Amber development

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Amber development

Post by jack1974 »

Added more interaction between the game world/time and the crafting. It was a bit hilarious before that you could decide to craft 10 items (the maximum you can craft at once is 10, as long as you have the ingredients) just before midnight :lol:
I didn't put a restriction based on Energy though, otherwise could have been too hard to remember everything. If you have low Energy/Morale, the resulting item quality will be lower though.
This means you have to manage your time each day. Hopefully people will find it interesting and not grindy :oops:
Right now means that some day you'll spend half-day studying, or go gathering ingredients, in others craft stuff, and others just take a whole day off to regain Energy/Morale.
Next step is to have Energy/Morale influence the item(s) quality... 8)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Done and done. The info above is obviously debug info. In the game you'll only see the final quality value. And wonder "how is possible that it's so LOW!!". Then realize how low are your energy/morale values and... :mrgreen:
Of course still need to tweak the impact on the quality. I want it to have some impact but I don't want to bother players too much. For sure in Easy mode, it will have less impact :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've added in manual crafting the default vs modified values of the resulting item. This way people who want can see how much quality they'll sacrifice (or gain) crafting in any specific conditions.
The formula is quite simple actually:

Code: Select all

$ quality_modifier=1.0+((AmberSkills["Energy"]+AmberSkills["Morale"]-100)/100.0)
for Easy mode, the last value is 150 instead of 100 (so the Morale/Energy impact is minor).
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:Image
Added more interaction between the game world/time and the crafting. It was a bit hilarious before that you could decide to craft 10 items (the maximum you can craft at once is 10, as long as you have the ingredients) just before midnight :lol:
I didn't put a restriction based on Energy though, otherwise could have been too hard to remember everything. If you have low Energy/Morale, the resulting item quality will be lower though.
This means you have to manage your time each day. Hopefully people will find it interesting and not grindy :oops:
Right now means that some day you'll spend half-day studying, or go gathering ingredients, in others craft stuff, and others just take a whole day off to regain Energy/Morale.
Next step is to have Energy/Morale influence the item(s) quality... 8)
Minor tweak: "The total time is dependent upon the number of items to craft."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If I can manage to make a good tasks system in the next two days, I might have a very early beta this weekend! Albeit with some known missing features (items sort, etc).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Today made an important decision. I was already thinking about it in the last 3-4 days after playing the game for a good amount of time. The Morale stat was basically a duplicate of Energy. Like in my dating sims, you would just have to keep both values high to go on. But after playing for a while, I found not interesting and almost a bother rather than a fun thing.
So, I decided to remove it! :o WHY? Because I'm insane mouhahaha :twisted:
Jokes apart, I'm going to replace it with a Level/XP system. It will be much more fun I think. You'll have a level, like in RPGs, and you'll gain a small XP amount doing the various activities (gathering, crafting) but also completing tasks (when I finally have them working).
The level is separate from the various crafting skills, but I'm thinking to link it to the maximum skills level cap. So for example you can improve up to Jewelcrafting/Woodworking/Metalworking/etc 100 if you're Level 10, up to 200 if you're level 20, and so on.

It shouldn't be grindy, since you would have to do those activities anyway (gathering/crafting). So it's not something that will change the mechanics too much, but should be more fun to play.

Also a good system for me to check the overall progress at some points, like the Amber's alchemy exam she has to take at end of youn age. This way I can check the level and if it's less than Level X (probably 10) you will fail (you can retry the exam several times though, no worries).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Example of XP gaining through crafting. I also added XP gain to gathering, and tied the crafting skills to the level. I think for today will be enough. Tomorrow I'll try to tackle the tasks system which will be a tougher thing to do :)
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote:Image
It has the alignment listed as neutral for each of the love interests.

But in a prev. post in the Art Thread it had listing of each being of a decided alignment...

Are they now going to be influenced by how Amber interacts w/ them? Or is this b/c she doesn't know any of them all that well at that point in the game?
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Their alignment always starts out as neutral and they're influenced by Amber's interactions with them.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I think your guild names should be plural possessive because guilds by definition are more than one person.

