future card games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: future card games

Post by jack1974 »

What you mean "normal version"? The one on my site? I have no ways to know if people bought it on Steam or not, so I cannot guarantee this. But in any case if you're thinking about waiting to get it less expensive, in future I'm going to match Steam with my site prices, including discounts. Of course depends where you live since Steam has regional prices so for example in Mexico will be cheaper (I cannot set regional price with my site vendor) :)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I love your stuff so much I try to always buy it full price when it first comes out but I rarely buy stuff for myself and can afford it.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote:What you mean "normal version"? The one on my site? I have no ways to know if people bought it on Steam or not, so I cannot guarantee this. But in any case if you're thinking about waiting to get it less expensive, in future I'm going to match Steam with my site prices, including discounts. Of course depends where you live since Steam has regional prices so for example in Mexico will be cheaper (I cannot set regional price with my site vendor) :)
The dollar in my country has skyrocketed, so if I buy your game now that cost $25 (like the special version of SotW) instead of paying $52 of local currency, I would play more than $100 of the local currency. While I really like your games, I cant really pay it on a game in a financial crysis.
So I'm wanting for Steam, because of the regional prices. I just wanted to know if I could get the version of your site if I brought on Steam.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes in such situations I understand completely. Well, I think that if you buy on Steam and run it once, it should "unlock" also the version on my site. But for this particular game there won't be any difference (same content, since it's not sexy enough to be censored by Steam!).
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote:Yes in such situations I understand completely. Well, I think that if you buy on Steam and run it once, it should "unlock" also the version on my site. But for this particular game there won't be any difference (same content, since it's not sexy enough to be censored by Steam!).
No problem, I just dont like using Steam. I'm only using it now because I have no other way.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

You're not the only one pushing back against a race to the bottom:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/w ... k-revenue/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I think the price needs to match the effort (time, money, etc) you spent on the game, and match the genre. A roguelite for $20 for example would be hard to sell from my experience.
I would have no problems selling a game for $9.99 but... it should have contents for $9.99 :mrgreen: when my games always have more than 150k+ words and a lot of art, original soundtrack, etc... selling at anything less than $19.99 is a suicide.

That of course are the standard prices for US/EU area. I understand that some people like ValHallen living in other places cannot afford games at full price, and that's where Steam regional pricing comes handy :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I'm kind of curious, since you're based in Italy, does a strong (expensive) US dollar help or hurt you more? On one hand, you'd get more Euros from all the US sales. On the other hand, I'd imagine the high prices negatively affect your non-US sales.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's honestly hard to know for me. On Steam / direct most of sales comes from USA, but for example on mobile I never checked :) I think in general more expensive US dollar is better, at least right now.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well after about 45 days (game was out the 22nd January) I still haven't recovered the game costs (which means I still haven't earned anything from it). And Miakoda was even VERY generous for her pay. Unfortunately it didn't keep selling as the first two weeks, it rapidly dropped... :(
The main problem I think is the amount of art needed to make a card game. The various 120+ cards, etc.

However, it's also true that is a new kind of game for my users. When I did Planet Stronghold, initially didn't sell much. Then after did Loren, I had two RPGs, and was better. So there's also that to consider. Also, in the costs I also include the art/writing for the PSCD DLC, which is not out yet. So it might not be so bad :)

I will surely make Undead Lily card game, then I'll see how it goes. I still have to do the PSCD Steam launch of course, that might change things even if recently Steam won't make a big splash as it used to do :lol: