Beer.

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
sabreene
Young scout

Re: Beer.

Post by sabreene »

Little laws are broken all the time, though. People speed, roll through stop signs and turn right into the far lane instead of hugging the curb. They own more pets than allowable by law/property (including Sally!). They use the carpool lane when they are alone in the car. They download songs and movies and tv shows without paying for them. Not that all these things are equal to drinking, it's just that all these laws are akin to the "little white lie". It's breaking the law, but it's not *breaking the law*. (Drinking and driving would be a different matter all together!)

Also, the laws are different in different states. It wasn't until the 1980's that all the states had to change to 21 years or face gov't fines. So now some states still skirt around the issue with different amendments. Some allow no underage drinking at all, some allow it in the privacy of your own premises as long as you have parental consent, some even without parental consent as long as you're home.

Calling the authorities, campus or law, could have serious repercussions -- to getting them put in jail to getting them thrown out of school. That would be a severe punishment for such a little rule breaking. Anne went to a large university away from home to experience more life and to make friends, I don't think she would do that to people she's friends with. If she did, I expect she'd find herself living with Roxanne instead :D

edit: Of course, living with Roxanne could be mighty interesting!!
Choklad
Young scout

Post by Choklad »

Calling the cops on your friends because they are adults drinking at college? OK, now we're moving away from anything that could be considered remotely in character for Anne. At this point, you're inserting your beliefs into a character that has nothing to do with them. Which is fine, I'm sure someone could write badass fanfiction where Anne is a booze-fighting variation of Batman cleaning the campus of rulebreakers. Just don't expect that to happen in the actual game.
Jaeger wrote:How will a non-alcoholic drinking game work? Non-alcoholic beverages do not have any mind-altering effects.
Everyone drinks soda instead of alcohol and then the first one who goes to the bathroom loses? :mrgreen: Or drinking something really disgusting so that having to take a sip really feels like a penalty? It's not the same as a drinking game, at all, but it could be fun. And it's certainly possible to play games like truth or dare or I never without alcohol.

Edit: Also, I agree that tying Dominic up makes no sense. Especially if you're dating him. I felt so terrible abouth that.
shot123
Young scout

Post by shot123 »

ShyGuysAreTheBest wrote:It would be fine if it weren't against the rules.
if we arrested every one for every little rule break we would need lots more room in prision when i was at uni now alcohol was allowed on the premises some of my flatmates had some but i was not going to get them in trouble over it some people like a drink (even though i don't i am teetotal)
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

Choklad wrote:Calling the cops on your friends because they are adults drinking at college? OK, now we're moving away from anything that could be considered remotely in character for Anne. At this point, you're inserting your beliefs into a character that has nothing to do with them. Which is fine, I'm sure someone could write badass fanfiction where Anne is a booze-fighting variation of Batman cleaning the campus of rulebreakers. Just don't expect that to happen in the actual game.
Jaeger wrote:How will a non-alcoholic drinking game work? Non-alcoholic beverages do not have any mind-altering effects.
Everyone drinks soda instead of alcohol and then the first one who goes to the bathroom loses? :mrgreen:
People holding their pee to win sounds more dangerous than drinking a bit of alcohol in a safe environment. You can seriously damage your bladder. Back in 2007 a woman in California died after holding her pee too long for a radio competition. :?
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

If you overdo alcohol, you can kill yourself too. Even without driving under influence, and not counting liver failure after a few decades. However, most people know where the limit is, and even if not usually there are some friends nearby who call an ambulance. It needs some real determination, just like killing yourself by not going to the bathroom.

Which is really the point which matters: If the drinkers are doing it in good fun, or are they trying to get drunk fastest? And are they able to live their live without alcohol, or do they need half a bottle in the morning to face the day? Yes, alcohol can be dangerous, but most of us know how to handle it.

In the game over a year there are a few instances where the roommates drink in a relativly safe environment: No driving under influence afterwards, no possible muggers nearby who take advantage. The absolutly worst thing they did was tying up Dominic, a guy whom I don't even really like but still is was both cruel and unnecessary. (Note they did it while still sober!)
ShyGuysAreTheBest
Young scout

Post by ShyGuysAreTheBest »

I don't know how you don't like Dominic. He's smart and kind.
Asonder
Young scout

Post by Asonder »

Depends on what your "type" is I guess. Not everyone likes that sort of character, same as not everyone likes characters like Max or Isabella. I liked Dominic well enough, but to me he was a bit uptight and controlling at times. I appreciate wanting to do things on the up and up and encouraging others to do so as well (there were certainly times when I empathized with him on this), but there were also points where he was way too forceful about it. I don't think this warrants being tied up, and I was kinda weirded out by it, but like others have said, I was willing to let it slide.
All hail Rei's booty.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

ShyGuysAreTheBest wrote:I don't know how you don't like Dominic. He's smart and kind.
Somehow this was not really the point of my rant... :wink:
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

Lonestar51 wrote:If you overdo alcohol, you can kill yourself too. Even without driving under influence, and not counting liver failure after a few decades. However, most people know where the limit is, and even if not usually there are some friends nearby who call an ambulance. It needs some real determination, just like killing yourself by not going to the bathroom.

Which is really the point which matters: If the drinkers are doing it in good fun, or are they trying to get drunk fastest? And are they able to live their live without alcohol, or do they need half a bottle in the morning to face the day? Yes, alcohol can be dangerous, but most of us know how to handle it.

In the game over a year there are a few instances where the roommates drink in a relatively safe environment: No driving under influence afterwards, no possible muggers nearby who take advantage. The absolutely worst thing they did was tying up Dominic, a guy whom I don't even really like but still is was both cruel and unnecessary. (Note they did it while still sober!)
Definitely. Even without any drunken driving involved, alcohol above a certain amount can lead into cardiac arrest if not purged. There's no doubt that alcohol can be dangerous, but the dangers of drinking are well-documented and the information is readily available. The effects of doing something like holding your pee for too long are not exactly well studied, though; the woman I mentioned was perfectly healthy before the event, died very suddenly and the exact details were never fully understood. I'm also speaking from the perspective of a person with actual bladder damage, so you can imagine why the idea of abusing the urinary tract in any way horrifies me :mrgreen:

Either way, going slightly off topic here. Back to the game-

Dominic is actually one of my favorites and I finished his path first. A bit annoying at times, but who isn't? Underneath that strong exterior he's all squishy lovely nerdiness :P

Also, blonde. I like blondes...
candesco
Young scout

Post by candesco »

Wow, discussing about an option in a game. What's next: discussing if guns in Call of Duty should be there? or swords and axes in Loren for example, because you're against weapons?
Do we have a new Jack Thompson here? I thought that kind of stuff was over. Sheesh, it's just a game. Yeah, a visual novel and simulation. So?
So yes, there is beer involved and yes the shy girl Anne starts to drink it. She doesn't get drunk though. As if this doesn't happen in real life. You probably don't want to know what happens with new students at a campus.
Vindicat, a Dutch student association, is quite famous for certains things new students have to do. I think Roommates reflects this quite good. Besides, in games often things happens which doesn't happen in real life. That is also why it is a game.
You play a game for the fun and not to reflect reallife. Saying that it is not right and demanding a change is quite ridiculous. Then the game isn't for you, simple as that.
By the way; i don't even like beer myself, but i don't mind if it is in a game or so.