classes

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: classes

Post by jack1974 »

Yes there's still the points system but to a smaller scale, so not 0 to 250, but more like 0 to 20. This way each point spent will have a noticeable impact immediately on the game :) Scaling cost is an option indeed, for those "crazy ones" who want to increase psionic for a soldier... :lol:

I prefer the idea of Psionic having some exclusive abilities instead. A problem of PS1 is that was too easy to have similar class builds IMHO, while each Class should show more differences, like in all RPGs. So even using the scaling cost idea, a Soldier should NEVER be able to reach a Psionicist level of skills in Psionics.

About the hero thing, I am planning to have a set of unique abilities for each character, and that would obviously include the playable character (hero).
Elmsdor
Young scout

Post by Elmsdor »

That does sound good, unique PC related traits and skills.

Also, I feel that some physical skills might be useful that uses SP as well. Not everything SP related should be psionic.

Does this mean the Hero doesn't have to pick any of the initial 4 starting classes?

Cheers
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No you can pick, but every X level you get a unique skill for your character, no matter which Class you picked (same for the other party members).
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

Not to pester but after seeing some pics, will there be 4 party members in the new game or is it like Loren where it can be 6? Im wondering because it seems there are more class/npcs in this game.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No there will be still 4 like in the first game, and there are still 8 party members, there are more NPC though since works better to make the story more interesting :)
SerTabris
Young scout

Post by SerTabris »

If you keep everyone's classes from the first game, I think there might be a plot issue if soldiers have no psionics, since (if I recall correctly) Rumi is classified as a soldier.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In the first game Rumi was a Psionic and Philipp a Scout by default.
However, to balance the game, their classes were changing slightly depending on the main character class. If you play as a Psionic, Rumi is a Soldier/Psionic mix, while if you play as Scout, Philipp becomes a Soldier.

In the sequel though we'll just have 8 playable characters + the player (so 9 in total):
Psionics: Rumi & Jacob
Soldiers: Michelle & Damien *
Guardian: Tom & Milo *
Scout: Rebecca & Philipp

* those two are not yet final, meaning that their classes might be swapped.
SerTabris
Young scout

Post by SerTabris »

Oh! Interesting. I've only played it once so far, as a Psionic, so I had no idea.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If you are going to play again consider testing the 1.5 version I just uploaded :) thanks
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

Anima_ wrote:We are actually doing quite a bit more then this table indicates to define the classes.
My theme write up for the soldier is already a page long, and it's really just to get the theme done. Though it's so far the only class with a full theme. I have a pretty good idea already for the rest of the classes. Simply didn't got to write them up yet.

Soldier will be the class to go if you like blowing things up. They are the main damage dealers on your team and can take down foes a Guardian simply isn't able to deal with. That's why that table will change quite a bit.
Regarding the Guardian, I'm responsible for the changes. Naming an offensive class Guardian is just a tad on the wrong side of odd. (And it's still a mystery how Jack ended up on that naming scheme, we still have no idea. If you are able to shed some light on the mystery by all means feel free to speculate. :lol: )

Though I can assure you all that a Guardian will not simply be a Soldier with heavier armour. We will certainly provide you with a proper excuse for including Michelle in your party. Hopefully it will be something like: "Because she rocks!" At least that is my personal design goal. :wink:

Sorry that I'm kind of vague, but I'm just not done with the class design. So there isn't that much to tell. The same goes for the armour and weapon design, the table at the moment still goes with the classification from the first Planet Stronghold. Since we have some extensive changes to the system already you can expect quite a few changes there as well.
Anima, you rock!

I hadnt read this post before and I think that I will be reprising my 1st playthrough with a soldier with this game as my 1st char. I like the fact that soldiers are actually going to have a use other than just blasting things. Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with that, but making them able to take down enemies that guardians cant is cool. How have you figured the Scout will get planned out, O wise one ;)

Seriously scouts are my 2nd favorite class because of the lethality of them. Theyre not hardy, they are fragile, but they can still deal lethal 1 shot blows and retreat back into cover. I doubt I will play any of the games as a guardian but who knows. I would like to keep reading more about the classes and the changes as its very exciting!
?