what I'm working on next

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: what I'm working on next

Post by jack1974 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Today's update: Cursed Lands' writer just emailed saying he'll try to make the first full moon missions next month. I am STILL working on the sidequests, but I think they should be all done next month so that's perfect timing. Obviously if I get new updates on Love Bites I'll work on that first.

Also, at this point I can reveal a bit of the "mystery": Nicole yuri story was fully written, but after considering the script length, I decided to hire Fen (who is a professional editor) who is doing a superb work to keep the game to an "acceptable" size, because it was really too big. Don't get me wrong, it was well written but just scripting it (you can laugh, it was over 500k words!) would have taken me too much time :lol: . It also had some other minor issues (like one route visibly shorter, etc) so I prefer to wait a bit more but deliver a better product :)

Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:48 am

That's...longer than a Robert Jordan novel.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am

You might remember a poll I made some time ago asking what to do with "huge games". The right answer was "trim the script down" :lol:
Basically each route was as big as one of my other games. Just crazy :shock:

DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am
You might remember a poll I made some time ago asking what to do with "huge games". The right answer was "trim the script down" :lol:
I must say I don't see even a single benefit from doing so, and think it's the worst answer you could come up with. But in the end it's your game.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm

So you would play a game with 650k words ? How should I price it, $49.99 ? and what about that single route that was 1/6 of the others? surely nothing could go wrong! :lol:
Also, even with the edit, the game probably will STILL be over 300k words, the biggest game I ever made...

DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:46 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm
So you would play a game with 650k words ? How should I price it, $49.99 ? and what about that single route that was 1/6 of the others? surely nothing could go wrong! :lol:
Also, even with the edit, the game probably will STILL be over 300k words, the biggest game I ever made...
Offcourse I would play it, In Japanese VNs it is pretty common for it to have around 600k words, and to begin with didn't many people complain that your games/VNs are short? Shouldn't that indicate that many do want your games to be longer, I didn't see many people complaining about wanting them to be shorter. It is also not uncommon for there to be a bonus route witch is far shorter then others, there is really no rule saying routes have to be of equal size, even more so if it is only one route.

I would understand it if you have yet to make a game and want it to be shorter, but already having a big game and cutting it apart to make it short? what good would that do?

Price could be a bit of problem for some, but there is ceternlly better thing to do then trow away half of game content to lower a price. You could always split routes like you did for some of your previous games and sell them separately, or you could make both shorter and longer version, call one normal version and sell it at normal rate and offer another as extended version and sell it at higher price. There is many other things you could do all of witch I find better then trowing away half of a game.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Well if you think that editing=throwing away half of the game...poor editors, people have really little consideration of their work! :wink:
Trust me: the end result is MUCH better this way.

mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:15 pm

DarkWolf wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:46 pm
Offcourse I would play it, In Japanese VNs it is pretty common for it to have around 600k words, and to begin with didn't many people complain that your games/VNs are short?
Haha poor Jack. People complaining his games are short :)
I've played many VNs on Steam and yours are BY FAR the biggest one I've played. Also it is rather easy with a .RPY decompiler to see really how much long are the renpy games on Steam. I think the closest one I found was Magical Diary at around 150,000 words. All the Others are below 50k!!!

I trust what you did, I honestly love Nicole and waiting for yuri but ... 600k words? I would have never played it.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I stand corrected, 650k was the total but also includes the mystery text, some secret/bonus routes (there are already many) etc ec. The final result will still probably be around 450-475k (at least). Also the texts that were edited are repeated lines, variations of a single line, etc. Stuff that you wouldn't have noticed anyway (especially in such a long game). In practice nothing is cut from the story, just made it flow better. Lol even JK Rowling and John Grisham have editors! It's not a bad thing (I remember another user here suggesting me to always use editors in future games).

Rincewind
Young scout

Post by Rincewind » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:48 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am
Woah... that's quite a lot. A bit more than Steins;gate!
jack1974 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm
You got me there. Play, probably yes. Pay for it? Oh, dear. That's a more complicated issue.
I never paid that much for any game, ever. :lol: