Amber's Magic Shop previews

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
pysali
Young scout

Re: Amber's Magic Shop previews

Post by pysali »

Being me I of course am instantly drawn to Bernard and Ruby. Also woo scanty yuri scenes! I'm really looking forward to this one, I like Aravorn's universe a lot.
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

pysali wrote:I'm really looking forward to this one, I like Aravorn's universe a lot.
Oh cool, is this game set in Aravorn, too?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Uhm I didn't think I posted info about that yet, but yes - I wanted to create a big fantasy world where all the games take place :) this one as timeframe probably is between Loren and Spirited Heart, since the dark elves are accepted in a human town, even if still regarded as "different".
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

I think you mentioned it in twitter once because I commented on it being the same artist. Sorry, I didn't realize it wasn't meant to be discussed.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Another game set in Aravorn?, it's great getting to see the world come alive as you add more to it.

Stan for me first run through, though Ruby and Bernard also caught my attention.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

pysali wrote:I think you mentioned it in twitter once because I commented on it being the same artist. Sorry, I didn't realize it wasn't meant to be discussed.
It's no problem, really :) The writer didn't make any explicit reference to Aravorn so that wasn't a problem to fix it.
An here's an exclusive preview of the first scene of the game (just texts) to get you an idea. Uses Ren'Py formatting so vi=Vin speaking, am=Amber speaking, nothing=narrator (1st person view).
"My name is Amber. Just Amber. I'm what's known as a dark elf. I've never known a dark elf other than myself. The only difference that I know of between myself and a regular elf is that my skin color is much darker."
"I also don't know much about how I came to be here. When I was just a baby, my parents abandoned me in the forest of Howlgrove, near the large town of Icesilia. That's all I know about them."
"I know... Pathetic, right?"
"One thing is for sure; If Vin hadn't found me... I probably wouldn'nt have survived."
vi "Amber?"
am "Hmm? Yes, Vin?"
"Vin breaks me out of my thoughts and regards me with curiosity and concern."
vi "You're very quiet tonight, my dear."
am "Oh, I was just thinking about some things. I was remembering how we met."
vi "I see... Yes, it's been 16 whole years already. How quickly time goes by. I still remember that not too long ago you were just a little girl who barely came up to my knee."
"This is Vin. She's the one who found me in the forest and raised me as her daughter all these years even though I've probably been nothing but trouble."
"That might sound sad, but I tried not to resent my birth parents too much. I'm sure they had reasons for what they did. I hardly ever think about them anymore."
"In any case, Vin and I have lived a rather secluded life in the forest for the last 16 years with only each other as company most of the time. I used to be confused by this as a child."
"Eventually I learned that Vin's a witch. That's why we've had to live our lives in secrecy and seclusion. Still, Vin has always been a kind and loving guardian to me."
"I don't care that she's a witch, though I imagine many others would. Even now, her kind is still hunted down like dogs. Most people think that witches exist to cast evil magic on people."
"This couldn't be further from the truth, of course. Vin doesn't deserve this kind of life... I wonder if any witch does."
"I truly appreciate that Vin tried her best to give me a normal life. Still, I squirm at the thought of being regarded as a child."
am "I'm not a little girl anymore, you know."
vi "You're quite right. 16-years old... It's about time we start thinking about your future."
am "My future? What do you mean, Vin? I'm going to be a witch, of course, just like you. It's all I've ever known."
"Once I learned that Vin was a witch, everything sort of fell into place and I grew used to the constant rhythm of our daily lives. Hearing talk of potions and magic became natural to me."
"I\ve never been able to envision any future other than following in her footsteps."
"Even though she's a fugitive like the rest of her kind, Vin still has some acquaintances in Icesilia that she keeps in touch with. They’ve come by a few times in the past, but I hardly remember because I was too young."
"Vin even knows a wizard! His name is Haros. I think they studied magic together in the past. I wonder if Haros also has to hide the fact that he practices magic..."
"Seeing my determined face, Vin laughs, but it doesn't quite reach her eyes. When she replies to me, her tone is serious and just a little bitter."
vi "My child, you don't want to be a witch. Nor should you. It's ... not the kind of life I'd wish upon anyone."
am "But I--"
"Vin cuts me off with another light laugh and shakes her head."
vi "Enough of such serious talk. There's so much to be done tonight... Amber, why don't you do some reading while I work?"
"I know this is her way of keeping me off of the subject. Vin doesn't like to talk about being a witch... It's a painful topic for her."
"It makes sense; witches are still reviled and feared in normal society, after all, but I do wish we could seriously discuss it someday. I'm not a child anymore... I'm ready for the truth."
"Vin walks over to the table where she's placed her knapsack. It's stuffed full of items she gathered while we were in the forest today. She then starts going through the cabinets and muttering to herself."
"Soon after, I decide to do as she told me and open a compendium on herbs to read for a while. Might as well be productive and learn something new about herbs."
"Vin always reminds me of the first word I ever spoke: \"parsley.\" Every day since I was a child, Vin and I have walked through the forest together, hunting and looking at herbs."
"Vin taught me how to identify them and, over time, I learned about their properties and uses, too."
"Trust me, it's not as boring as it might sound. Herbs are very useful in everyday life and some even have magical properties."
"In fact, Vin and I have just returned from just such a walk. We always head back to our cottage before it gets dark, but we were out a little later than usual today."
"Outside, the sun has almost completely set. The whole time we were in the forest, Vin seemed preoccupied with something. She's usually so calm... I wonder what could be on her mind?"
"It doesn't seem as if I'll get answers from Vin any time soon, so I open my book and get started. After a while, I get so immersed in my reading that I almost forget what we were talking about."
"Some time later, a strange smell fills the air. I can't help but look up from my book and I see Vin cooking something in a large cauldron. Curious, I go over to her."
am "What is this? Dinner?"
"I'm asking to be safe, but I really hope it isn't. Whatever it is, it doesn't smell too appetizing."
vi "Oh no, child, though you {i}might{/i} have to drink it later."
am "Really? What is it, then?"
vi "An invisibility potion."
"An invisibility potion! Those are supposed to be very complicated to make. As if anticipating my next question, Vin smiles."
vi "Yes, it was quite difficult to gather all of the ingredients, but I managed somehow. It's nearly complete now."
"I'm very confused by this sudden turn in events. What could Vin possibly be making an invisibility potion for? We live in such a secluded part of the forest that I doubt anyone could find us as it is."
"Well, there's no harm in asking, I suppose."
am "What's the invisibility potion for, Vin?"
"Vin just laughs at me again, but gently. It doesn't feel like she's making fun of me, just amused by my constant questioning, as usual."
vi "Patience. I will tell you when the time is right. We're going out later tonight... I'll explain things then."
am "What? We're going out? At night? But--"
vi "Patience, Amber."
"I reluctantly shut my mouth, but unasked questions begin to bubble in my mind, regardless. I silently watch as Vin carefully stirs the potion, occasionally adding bits of powder and dried herbs to it."
"What's going on...?"
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Thank you for the preview, looking good, kind of gives me an Atelier vibe
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

another composition featuring all the other characters from the game, from left to right: Lynn the herbalist, Manuel the adventurer, Vin the witch, Amber with the new look, Haros the wizard, Roy the noble (Stan's father) and Thomas who is Ruby's little brother :mrgreen:
faerirose
Young scout

Post by faerirose »

There are two Daniels in the main storyline? Or is Daniel the mage changeable so he's also the adventurer?
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Loving Amber new look!, Daniel the Adventurer any relation to the previous wizard Daniel?, because this new Daniel is really yum.