" (evil) the "Light" (good) characters wouldn't like you at all or at least not as must.

Sorry rambling I just love games like this!
Yes, this is very much the spirit of the Roger Steel relationship system, but without the light/dark dichotomy.
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

MarSel wrote:And I know this will be in a later preview but what classes will there be? A unique kickass power for the MC this time. Healing is great but the MC should always be the most all out powerful Character at the end, if not most the way through the game.
How about the greatest lover in the world? :lol: Seriously, we'll try to make your Ann or Arthur as kickass and true to your personal vision as we can. They will certainly be uniquely skilled in the context of the party they travel with.
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

deathknight1728 wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Since the game is set in an alternate reality, there will be "professions". So you can have secret agents, nurses (heheh 8)), journalists, etc. However we'll probably indicate a "class equivalent" in the character screen to make it easier to understand. Right now the plan is to have Warrior, Thief and three variants of the Mage. Scientists, which can be: Healer, Naturalist, Technologist.
Of course everything is just work-in-progress so might change. As for the alignment yes, characters have specific alignment: there are some good people and some "evil" ones and they'll react differently to your actions. By evil I mean more selfish of course, it's not like you'll have a serial killer in your party... at least I think :lol:
Sometimes when a serial killer/extremely negative character is in party it can cause MAJOR problems. I had a guy named zert from Temple of elemental evil in my party and he crashed my game for me. I was in a dungeon fight with some bandits and he just flat out left the party and backstabbed my rogue killing him and making my experience awful.

I had to laugh though as I read gamefaqs and got to the part where it said Zert is the traitor of the module. It still never explained why he was evil as it didnt make much sense that he would be working for undead or kobold bandits :)
In effect, all your companions (with the exception of your best buddies who start out with you) are looking for an opportunity to 'betray' you. Of course, what that betrayal means, both to you and to them, depends a lot on the story as it develops. In effect, one of the goals of the game is to give every member of your party a good reason not only to not 'betray' you to actually help you realize your goal - whether they initially want to or not!
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

ValHallen wrote:there will be a new sneak preview today?
I'm not sure there'll be a sneak preview today. I wanted to catch up on the posts first. But I do have the SP mapped out in my head and it will introduce your first 'bro' (or 'soul sister' if you prefer) and describe the relationships between the two sets of siblings, so it should be worth waiting for, I hope. Within a couple of days, I'm thinking. Anyway, for SPs in general I think it's best to expect one every couple of weeks rather than every week, and then I stand a fighting chance of at least meeting your expectations! But I do appreciate your interest in Roger Steel and his debut adventure. :)