music volume

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

music volume

Post by jack1974 »

I got an complaint by email, regarding the fact that some tracks have much higher volume than others.
Just wanted to know what people think about it, I can lower the volume, I think maybe the main menu track is too loud?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: music volume

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:I got an complaint by email, regarding the fact that some tracks have much higher volume than others.
Just wanted to know what people think about it, I can lower the volume, I think maybe the main menu track is too loud?
The main menu track is a bit loud. I didn't make note of it because I've got too many games where the initial sound/music is either to low, or to loud, and I find myself adjusting the volume knob.

I do know that sometimes, even if you mute the music, and other background sounds, you still occasionally get other sounds (such as in the kitchen with the prepping of the food, or in the music club and you get the background conversation moving).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes because those are under another "channel" in the engine, ambient sounds (so they can play together with the music). Will check the main menu song thanks, I think is the only one with that problem?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Yes because those are under another "channel" in the engine, ambient sounds (so they can play together with the music). Will check the main menu song thanks, I think is the only one with that problem?
I hope a few others weigh in on their opinion on this.

However, on my computer, the introduction music does play at roughly the same loudness as the other pieces, such as the background music during Week 2, Friday and playing as Max (and you talk as Anne).

While this isn't a problem for me (I'm so used to fiddling with volume), but my girlfriend definitely felt it was too loud. In her words, "the music for Week 2 wasn't bad because it is a softer piece, but the intro definitely could knock someone out of her seat."

For her settings (which she changed in game) was to lower both the Music and Sound volume by 50%. I think this is something to look at (depending on feedback from others as well)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Well yes, the music is too loud. Maybe not some of the slower pieces, but the main theme at any rate, and most others too (I think). However, this was not an issue for me as I just set the music volume down in the options, and then it was fine.

Maybe just make the start setting of the music volume 50% or so.

And as Miakoda remarked: The music volume must be adjusted for about any game anyway.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK thanks for the feedback. I think in any case will lower a bit the main menu, since even lowering the music in general seems too loud compared to the others.