A question about the gameplay scheduler

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

A question about the gameplay scheduler

Post by jack1974 »

I have a doubt: would be better to clearly mark the days where the events are going to happen in the scheduler ?
In Flower Shop and Spirited Heart you could get "random encounter/events" without any warning. In Spirited Heart wasn't much of a problem since the game used weeks, so then the gameplay resumed normally.
In Flower Shop they were based on the activity, so again wasn't a bit deal if you encountered someone.
In this case, the events will start in most cases in the dorm house, either in the morning or in the afternoon. Then the day will end, skipping the planned events. This because most event describe what happens in the rest of the day, so I couldn't then show texts like "today in class was terrible" if in the game text was already said that you went back home after classes :lol:

I could leave it unmarked, as a sort of surprise, or mark in the scheduler clearly when there are such events, like in this quick mockup I did:

any suggestions? :)
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Re: A question about the gameplay scheduler

Post by DunKalar »

I think, that unexpected random events are way more interesting because of the following reasons:

- In real life, random events happen (nearly every day with me xD). So since we are simulating the life of anne/max it would be more realistic and less pre-calculated. It gives the game more spice if you have to deal with unexpected results.
- it reduces the game part of pure grinding, since when you know when an event will take place, you can often just skip the "normal" stuff that happens, grinding your results. This way you have to stay more alert, which benefits such games I think.
-
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
josipa24
Young scout

Post by josipa24 »

Yup, I agree with DunKalar. I think not knowing would be more interesting.
mizu_ki
Woods ranger

Post by mizu_ki »

I agree. Surprises are more interesting. Even if you leave an event unmarked, if the player plays the game/specific route enough times the events will eventually be memorized. There are also some players that write down when events occur. So, yes, unmarked would be great!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK good, seems that the general consensus is to have some surprise :)