what to do with HUGE games?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

what to do with HUGE games?

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am

Let's say that one of my upcoming games (I won't say which one, and to be honest could even be more than one... :lol:) is HUGE. Like each romance route it's almost same amount of texts as a single game!
First thing you could ask is WHY/HOW that happened :mrgreen: but let's say that it happened and it's too advanced/late to go back now.

What could I do about this? I mean, I surely cannot sell a game with 300k+ words for $20. Would be crazy.
I thought to split the payments based on the routes, on mobile it's very common to ask payment for each romance route (many otome games do this).
I guess on Steam should be possible too: make the "base game free" (like a sort of demo) and then a DLC for each romance route (I remember a game doing this, wasn't a VN but some kind of RPG/card game, whispers of winter or something).
The problem would be... on my site? :oops:
For technical reason would be quite a mess. I think I could do it, but in practice I should have a serial code for EACH romance! which would be a bit nuts and also confusing when you'd want to redeem a Steam key for it.

I'm thinking if a good solution for such a game could be to just release it directly on Steam, though not sure how many here don't have it, or prefer to not use it. But that probably would be the easiest solution for me (less work). Maybe offering the "all routes version" on my site only with some kind of discount (but would be a price range of over $30... :? ).

Sigh. Well anyway luckily in future games I'll keep everything much more under my direct control and won't let such things happen again!!!

Callista
Young scout

Re: what to do with HUGE games?

Post by Callista » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Well, this is just my opinion but I really dislike the idea of making the base game but paying for DLCs. I know certain VNs do that and I really hate that. I just prefer getting all of the routes in one game. I'd be ok if there was payment for each romance route. I know that the East Tower series is like that and that's fine.

Just wondering but is there any way to cut down on the number of words for each route? I mean, if there's a lot of filler, it could be reduced through some editing.
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Wait maybe I explained badly: paying for each romance routes is exactly what I meant. It's just that on Steam the only possible way to do that would be with DLC. But would be the same as it works on mobile (like the example game you mentioned). All routes would be available immediately, and you would choose which ones to play buying each DLC (or all of them if you want).

Winkie22
Young scout

Post by Winkie22 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm

maybe if can also do a bundle with each romances orientation like the option to buy only otome romances or only yaoi romances. I hate paying for one romance at a time but I also couldn't afford the bulk purchase

Callista
Young scout

Post by Callista » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:25 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:58 pm
Wait maybe I explained badly: paying for each romance routes is exactly what I meant. It's just that on Steam the only possible way to do that would be with DLC. But would be the same as it works on mobile (like the example game you mentioned). All routes would be available immediately, and you would choose which ones to play buying each DLC (or all of them if you want).
Ok, if you mean like Mystic Destinies where the base game is free but you pay for the DLCs, yup, I really hate that option. I've intentionally stayed away from this game because of this system. On the other hand, if you mean like East Tower, then I think this is fine. Customers can pay for individual routes but there is no base game, if that makes sense. Also, I like that this is bundled.
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Sorry but I don't understand, aren't they basically the same thing? Just two different methods?
Isn't better if there's a base game so people get to know the characters before, so they can decide which one to buy?

Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am
What could I do about this? I mean, I surely cannot sell a game with 300k+ words for $20. Would be crazy.
I don't know, are you paying writers by word count? Tell them to cut down on it then, or suck it up, charge more and get fewer sales? If development cost is an issue, you need to cut something to keep the price in the sweet spot, or take the hit.

I know I want my games to be content complete, not split up behind paywalls. I find that practice with Facebook and mobile games disgusting, unless we're talking ongoing games with constant new content coming out. But maybe that's just me.

You definitely should have kept a tighter leash on this one. :wink:

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I know and in future it's never going to happen again, since I'm probably going back writing the games myself and using an editor, or use trusted people only who know how long a game should be, etc. But since in this case the "damage is done" already, I'm trying to find a solution :mrgreen:

OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:57 pm

I think a free base game with DLC for each route is fine on steam. Better even, I usually don't want to play every route in a game,why should I pay for them all?

And I think having a complete full priced version on your site is fine too. Anyone coming here to buy your games is probably already a fan and willing to pay whatever you charge.

mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:18 pm

yes, while I could buy the bundle on your site to support you, I must confess: many times I would have preferred to pay less for some games since I didn't care about some romances (yaoi for example). For me such a system would be a plus.