Love this game

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
Redemyr
Young scout

Love this game

Post by Redemyr »

Just finished the game yesterday.

I gotta say I love it.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I went with Sally and that probably will be my only walkthrough, although Anne's path seemed interesting too. Isabella was fun and all but her whole, there are guys you fool around with and there are those you bring home to mama, while realistic, didn't strike my fancy.

Sally on the other hand, got me from the moment she messed up the cooking in the intro but owned it and paid for the pizza. And the banter between those two was really amazing. She has a good heart and believes in a cause, but she's open and doesn't have an "evangelistic" attitude about it. Not to mention her sense of humor, which was both great and sweet at the same time.

And both their Springbreak moment and them walking the dogs was done beautifully. Max's final line "When her lips meet mine as the sun sets in the distance, I feel like I've made all the right choices in life" was just superb. I couldn't get it but have a wide grin in my face as I read that.

And I have to say, their last gathering in the cafeteria, where Max called everyone their friends, got me emotionally just as much as the ending with Sally did, so kudos to the devs for making this game not just about the romance.

A few things about the game itself: I was spoiled as to the fact that I needed more than 600 points combined to get the "good" ending. And while I don't usually like being spoiled, this time around I did appreciate it because it would have sucked to get screwed by something the game didn't tell me about. So while I'm ok with the game not telling me everything (like which gift to pick up) hidden mechanics are not something I enjoy that much.

Just a brief note (in-game) stating that even if those are the required numbers having more might net better results wouldn't hurt.

Talking about endings, I'm really glad I played the patched version where those two got their happy ending, as it would have sucked otherwise.

I got the ending where Max and Sally live together after they both stay in a long distance relationship, Max got two degrees (750/999)and the band stayed together

Is that the perfect ending or did I just study a bit TOO much? Max says so but then again his parents are happy. And, tbh, I had spare time to study after I've gotten the required stats so I focused on that (I didn't want to fail the experiment with Anne so I tried to get them as high as I could)

Lastly, is there a reason why studying on your own nets more grades than attending class? (I recalled Good Will Hunting's speech about his library education here) Is there any penalty for doing so? I literally slept over most of them unless it was Monday and I had the energy to spare.

Anyway, great game, looking forward to what you guys come up next.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Love this game

Post by jack1974 »

Glad you liked the game :)
About your questions: yes that's the best ending! and the attending class increasing grades less than studying on your own is mostly a gameplay decision, no special reason.
Redemyr
Young scout

Post by Redemyr »

Ok quick question, I was readying your blog and one of the scenarios if that she ends up dating Memphis! wow... so glad I dodged that bullet... :)

Curious though, what are the "failure" conditions that lead to that scenario??? you cheat on her with Isabella or something?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Redemyr wrote:Ok quick question, I was readying your blog and one of the scenarios if that she ends up dating Memphis! wow... so glad I dodged that bullet... :)

Curious though, what are the "failure" conditions that lead to that scenario??? you cheat on her with Isabella or something?
I believe you have to date someone else other than Sally
Redemyr
Young scout

Post by Redemyr »

Thanks! That is good to know... he did imply that he wanted to hit on on her...

I guess no more playthroughs as Max for me, as I definitely don't want that ending... I still might do one as Annie/Isabella down the road... maybe...

Currently playing SoTw though...