dropping the online activation system

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

dropping the online activation system

Post by jack1974 »

Starting with Never Forget Me, I have decided to stop using the online email activation system. There's a bug in the new Ren'Py that crashes the libraries/functions I was using, and seems quite annoying to make it work.

But it's not just because of that: the thing is that I am getting too many support requests, since recently the OS manufacturers are going nuts with "security" (and here I could make a long discussion about how really "secure" are the new OSes... haha). This means firewalls and other thing preventing access to internet from applications, or making it much harder to make it work correctly.

Anyways - originally I had made that system because was easy to use and remember. While the serial code is not easy to remember, assuming you do backups or even better use Gmail or other email system that keep a copy "in the cloud" shouldn't be a problem to retrieve the serial in case you change computer. Worse case you can just email me or [email protected] to have it resent again :)

Also, many people now either buy my games directly on mobile or Steam, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal for most users.

The older games still have it working of course, but when I update them, I'll remove the feature.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: dropping the online activation system

Post by Troyen »

I couldn't actually get it working in PSCD 1.1.3 and had to fall back to the serial code. Is the Ren'Py bug affecting that game already?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No, that was a case of firewall or some other sorcery I have no clue about :) but yes, I had many people recently who couldn't make it work, so that's also why I decided to give up with it.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I prefer to just save my receipts in an email folder and look up the serial number. I activated Loren with email once, but the fact my email was displayed on the title screen really bothered me.