kind of setting/event/situation for fantasy games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: kind of setting/event/situation for fantasy games

Post by jack1974 »

That's quite some meta-game in a game! :mrgreen:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Here are some ideas

- Story about time of death kings when they ruled and war between two death knights show from prescriptive of one of them (since it doesn't seem like they are all evil or that they all get along).
- Story about war of demons in a demon realm over power shown from a prescriptive of one demon who is trying to raise in power, and/or maybe even try to find a way for demons to coexist with humans witch could later explain a later situation of Spirited Hearts and how some demons there live with humans.
- A fantasy politics story set in Avaron.
- A story about a young wolf shapeshifter trying to fit in a world after going outside of a spirit world for a first time (After SOTW).

A world of Aravorn is pretty huge so I could think of many more ideas but I think those are some I would like to see the most.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool. The "demons war" is something I've been thinking too as well, since I think would be an original/interesting setting!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

jack1974 wrote:
Jaeger wrote:How about an Aravorn in age that where science and technlogy is shifting away from the "Middle Ages"? Some possible themes you can explore...
Ah so something shifting towards Steampunk? Yes that would be cool indeed :) However it's also a big change so need to think about it, if I want to mix pure fantasy with steampunk (but I like the idea).
I wasn't aiming for steampunk specifically, although that is one of the possibilities. You can go for a more Renaissance-inspired setting if want to go for gradual/smaller changes.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So basically introducing gunpowder? :)
(I think that was the biggest change)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

The printing press was arguably the most influential invention, as it allowed text to be mass produced, and thus spread knowledge and communication.

When it came to warfare, gunpowder was definitely a game changer. Being a transition period, so there was a mix between medieval and modern arms depending how far you go. Early firearms were not necessarily better weapons than longbows, as the former were inaccurate and had long reloading time. However, they required much less training time, thus easier to field troops in large numbers, as shooting in volleys didn't require individual accuracy anyways. That being said, you don't have to strictly adhere to historical accuracy, especially when you incorporate magic and other fantasy elements in your world.
Last edited by Jaeger on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's true. Maybe magical guns which can fire spells so even non-mages could use them, etc. Could be interesting to think about it for future games :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I'm going to suggest something different: A fantasy western!
(Sorry if this whole thing is way too specific, I'm just fantasizing here)

A generation or two ago, a surface nation was driven underground, because of natural disasters, a foreign invasion by gruesome demons, religious/political persecution, or something else that's just too awful for them to easily return, and maybe will come after them at some point. They now live in a vast underground cave complex, in small communities, with a few larger, walled cities.

Light is provided by the precious glow rock, mined and quarried, and prospectors are always searching for more deposits. Both mining companies and individual miners are in operation, and there's bandits and claim jumpers and what have you. There's always need for more glow rock, and it doesn't last forever either.

Food is mostly provided by lizard farms, with herds of lizards transported between farms and towns by handlers or "lizard boys" (somebody can come up with a more elegant term). Lizard rustlers are the worst kind of scum, those guys need to hang!

Everybody favors hand crossbows because reasons! Uhm, like ease of use and all the underground critters are poisonous, so you'd best not let them get close enough to bite you. The military carries great big harpoon guns as well to handle bigger threats.

There's an indigenous people, probably lizard men or "primitive" dark elves. These are seen as barbaric by the newcomers, because they don't have the same level of technology, and can be hostile when their lands and sacred places are invaded. However, they have a rich and spiritual culture.

Yeah, I could probably go on, but you get the picture. :) Fantasy western!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Idea is cool, but what's "western" about it? :lol: well I guess since it's fantasy shouldn't have regular horses, guns, etc
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

All the "western" tropes are just transposed into fantasy elements. Hand crossbows = guns. Lizards = cattle. I suppose they can ride a different kind of lizards too. I thought that was obvious? :wink: