Most Disappointing Ending Since Mass Effect 3 (OUTDATED)

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
SparkleBits
Young scout

Most Disappointing Ending Since Mass Effect 3 (OUTDATED)

Post by SparkleBits »

EDITED BY ADMIN: this topic is OUTDATED. All the characters have a happy endings! Some are harder to get than others, but if you reach the right stats and/or make right choices, you can have happy endings for everyone.

As you can probably tell from the title MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS AHOY for Dominic in specific but I would think
all the endings do this.
Spoiler:
So did you guys totally forget about the anger people had at Prince Cliff's ending in PS? You kind of just did it again.

I loved this game a whole lot, it was tons of fun and a joy to play and the ending killed it for me. It really sucks to play through a whole game trying to get a character's ending and have the game end with 'and then we broke up a couple of years later'. Yes I know it's realistic and most people don't marry their college lover but this is fiction and if the ending didn't flat out say they broke up it would be less discouraging. I understand a lot of people won't care but I believe a lot of people will.

This has completely killed my desire to get the endings of the other characters, I am very disappointed. I have played at least 5 of your games and this is the only one that upset me so. Other than the ending this is a top notch game which makes it that much worse.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Most Disappointing Ending Since Mass Effect 3 (SPOILERS)

Post by jack1974 »

I am not so sure if ALL the romances should have happy ending honestly? Every one has a different opinion, and I think what people should focus is the writing and the story arc of the romance. Would take me 5 minutes to tell the writer "change it so that in the end they marry". It's 5 lines of text of an epilogue.
I can do that (maybe only if you get enough points, so there's a bad and a happy ending), but I would like also to hear different opinions first. Forcing writers to write ONLY happy endings for ALL the characters seems a bit too much for me :lol:

I would recommend you get the other characters endings though since they're worth it (remember that some characters have bad endings if you don't get enough stats point).
SparkleBits
Young scout

Post by SparkleBits »

We'll I understand where you're coming from I guess I just hoped for a less concretely sad ending, anyway I did make sure I got the good ending and thanks for the polite and fast reply, I'm still disappointed but it helps to know more about why the choices were made I suppose, thanks! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'll ask the writer what he thinks about it. I'm always wary of asking a creative person (writer, artist, musician, etc) to change something. Maybe the "good ending" (combined stats >=600) could be a bit more vague and not explicitly say they broke up.
For the other endings though if you get the good one there are definitely good endings: Rakesh (both), Max - Anne, Anne - Isabella, Anne - Max, Max - Isabella (is open ending but not bad). So the ones without a real happy ending are Anne / Dominic and Max / Sally.
Though for Anne / Dominic, they still say that he is her best friend, so maybe is not too bad (I think maybe you got the "bad ending")?
SparkleBits
Young scout

Post by SparkleBits »

I really appreciate that, as long as most of the endings are a little different I'm much happier thanks so much for addressing my problem!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

You're welcome :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I feel for Jack1074 and the writers about how to approach endings. I won't deny a slight preference for happy endings myself, but I don't mind bittersweet/poignant endings as well. Loren/Elenor comes to mind as a well-done ending (for the Loren game). Hard to please everyone :)

I do think it was a good idea the 'happy endings' tougher to work...such as the stats of 600+.

Something that might be done in future games (and obviously depending on the nature of the game) is having some of the lines of dialogue also having a greater effect on the endings.

If one was to take Roommates as an example, in the Anne X Isabella romance, there is one part where Anne could mention visiting Isabella's hometown. Combine that with the stat checks above, this could account for Anne going with Isabella (mind you, I have no problem with the initial break-up as Isabella confirmed she would go back home).

Or another good one was an off-hand comment with Max X Sally. Max stated every rocker needed an activist girlfriend. This could have opened up another dialogue down the line where Max might be willing to change some of his career trajectory to accommodate that of his girlfriend.

Not that such changes in a future game need to have a 100+ endings, but a little more 'player' choice might be possible to implement. Not that it should change Roommates or anything ;)
Last edited by Miakoda on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Gotta admit, if this happens in Seasons of the Wolf I'll be inconsolable!

But meh, I hate Dominic anyway! :)

Bear in mind that Anne has SOME happy endings, even with guys (I think). It's not like he's the only guy out there in the game.

If Izzy/Anne was doomed, the lesbians wouldn't have another choice.

Loren's ending is bittersweet, but if you want a happy ending, you can choose Karen (as I did). As long as they're some choice, I don't mind.

