Amber Full Beta 1.0.1

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Amber Full Beta 0.9.2

Post by jack1974 »

New update that fixes many bugs (some plot bugs even). I used your save myosky, and was able to finish Bernard's route successfully. I tried other saves I had just to be sure and at least this time this update shouldn't have messed up anything else!* (Bernard's bug was due to and update done in version 0.9.0 or something)

* Murphy's Law is always here though :mrgreen:
myoksy
Druid

Re: Amber Full Beta 0.9.1

Post by myoksy »

jack1974 wrote:I was able to spot the bug! A classic "wrote == instead of >=" :oops: :oops:
good. my last save before the one I sent you was half a day of playing before ; )
jack1974 wrote:Also the fact that it didn't turn out fun as I thought pissed me off :mrgreen:
Anyway, at least we're on the finishing line I think!
The fundamental design decisions are naturally fixed, so a beta phase cannot magically transform anything.
But I have one proposal that is maybe easyish to implement:
One annoying feature is the dependance on the RNG, I, as a player, don't master the game but the game masters me. The most disruptive place are the job offers, if I don't like one I can always let the game generate a new one - but I don't wilfully choose one, I simply stop the generator when seeing one not too ugly.

Would it be possible to create the 12 normal jobs (market, docks, mage's guild) only once per day and keep them static for the whole day? Then the player could take a look at the different offers and deliberately decide to pick good ones (or actively decline and do something different like studying or gathering or waiting).

The job screens for the three shops could look like this (very quick and extremely dirty screen mock-up ; )), to give a fast overview - but this would even work with the current selection tree, when it's possible to generate jobs only once per day (maybe even only once every couple or three days, so players like me would be forced to fulfil harder jobs or do something different).

The job generator itself would be untouched, the three screens would still display one job for every reward category (XP, rep, gold, items).

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's not a bad idea, however I coded the job generator myself, and unfortunately "I generate them on the fly". So having predefined jobs wouldn't be easy as it seems (it's totally NOT objected oriented code). I'll try and see if it's possible but I'm skeptical :oops:
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

Bernard's path works, thanks a lot!

And, trying a different ending, I am confused: No one asked why Lydia of Callahn is not romancable? Very untypical for players of WW games : )

Different topic - why do customers' offer an amount of XP and an unspecified sum of gold? It would be less of a bet if the latter would be also disclosed, with an unknown payment I more often than not refuse the jobs as it's too unsure if they are worth the time.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Customers you mean the ones who visit your shop? they offer the same amount of gold/XP (another "hack" I had to do in my job generator... lol).

BTW Lydia of Callahn is going to be romanceable in Loren 2 :wink:
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

the number is valid for both XP and gold? good to know, I totally misunderstood the description...
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

I completely switched to the dark side for a fast-run and just got the demon's ring. does the thing influence skill levels or is this one of the parts where the story-line is disconnected from the crafting game? (honestly curious, I missed to compare the values before and after)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No effect, though having it add some bonus would be a simple thing to add, might as well do it :)
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

Hm... This reminds me...
Spoiler:
During the the contest in the mages guild (the one that Amber might use her mother's invisibility potion to cheat and win), if she wins it, she mentioned that there is a prize for the first place. Should'nt her get some money or recipies or even an status increase by winning the contest?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the most appropriate thing is Reputation increase :)