what games should I make?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what kind of story-based games you'd like me to do? (VN mode will be always an option)

You may select up to 4 options

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

what games should I make?

Post by jack1974 »

When it's too hot to work (in the afternoon) it's time for my usual CRAZY POLLS!!! mouhahah

Jokes apart this one again it's for my own curiosity. I'm indie, so in theory I should be free to do any game I want to do, but what they don't tell you it's that in reality (and now more than in the past) you need to listen what the market/public wants.
As you know I have a long queue of games I want to finish first, but once that is done, what kind of games you'd like to see in future?
Remember that I'll always have main focus in the story, and that a "VN Mode" will be always allowed (unless for some reason I really can't do it, but I doubt it). Beside that, what other gameplay (if any) you would prefer?

Plain VNs would be like Heileen/Bionic Heart (just as reference, those are old titles so should be better written, with more art, etc). Advantage: could make them faster and sell them cheaper than usual.

Dating sims with more gameplay are like Amber. They take more time since the extra gameplay even if it seems simple on the surface, it's not easy at all to balance/test/code.
Dating sim without extra gameplay are just basic stat/realationship raising games, like Nicole, Roommates, etc.

Raising/Life sim are like Spirited Heart (not necessarily fantasy) and focus on a story spanning over several years and growing a character's stats.

Complex RPGs are like SOTW :mrgreen: Obviously they're insanely hard and take really too much time to make (minimum 6-8 months). I am not planning to do another anytime soon, but maybe in a few years... :lol:

Casual/simple are like Queen Of Thieves or the upcoming Cursed Lands. Not too many skills, not 100+ enemies or 50+ skills, etc. Those are more feasible, even if obviously much harder/longer than a normal dating sim.

Adventure games... I never made one. But I would like to try one day. The closest thing I made is Bionic Heart, in those scenes when you need to move around and do various actions. They're not hard to make, though require more investiment and time because they require a lot of art, especially if you have walking characters on the screen. An easier solution is first person view.

Strategy/wargames it's something I never made either. I saw some examples of VN mixed with strategy but I forgot the names :oops: But imagine a map (maybe even hex-grid map) and combat/missions, with a story around it. Or stuff like Reign or This is the police, a story but with a main strategy/war game as main gameplay. It's something I'd like to try one day :)

Card games, are basically more games with PSCD system, though perhaps removing the randomness thing, since I believe it's what pisses off most players that aren't used to card games. This is what I'm planning to do with UL (once Anima does a few small fixes to the card framework :mrgeen:)

Last but not least... "other" - maybe there's some kind of story-based game that I haven't listed (though the list is quite long so I'm not sure what could be!). I allowed more voting since you might be interested in more than one of the game genres below (I put max 4 votes though!).
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: what games should I make?

Post by Franka »

I want more card games first and foremost! I'm not so sure about the non-random thing, but I gues I'll see what you mean when UL comes around. Could be interesting with a strategy game too.

After that, plain VNs and simple dating sims are more appealing to me than the more complicated and experimental ones. More focus on writing, less on gameplay.

So that's where my votes go!
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Another idea could be a first person dungeon crawler, like Eye of the Beholder, Stranger of Sword City, Winged Sakura, Sakura Dungeon, but with more emphasis on story.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I wanted to make a dungeon crawler since years ago, even did some pseudo-3d engine with the help of a friend (there was a youtube video I posted about 4-5 years ago). But today I would do it in plain 2d. Sakura Dungeon and similar use an open source dungeon system but I think for me would be just faster to code it from scratch (or ask Anima :lol:).
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

K, first n foremost, Jack:

COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

More Roommates-style things. I keep sayin about this and yet ya keep ignorin me. What gives?! :evil: lol :P

Also, I know I've said about this before, but what about escape-room-type games (kinda difficult to explain, but I'm sure there's vids on YT/examples of such on Steam if looked up)--LOVE those, they really work the Mind; or just puzzle-type things in general? :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes but Comedy is not relevant to this poll :) I could do a comedy game in all the genres above, though probably dating sim it's where it would work best (I really don't like as player comedy RPGs for example).
I know what are the escape the room games, I have already some ideas about those. Would probably work well in an adventure game type, or perhaps even just as (skippable) minigames in a visual novel.
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

I'd really, really LOVE to play an adventure game made by you! They are by far my favorite. ;)
So... I hope you finally decide to give it a try and we might see one at some point in the future. I'd be so excited for that. ^^
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 am I could do a comedy game in all the genres above, though probably dating sim it's where it would work best (I really don't like as player comedy RPGs for example).
Just please make sure it ain't yuri/yaoi exclusive. I wanna support ya, Brother! :)
jack1974 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 am I know what are the escape the room games, I have already some ideas about those. Would probably work well in an adventure game type, or perhaps even just as (skippable) minigames in a visual novel.
SWEEEEEET!!! :mrgreen: LOVE those things; them and RPGs are my 2 fave kindsa games!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I like combat in tactical RPGs, especially the element of movement and spacing. I recently stumbled upon Chronicle of Mars (the first act anyways). It goes to show what you can do with Ren'py. I know you stated some difficulties making a workable AI, but one can dream.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I've been asking Anima to do a tactical RPG implementation too :mrgreen: Even if it's not a full map, just some more places/positioning choices could already be interesting (a map would be better though).
The AI would be the highest challenge indeed, but as long as it's not totally stupid, I think should be fine (it's normal in most games to cheat and make the CPU more powerful to compensate the AI dumbness :lol:).