A bit like Thane dying in Mass Effect. If you start dating him, you know he's dying of an incurable disease. You go into it with your eyes open.
wildcard
Young scout

Post by wildcard »

Wow, been quite a long time since I've been here, but stalk- I mean following winterwolves on twitter certainly keeps me up to date ;9

While I like happy endings, I'm also a sucker for drama. So for me the ideal solution is to have a good and a bad ending. Thought I don't think I can intentionally go for a bad ending, so perhaps if you get the good ending you could unlock both ^^°

But then again, I usually only go for characters I'm interested in - which in Loren was pretty much everyone, while in PS I only went for two characters :3
And I think due the writing you can often sense if a relationship between the MC and the other character can work out or not. Or like in Loren romance with Mr. Dwarf (<3) is made obvious to be not possible.
And sometimes you can imagine that a realtionship wouldn't work out in the long run, or wouldn't be a pretty pink and heartfilled fairytale story. Prince Cliff is the prime example if you play a guy and go for him. He's a prince. As such he has responsibilites and one of them is to carry on the line, while John is a soldier and has his own share of responsibilities. I went for him anyway on the second go, cause I was curious to see what would happen at all / how the winterwolves team would handle it.
And BY GOD! I'm glad it wasn't a fairytale story with a pink ribbon wrapped around it *rolls eyes*

I like the example of Thane from Mass Effect by Maelora. Sometimes you make decissions where the likelyhood of it coming back to bite you in the a.. is rather high. You know that, but still make that choice, cause you think it's worth it. To stay with the example, if in Mass Effect you somehow would have come accross a cure all of sudden, I would have been pretty cranky. Dito for if he'd have survived a certain scene. It would have cheapened him.
And ... I actually liked the Mass Effect 3 Ending. Just saying. ;P

As for Loren: I liked all endings. I even tried out all three options at the different playthroughs. I definitly didn't expect the finish when I sacrificed my own character. It was heartbreaking. Especially as I had romanced Draco at that walkthrough. Don't think I considered anything more heartbreaking T^T
But I still wanted to know and a part of me still enjoyed it. Especially that it was seen through to the end and that I wasn't stopped somehow from going through with that choice.

Sooo...
Long story short: I don't mind not having a happy ending.
To be honest, I was kind of surprised none of my favourites were dying ^^°
About 80% of the characters I like - instantly most of the time - have a tendency to have a rather short digital live ^^°

Ideally, I think, are good and bad endings. I think if you don't go after the digital partner of your choice and romance him or her - aka triggering the scenes with him/her - then you don't deserve a happy ending anyway ;P Love is hard work after all >:3
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

jack1974 wrote:I am not so sure if ALL the romances should have happy ending honestly? Every one has a different opinion, and I think what people should focus is the writing and the story arc of the romance. Would take me 5 minutes to tell the writer "change it so that in the end they marry". It's 5 lines of text of an epilogue.
I can do that (maybe only if you get enough points, so there's a bad and a happy ending), but I would like also to hear different opinions first. Forcing writers to write ONLY happy endings for ALL the characters seems a bit too much for me :lol:

I would recommend you get the other characters endings though since they're worth it (remember that some characters have bad endings if you don't get enough stats point).
It has to do with player agency in sim games. In a sim game, the player feels as if they have a fair degree of control over the gaming world. You raise your stats, you pursue some people, problems arise but depending on your character and your choices you can make things work. To have that invalidated by saying yada yada 2 years on it fell apart, robs the player of that agency. There is no control over this epilogue, isn't the point of a sim that you have some control over the way things are headed? This seems like an attempt to be artistic in a genre meant to emphasise openness. This is why people were so annoyed at ME3, Bioware's RPGs are about choice, not the illusion of choice. Some fans also behaved like spoilt brats, and went so far past the line that it may as well have been drawn in a different dimension, but I can understand their irritation. I love ME3 and I replay it to death, but I've never finished the game and I never will.

Sims are stat and choice games where you should be rewarded for having good stats and making good choices. If you aren't rewarded for having high stats and making good choices on your chosen route, what's the point of playing the sim? It doesn't matter how good the writing is on that particular arc, if there isn't the option to succeed then, imo, the sim loses some appeal.

Let me give you an example. Do you remember those old vertical flight games in the 1990s? ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--7BTOxNVkDo/U ... 74x300.gif ) Well imagine that you've spent hours progressing through the game until you reach the final level. Where, guiding your bullet-ridden, but courageous plane through the hapless enemy you leave a path of destruction as far as the horizon. Spotting your target, your final goal in the game, you start readying yourself for one final battle.

With a roar your plane explodes, then silence. Text slowly scrolls across the screen.

"Focused solely on clearing a path to the fortress of Count Evil Sodalot, you failed to notice the approach of Captain Flashheart, the enemy's ace in the sky. Descending from the clouds like an Angry Titan, he tore through your plane with endless volleys of bullets. While your plane carried you down to your inevitable grave, Flashheart drew his plane beside yours, slowly drew a cigar, lit it, and placed it in his smug mouth. A smugness he soon lost as smoke began to fill his air-tight cabin. Desperately putting his cigar out, and waving his hands as if attacking a colony of hovering flies, Lord Flashheart spiralled to his death, killed by his own hubris. And with the ground fast approaching, you allowed yourself a brief smile.

The enemy forces never recovered from the shock of Flashheart's death, and quickly succumbed soon after. And although you died before the final battle could commence, your name was remembered as the man who took down a legend, the man who cut a path to the enemy's base, the hero of the war. A statue of your likeness was erected in your home town, and the brothel you so often frequented name after you in your own honour. The name 'Randy' was, from that point on, forever associated with excessive lust and lewdness. Your name would never be forgotten. THE END"

Yeah, it's a valid ending. But it's not what I signed on for, if you know what I mean! You signed on to be the hero, not the brave soldier who sacrificed himself so that other people could win! In the sim game you sign on so you can succeed at romancing people. Not "oooh, so close but life's like that sometimes, you know."