Thus, Adventurers' Guild, Mages' Guild, etc. Or at least be consistent on usage, a few places were missing an apostrophe. Maybe in the rest of the game text too.
jack1974 wrote: EV_goblins=market.create_price_event("Goblin Raids","Goblin Raids ransacked the last caravan from Grimoire full of potions. Potions prices in Town Market increase!",
Potion prices in the Town Market increase!
EV_orcs=market.create_price_event("Orc Raids","Orc Raids ransacked the last caravan from Everburn. Coal, Dwarven Coal and Everburn Lava prices increases globally!",
increase (no s)
EV_goblinloot=market.create_price_event("Goblin Loot Found","Adventurers Guild defeated a band of goblins roaming in the area: the loot consisted of ingots of various metals. Price of ingots decreases!",
The Adventurers' (add ') Guild defeated a band of goblins roaming in the area and found ingots of various metals. Ingot prices decrease!
EV_magicaccident=market.create_price_event("Magic Accident","Some apprentices at the Mage's Guild cast the wrong spell! Lots of high-level ingredients were destroyed, and they're looking to restock them quickly! Prices of all item tier5 and above increases at the Mage's Guild.",
Apprentices at the Mages' Guild cast the wrong spell and destroyed lots of high-level ingredients! The mages are now looking to restock them quickly! Prices of items Tier 5 and higher at the Mages' Guild increase!
Dragon and drake related items are more expensive!
Dragon and drake related items are now more expensive!
EV_cavecrawlers=market.create_price_event("Cave Crawlers","Cave Crawlers found in several gem mines on eastern Issanis! They ate a good amount of precious gems, making them overall more expensive.",
Cave Crawlers were found...
When you say "overall" do you mean "everywhere"? Either way, move this word to the end of the sentence.
EV_fertilizer=market.create_price_event("Unfertile Lands","Farmers all around Icesilia are worried about their fields. Some kind of curse reduced the fertility of the terrain. All fertilizer items price greatly increased!",
Infertile Lands
I would say "has reduced the fertility".
The price of all fertilizer items has greatly increased!
EV_thieves=market.create_price_event("Grand Theft","A band of very skilled thieves has robbed the Adventurer's Guild, stealing a variety of items. All item prices of Adventurer's Guild increased!",
A band of very skilled thieves has robbed the Adventurers' Guild, stealing a variety of items. All item prices in the Adventurers' Guild have increased!
EV_pirates=market.create_price_event("Pirates?","Rumors says one of the ships who has just arrived at the docks is from Shacklesplit. They could be trying to quickly resell some stolen goods. Not sure if it's true, but all tier1-3 item prices are lowered at the docks.",
Either "Rumors say" or "Rumor says"
I think you were labeling Tiers with a space now, right? So it'd be "Tier 1-3 item prices have been lowered..."
EV_locusts=market.create_price_event("Locusts Swarm","A locusts swarm has destroyed many herbs and plants all around the region. Plants and herbs prices increases globally!",
Locust (no ending s) Swarm, both title and description.
Plant and herb prices increase globally!
EV_flood=market.create_price_event("Flooded Again","The herbalist shop got flooded again! All items price increases.",
All item prices increase.
EV_taxes=market.create_price_event("Taxes, taxes","Our beloved King has raised the taxes for all shops to help fund a new Summer Palace along the coast of Reol Bay. Long live the King! All items are more expensive in Icesilia vendors.",
Nitpick: Everywhere else you've been capitalizing all words in the title. E.g. "Taxes, Taxes" unless it's a quoted reference to something.
"in Icesilia vendors" should be "on", "for", "at", or maybe "from" but I'm unsure which without more context. Is Icesilia the local town or a group of foreign merchants (I haven't been paying attention)? Are the prices for buying, selling, or both activities higher?
EV_deflation=market.create_price_event("Deflation","High unemployement and the ongoing wars with orcs and goblins has caused an economic deflation, the price of all items decreases.",
I'd replace the , with a period and make it two sentences.
EV_seafestival=market.create_price_event("Festival of the Sea","It is said that the town of Icesilia was founded on the 50th day of Arboris by some men coming from the sea, and the sea blessed the town itself with its endless resources. All guilds offer their potions and potions-related items greatly discounted.",
"some men coming from the sea" is grammatically correct but sounds a little silly since it makes those men sound totally unimportant ("ehh, don't worry about them, they're just some men!"). :) I'm not sure how to tweak this as I'm unfamiliar with the history and lore behind the town. Maybe just delete "some"?
potion-related (no s) items at a great discount.
EV_abundancefestival=market.create_price_event("Festival of Abundance","Every year the 25th of Floreas the Festival of Abundance takes place. As tradition, all the food items are greatly discounted in the market, docks and herbalist shop.",
Every year, on the 25th of Floreas,
Per tradition, all food items...
EV_jewelerstrike=market.create_price_event("Jewelers' Strike","The Icesilia jewelers, loyal to the Mage's Guild, are striking to protest against some new laws made by the King in favor of the Adventurer's Guild. All jewelry related item prices increase.",
Same comment above about Adventurers' Guild and Mages' Guild.
EV_carpenterstrike=market.create_price_event("Wood Scarcity","There's less and less workable wood around Icesilia. The carpenters are forced to import woods from distant lands. All Woodworking related item prices increase.",
import wood (no s)
EV_smithstrike=market.create_price_event("Blacksmiths' Protest","The Icesilia blacksmiths are protesting against the Adventurer's Guild, refusing to work. Rumors says the Thieves Guild is behind all this. Metalworking items prices increase.",
Same comment about Adventurers' Guild and Thieves' Guild.
Rumors say
Metalworking item prices