development thread

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: development thread

Post by jack1974 »

Yes it's a nice system, similar to many FPS like Borderlands for example. The armor bar could even slowly refill like in that game (in that game it was called shield). Though since it's not real time, it could become too cumbersome. I don't think will use it here also because I am also planning to use the fortitude points system you (Anima) designed, it should be interesting.

For those who don't know it, in practice you have two battle stances, cover/open. If you stay in cover, you recover FP. If you move in open, you consume FP and once reaches zero you take more damage from enemy hits. Of course while in cover you shoot slower or badly while in open you can shoot more faster/accurate to balance everything.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Anima_ wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 am I wonder if a system where armour gets it's own hitpoints would be easier. Basically you have two health meters, health and armour. Normally before health is damaged armour must be depleted. But armour hitpoints have a defence value, so they take less damage. Healing for armour would be separate and much harder to come by. It would be binary, either you're armoured or not. Which could be both good or bad.
Also it would allow some sneaky attacks that bypass armour and deal direct but lowish health damage, or conditions like poisoned(irradiated might be better for PS) that deal health damage over time.
Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs had something like that. However, only shields can be recovered during battle while health cannot. The main character is the only one that can generate shields consistently, so he was essential against overwhelming numbers and/or hard-hitting foes.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

My actual inspiration is the 2.0 update for Stellaris were they had problems with their unintuitive armour system for starships. I'm really developing a taste for simple mechanics. :lol:
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Jaeger wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 pm Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs had something like that. However, only shields can be recovered during battle while health cannot. The main character is the only one that can generate shields consistently, so he was essential against overwhelming numbers and/or hard-hitting foes.
I prefer to not put such "hard limits", unless they make sense for plot-reasons.
I like to give possibility to heal, but have big trade-off - if only being a slow skill, or having a high cost, so players need to think if it's worth trying to heal or maybe try to attack instead.
Anyway in next days I'll try to do some more experiments about defense and regenerating it, could be interesting to do. Worse case if things don't work out well I can always use the existing system :)
Anima_ wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:26 pm My actual inspiration is the 2.0 update for Stellaris were they had problems with their unintuitive armour system for starships. I'm really developing a taste for simple mechanics. :lol:
Welcome to the club! I never finished games like Pillars Of Eternity despite being good, but too many (unclear) rules, too many skills. I think a game doesn't need 500 skills or rules to be fun, more like the opposite!
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 am Of course while in cover you shoot slower or badly while in open you can shoot more faster/accurate to balance everything.
Slower sure, but poorer? Guess it depends on the weapon. I assume most snipers shoot from cover rather than an open field.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes that's a good point. I need to think about this since indeed doesn't make sense for snipers :lol:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Shooting while lying prone is generally more accurate than shooting while standing, since the ground provides extra support while holding the gun steady. Shooting while standing is more less a last resort, where obstacles are too tall or there isn't enough time to crouch, sit, or lay down.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm I think maybe that fortitude thing doesn't make really sense then :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Today took a break from the RPG stuff to check the story, and lol I had completely forgot that Aleema before leaving wrote several scenes. Currently the game has already 44k words :lol: the first one was around 70k words total if I remember correctly, though of course I was aiming to make a bigger game this time. But anyway was a nice surprise since most of that writing can be saved so I'm at a better point than I thought!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

started "upgrading" the existing map code to my new code. The game was half-coded back in 2013-14 (I think? lol I don't remember anymore) but used a different system from now, so I'm updating the old code to work better with modern versions of Ren'Py :)