A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Amber Beta Demo (NOT full story!!) 0.7.6

Post by jack1974 »

Download it from here:
http://www.macgames.biz/games/AMS-0.7.6.zip

What's New In Version 0.7.6
- tweaked gathering and studying, to justify the higher time used by those two activities. Gathering now gives more XP, while studying will give a random increase between 1 and 3 (before was 1 in Normal and low chance to get 2 in Easy) but weighted towards 2
- also raised the max amount of skill increase you get with crafting to 3/day
- if you craft quantity items, skill increase will be proportional up to level cap. Before you could craft a recipe x 3, and still get only +1 skill in Jewelcrafting for example. Now if you craft a recipe x3 and your daily cap allows it, you'll earn +3 skill points
- buying recipes in Mage's Guild costs reputation points too (so you can use them!)
- removed the lines in cosmina's 3rd scene where Anders is introduced again to Amber :lol:
- you can choose the job type you want to do. Useful if you need XP fast to pass alchemy test
- coded the alchemy test, added achievement and also made possible to get a game over if you fail the test 3 times beside the first one. Takes a lot of effort, but you CAN FAIL! :lol:
- removed the alignment bar in status screen since for Amber's only matters if she's "light" or "dark" and was confusing
- fixed a bug in the quality prediction for quantities over 1 in the auto-craft buttons

What's New In Version 0.7.5
- fixed (I think) the crash first time you open the crafting! (and keeping the fix to the other bug later in the game as well)

What's New In Version 0.7.4
- fixed that KeyError crash again, hopefully this time for good! :)
- added more descriptive text to the gathering actions and tweaked a bit the rewards to give more items
- fixed thief's guild chests costs (so they match, before the price was divided by 10!!). Also tweaked the contents. The last one, the "completely random" can be totally good or bad. It's really random. I tried and sometimes got exceptional deals (like spending 70 gold to get 300 in value!)
- added next/prev buttons when you open a container or gather stuff. Also added the display of the total value of the items (excluding the seasonal events, so the "base price") you have. Good to see if that chest you bought was a good deal or not :wink:

What's New In Version 0.7.3
- Amber now can also "go to bed" if it's midnight (not always "Go bed early!!")
- added a buy all items in search, though of course won't buy items if you can't afford them. need to fix that...
- the adventurer/thief's guild icons are now showing correctly in the left menu
- thief's guild now should have more items available for sale
- fixed crash based on Franka's feedback

What's New In Version 0.7.2

- the last sort selected remains active when you enter again the recipe/inventory/vendor screen
- sort by price added to vendors
- added limit of skill increase (for each skill) to 2/day. You can increase Jewelcrafting, Metalworking, etc through crafting max by 2 point each day, not more
- fixed the broken task system. if your save still has a bug, just let the current tasks expire and COULD still work (not 100% sure though)
- added the task/event menu option also in the guilds!
- fixed possible crash while clicking on the task list icon to access it in the recipe screen

What's New In Version 0.7.1

- you now have enough ingredients to craft the tutorial recipes!! :)
- reassigned the S key to screenshots. You can take them with Print-Screen or S key (both work)
- fixed a nasty bug while using the quick-shop screen that could lead to a crash when buying an item who was marked for purchase before (now works)
- fixed some typos/wrong past tenses
- now opal/quartz rune display an icon

What is it?
It's a "beta demo". The gameplay should be almost final (unless you play in VN Mode...then the gameplay IS final! :lol:). It's NOT the full story. It will end at the end of young age. It's still quite long already since 5 scenes x 6 characters = 30 scenes!

What feeback I want?
Mostly in the sim/crafting part. The VN "logic" should work (but of course there could be wrong sprites/sound/images, so let me know). I am really too tired to keep testing the crafting part on my own so I need some help.

Can I resume playing from the beta?
If you play in VN Mode, almost surely. If you play normally, depends if we'll need to tweak the crafting gameplay adding new functions to the "core". In that case you might need to restart a new game :( sorry! (I've probably restarted the game from the beginning at least 100 times already during my own testing!). Though I really don't plan to add anything new, the game turned to be one of my complex games ever made, even if maybe by playing it won't seem (but there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes).

I'm taking a break now since I'm a wreck. I might not answer forums posts until tomorrow, but at least people who want can test it meanwhile I sleep :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Amber Beta Demo (NOT full story!!) 0.7.0

Post by Franka »

First impressions:

Great music!

Oh dear, Vin still has her eye on top of her hair...

Haha, the tutorial doesn't give me enough animal blood to complete all 3 crafts.

The writing could use a bit of streamlining - it jumps between past and present tense from one sentence to the next, even sometimes in the same sentence.

...and I should get some sleep...
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Franka wrote:The writing could use a bit of streamlining - it jumps between past and present tense from one sentence to the next, even sometimes in the same sentence.
That was supposed to be fixed although a few errors might have slipped through the cracks... or the old files are being used by accident.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

From what little I've seen thusfar, Jack: EPIC EPIC EPIC stuff, just as I was sure it would be and can't wait to play more!!! :mrgreen: (Though I do kinda miss the smile Amber originally was gonna have; found that to be really cute.)

