Beer.

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
ShyGuysAreTheBest
Young scout

Beer.

Post by ShyGuysAreTheBest »

Firstly, I hate the fact that there is underage drinking in this game, but why make Anne do it? Why does she have to drink the beer?! I immediately exited that scene when there was no option to not drink the beer. Please add the option to not break the law. ;___;
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Beer.

Post by jack1974 »

Uhm I didn't know about this. Here in Europe you can drink as long you're 18. Not sure how it works in USA? :mrgreen:
But remember that's just a comedy game... if you check comedy movies, you'll see they do much worse thing that just drinking! :wink:
ShyGuysAreTheBest
Young scout

But she's a good girl, and just drinks it without question after having said she hadn't had a drop of beer in her life. Not only was I irritated, but it seemed terribly out of character.

(in the USA it's 21)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well writer could answer you better than me, but in practice from my own experience, I've seen many people (shy or not) that to be accepted in a group do things that otherwise they would never think to do.
I did something very similar when was Anne's age to be accepted by a group of new friends :oops:
ShyGuysAreTheBest
Young scout

But she didn't even question it. Just drinks half the thing and move on. I bought this game without the demo first because I liked the others so much, and now here I am irritated. :C
An option to decline the beer should really be added to keep her in character.
ShyGuysAreTheBest
Young scout

Nuuuuuuu, more drinking. This is ruining the game for me. Geez, there was no underage drinking in Nicole..... >.<

Edit: Ah, here's the edit function.
Honestly I find the whole "skip event" option confusing, as that makes it seem more like a choice YOU are making rather than one she's making. It's a bit... unattached? to the rest of the experience.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

If she's 18 then it's not underage drinking, it's known as the age of majority as the vast majority of the world recognizes the age of 18 is the threshold of adulthood.

Also according to the US department of state even they say that, the age at which one is considered a legal adult in the US is typically 18. What defines a legal adult is ability to legally work, participate in contracts, vote, marry, give sexual consent, and join the military, Being a legal adult under 21 does not give one the right in most states to purchase alcohol, however.

So it's still not underage since by your own law you're a legal adult, however I still find it rather odd and backwards that you can marry, vote and join the military (which will lead to firing guns and possibly killing someone) yet you can't drink a beer with your friends or spouse. Sorry but that makes no sense to me and should be changed.
MrEnvy8
Official writer

Post by MrEnvy8 »

So I did worry a bit about having drinking scenes, since 21 is the official drinking age. Ultimately it felt less true to a Comedic American College Experience (TM) if everyone went "Welp, time to obey the law!"

That said, as Jack said- People sometimes do things they might not otherwise in order to fit in. Part of Anne's motivation early on is trying to "break out" of her small-town, shy - girl shell. To her mind drinking is what these more worldly college students -do-. So if she wants to be like them, or even just unlike herself, she has to join them. She may be a rule follower, but she's also in roman trying desperately to do as the Romans do. And everyone else seems more than happy to throw the rules out the window :)

So yes, it's in character for Anne, but I can appreciate where some people would have wished for the option to be teetotalers.
ShyGuysAreTheBest
Young scout

Ugh........ there needs to be a non-alcoholic version of this drinking game.......
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

How will a non-alcoholic drinking game work? Non-alcoholic beverages do not have any mind-altering effects.

Peer pressure can have a powerful influence over people who desperately want to fit in. As someone that drinks a little on occasion, I cannot relate to people who want to get wasted every chance they get, but that's another issue altogether.