Sneak Preview #23 - In the company of strangers

A steampunk RPG
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Sneak Preview #23 - In the company of strangers

Post by jack1974 »

No will be like Loren, each decision will shape your personality/relationships with the other characters. There will be a similar character creation in the beginning too, where you choose the class, attributes, backstory etc by answering some questions (or telling the story of your life to someone).
Foelhe
Young scout

Post by Foelhe »

jack1974 wrote:No will be like Loren, each decision will shape your personality/relationships with the other characters. There will be a similar character creation in the beginning too, where you choose the class, attributes, backstory etc by answering some questions (or telling the story of your life to someone).
I was wondering how that was going to work. You mentioned on the blog that Ann had just been in a "forbidden affair", I'm guessing you get to decide on the details if you're playing her? Any other examples you can give for this?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'll leave this to Fen if he has time to reply, but maybe he is planning to talk about this in a future sneak preview (I don't know the content of the previews myself, he sends them to me each week).
Foelhe
Young scout

Post by Foelhe »

Right, sorry. I was going to ask that when you guys started talking about the main characters, but when you mentioned the questions in the beginning I couldn't help but jump in. :lol: I imagine I'll be asking a lot more questions when you guys start discussing details - for now I'm just trying to be patient.
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Oh oh I have a question! I like Loren's personality change BUT It didn't change the way the romances work, will it this time? Like for example (Jade Empire) If you were evil you could turn Dawn Star and Silk Fox evil too. What I'm wondering is with the different personality will the characters like or dislike you more? I'm not explaining it right let me try this.

Will a certain character NOT like you if you are too nice (or visa versa) Like in Star Wars The knights of the old republic if you were "dark" (evil) the "Light" (good) characters wouldn't like you at all or at least not as must.

Sorry rambling I just love games like this!
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

And I know this will be in a later preview but what classes will there be? A unique kickass power for the MC this time. Healing is great but the MC should always be the most all out powerful Character at the end, if not most the way through the game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Since the game is set in an alternate reality, there will be "professions". So you can have secret agents, nurses (heheh 8)), journalists, etc. However we'll probably indicate a "class equivalent" in the character screen to make it easier to understand. Right now the plan is to have Warrior, Thief and three variants of the Mage. Scientists, which can be: Healer, Naturalist, Technologist.
Of course everything is just work-in-progress so might change. As for the alignment yes, characters have specific alignment: there are some good people and some "evil" ones and they'll react differently to your actions. By evil I mean more selfish of course, it's not like you'll have a serial killer in your party... at least I think :lol:
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

jack1974 wrote:Since the game is set in an alternate reality, there will be "professions". So you can have secret agents, nurses (heheh 8)), journalists, etc. However we'll probably indicate a "class equivalent" in the character screen to make it easier to understand. Right now the plan is to have Warrior, Thief and three variants of the Mage. Scientists, which can be: Healer, Naturalist, Technologist.
Of course everything is just work-in-progress so might change. As for the alignment yes, characters have specific alignment: there are some good people and some "evil" ones and they'll react differently to your actions. By evil I mean more selfish of course, it's not like you'll have a serial killer in your party... at least I think :lol:
Sometimes when a serial killer/extremely negative character is in party it can cause MAJOR problems. I had a guy named zert from Temple of elemental evil in my party and he crashed my game for me. I was in a dungeon fight with some bandits and he just flat out left the party and backstabbed my rogue killing him and making my experience awful.

I had to laugh though as I read gamefaqs and got to the part where it said Zert is the traitor of the module. It still never explained why he was evil as it didnt make much sense that he would be working for undead or kobold bandits :)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

deathknight1728 wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Since the game is set in an alternate reality, there will be "professions". So you can have secret agents, nurses (heheh 8)), journalists, etc. However we'll probably indicate a "class equivalent" in the character screen to make it easier to understand. Right now the plan is to have Warrior, Thief and three variants of the Mage. Scientists, which can be: Healer, Naturalist, Technologist.
Sometimes when a serial killer/extremely negative character is in party it can cause MAJOR problems. I had a guy named zert from Temple of elemental evil in my party and he crashed my game for me. I was in a dungeon fight with some bandits and he just flat out left the party and backstabbed my rogue killing him and making my experience awful.

I had to laugh though as I read gamefaqs and got to the part where it said Zert is the traitor of the module. It still never explained why he was evil as it didnt make much sense that he would be working for undead or kobold bandits :)
Good old Zert... He was a "chaotic evil spy" for the Temple of Elemental Evil pretending to be a bored caravan guard interested in some adventuring while awaiting the arrival of his caravan. It was his job to not only spy on, but also to sabotage and destroy adventuring parties that decided to snoop around the ruined moathouse, and possibly other Temple interests. He wasn't working for or with the undead or kobolds per say, they were just the outer defenses, adventurer fodder if you will, that his bosses had set up. He wasn't stupid enough to take the adventurers on all by his lonesome, so he'd wait until they were otherwise occupied in battle and betray them. Although, to be completely honest, I never played the computer game, I just DM'd the original D&D tabletop module from which it was derived. There weren't any kobolds in the original module, but there were plenty of human bandits and undead.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

I am quietly sitting on the side lines as the writer tantalizing teases us with tasty tid bits of what lays in store for us. All I have to say is I am liking what is developing here. But what now has me thinking is the number of weeks till we get to the final bit of info. Heh we all know what assuming does so got to ask is that a goal for a approximate release time after the last bit of a teaser?