The music is brilliant, the writing is phenomenal, and the knowledge that the game will apparently be out in full has me beyond hyped.

I did run into one error in the code @ one point: when attempting to take a screenshot in the scene when Amber is sitting down to breakfast w/ Haros and Daniel (I wanted to point out that there was a misspelling of the word "grab" there; it should have only 1 "b" and is spelled w/ 2 there) when I pressed the "S" key on my laptop instead of taking a screenshot (in the game's READ ME it says that's how screenshots are taken) it opened up the crafting menu and when I click on the X @ the top of the menu to exit, I received the following message:

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 435, in script call
File "game/plot/gameflow.rpy", line 756, in script
File "game/plot/gameflow.rpy", line 756, in <module>
NameError: name 'ShopEvents' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/script.rpy", line 435, in script call
File "game/plot/gameflow.rpy", line 756, in script
File "C:\Users\Bob The Mob\Downloads\AMS-0.7.0\AMS-0.7.0-steam\renpy\ast.py", line 814, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Users\Bob The Mob\Downloads\AMS-0.7.0\AMS-0.7.0-steam\renpy\python.py", line 1719, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/plot/gameflow.rpy", line 756, in <module>
NameError: name 'ShopEvents' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187

Other than that I love what I've seen so far; the only reason I'm not saying more @ this time is that in my time zone it's nearly midnight and I should really get to sleep. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote:First impressions:

Great music!
Thanks, Loren's musician's never fails :)
Franka wrote: Oh dear, Vin still has her eye on top of her hair...
Because she's a WITCHHHHHH!!! :lol: OK OK I'll see if I can fix that maybe.
Franka wrote: Haha, the tutorial doesn't give me enough animal blood to complete all 3 crafts.
Oops. Yes I need to make sure there are at least the required ingredients for the tutorial!!
Franka wrote: The writing could use a bit of streamlining - it jumps between past and present tense from one sentence to the next, even sometimes in the same sentence.
If you can send me some examples, I believe I used the right files, the latest Forsaken sent me :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

BobTheMob wrote: I did run into one error in the code @ one point: when attempting to take a screenshot in the scene when Amber is sitting down to breakfast w/ Haros and Daniel (I wanted to point out that there was a misspelling of the word "grab" there; it should have only 1 "b" and is spelled w/ 2 there) when I pressed the "S" key on my laptop instead of taking a screenshot (in the game's READ ME it says that's how screenshots are taken) it opened up the crafting menu and when I click on the X @ the top of the menu to exit, I received the following message:
Ah I need to change the readme, S is Ren'py key default but in my own games I always use print-screen! It shouldn't still crash though, so I'll check that :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm fixing some stuff, and I realized that I didn't implement any way to raise the relationship values. At this point I'm not even sure they're needed :lol:
In practice I could do it two way:
1) add an option "go out on date" with someone in the daily sim. Doing this would increase your relationship with him/her. At specific plot points, the character with less relationship will be excluded with a breakup scene. This could be fun (though I don't plan to write extra texts for the dates) but it wouldn't work in VN Mode...
2) I will simply allow the player to make a choice at those specific plot points. "You need to exclude a character from the romanceable list" (written better of course). This probably is the best choice since would work also in VNMode without any particular adaptation needed.

It's not really important in the young age since ALL the events need to be played. It's only during the adult age that you can start excluding some character routes until I have only one at the end :)

Lastly if someone managed to play in crafting mode until the end of demo I would REALLY love a savegame, would let me skip a lot of testing :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It's not as bad as all that, I was pretty tired when I fired up the game last night, but it does jump between tenses a bit. It seems like the overall tense is the present, but sometimes it slips into the past tense for a few sentences during the same scene.

The first time is the farewell scene with Vin.

"She enveloped me in another of her warm hugs."
"I felt my eyes start to itch with tears but I held them back."
"Mother petts my hair a little before taking a step back and smiling despite the tears." (Also a typo here, double t in "pets")

There's more of that tense jumping during the first morning.

Oh, and another typo at breakfast, double b in grab: "I grabb my plate from under a pot lid and join them at the table."
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Oh, and rollback seems to have been disabled forever after the tutorial (annoying).

...ok, not permanently, just until free play starts.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

A few early observations:

It would be useful if you could see your max energy.

Crafting the tutorial fertilizers gave Potionmaking XP, but when I crafted copper ingots for a task I picked up, I got nothing? But I did the second time I crafted some, wtf?

What do those numbers mean? "Morning (80-5)" and why do they increase every time I switch location? Ah, it seems they're a time measurement, but should it really increase if I switch location without doing anything there? Just looking at the status screen causes time to pass!

The game could give a bit more feedback on what you're likely to find in different gathering fields (likely types of items and expected quality), and approximately how much energy you use for different tasks (gathering trips and crafting).

How can I tell what type an item is? I need to buy some "basic fuel", but I have no idea what items satisfy that requirement... or just a tutorial on clicking on missing components to have them show up! :)

"Opal rune" and "Quartz rune" don't appear to have pics.
Last edited by Franka on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.