Skills

Forum for the Loren Amazon Princess spin-off games
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: Skills

Post by yayswords »

Anima_ wrote:Health and BP will be completely refreshed after every battle like in Loren (with the customary exceptions).
Anima_ wrote:I don't really share your worry there but we'll definitely have a reset option this time.
Anima_ wrote:And if we have to remove more timesinks to get yayswords back, we will, I swear on my desiccated humor glands.
Aww <3
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

yayswords wrote:
Anima_ wrote:Health and BP will be completely refreshed after every battle like in Loren (with the customary exceptions).
Unfortunately it looks like we'll have to scratch that. Health will be in the five digits and regenerate at 1 point every 100 ticks. BP only at each chapter.
yayswords wrote:
Anima_ wrote:I don't really share your worry there but we'll definitely have a reset option this time.
Scratched too. In addition we'll persist your choices so that they'll remain even if you reload or start a new game.
yayswords wrote:
??? wrote:And if we have to remove more timesinks to get yayswords back, we will, I swear on my desiccated humor glands.
Aww <3
That's not from me, since I don't have a sense of humour.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

If skills can be used at any time, what would discourage players from spamming it for the entire battle?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The skill yes, but the boosts (which would make skills much more effective) have specific requirements. Of course it's everything still in early stages :)
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Jaeger wrote:If skills can be used at any time, what would discourage players from spamming it for the entire battle?
Nothing. We want you to use skills throughout the entire battle. And of course you can make your skills even more awesome with boosts.
Part-time emotionless AI
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

Its hard to wrap my head around it. I feel its one of those systems that is easy but hard to explain.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

You're probably right with that. But let's try it one more time.

In Loren 1 you could learn higher level versions of skills you already knew. Those versions were a fixed package. More damage, wider area, more duration and so on.

In Loren 2 you are not restricted by a fixed package. Instead you learn boosts that increase damage or increase the area or give your effects more duration and so on. These boosts can be freely combined to create your own package.
A higher level skills would simply allow you to use more boosts in that package. In addition you don't have to decide on your package in advance. You can change what's in it every time you use the skill.
Even the maximum size of the package can be temporarily increased by spending BP. All that flexibility comes at a price though. Not only do you need to learn these components for your package boosts also come with a condition. Before you can include the boost in your package you need to fulfil the condition.
Part-time emotionless AI
MrEnvy8
Official writer

Post by MrEnvy8 »

Oh man, that sounds super cool! Does that mean a potential side-quest to gain an ultimate package? Or something like that?
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

MrEnvy8 wrote:Oh man, that sounds super cool! Does that mean a potential side-quest to gain an ultimate package? Or something like that?
That's a neat idea. But it would depend more on the author coming up with suitable side_quests for that. You'll have to pester him until he coughs up some ideas. :wink:
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think that once MrEnvy8 wrote the side quest we could come up with some cool related skills maybe :)