And now for something different

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: And now for something different

Post by Troyen »

DarkWolf wrote:
Troyen wrote:
aeroprism wrote:Soooo... considering that Winterwolves's games more often than none end up with "and they all dated ever after", how do you guys feel about a really, really unfair story?
Have you seen the Chalassa ending? ;)
Spoiler:
But that is only if you don't do her quest and get her bad ending, her true ending both original and DLC are pretty happy
Spoiler:
If you reread the beta notes from the writer, that was the original true ending until there were enough complaints or Jack stepped in and said it was too dark.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Troyen wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:
Troyen wrote: Have you seen the Chalassa ending? ;)
Spoiler:
But that is only if you don't do her quest and get her bad ending, her true ending both original and DLC are pretty happy
Spoiler:
If you reread the beta notes from the writer, that was the original true ending until there were enough complaints or Jack stepped in and said it was too dark.
Spoiler:
I didn't know that, I am really glad that in the end it was decided to add happy ending. But as things are now I think it is safe to say that a happy ending is a true ending, Jack even said that he will most likely use that ending as a canon for a future games that are related to SOTW (Take place directly after it)
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

The game you refer to is a normal fantasy RPG. It's rather uncommon to have overly dark endings in such games BUT it's always nice to have the possibility to get a darker game sequence/event. In Mass Effect 3, you can have Tali commit suicide, which to me is unthinkable because I freakin <3 Tali but I respect the fact that the option is there.

The game I am writing however is meant to be filled with such scenes. To the brim. I'm not saying that a happy ending can't happen, I'm saying that it should not be the norm.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

aeroprism wrote:The game you refer to is a normal fantasy RPG. It's rather uncommon to have overly dark endings in such games BUT it's always nice to have the possibility to get a darker game sequence/event. In Mass Effect 3, you can have Tali commit suicide, which to me is unthinkable because I freakin <3 Tali but I respect the fact that the option is there.

The game I am writing however is meant to be filled with such scenes. To the brim. I'm not saying that a happy ending can't happen, I'm saying that it should not be the norm.
The scene in ME3 you are referring to where eater Tali or Legoin commit suicide, I loved that scene but only because you still have a 3rd option where you can save both, if there was no way to avoid it I would definitely hate it. So like I said I love sad stories as long as there is a way to still get a happy ending. I know some people believe that if story is dark/sad from beginning that it should end sad too but I completely disagree and honestly can't even see much logic behind that opinion, when I read a sad story I always find myself chairing for characters to overcome their problems and menage to get a happy ending.
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

I understand you perfectly because Tali and Legion are main characters that you can have in your party and that massively influence the game's ending. Also, Mass Effect is a Sci-Fi game, not a horror game.

Coming back to the nurse who inevitably dies in Silent Hill 1. You can't prevent that, no matter what you do. I personally think that it's what made this scene so powerful. If a game's intent is to be dark and scary, sometimes, it needs to break the illusory barrier that says "it will be all right in the end".

It doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be ALL bad, but there need to be some "oh crap" moments. Like most horror movies. Even at the end, when the protagonist escapes and lives, it's not uncommon to have that scene that will have viewers cringe just one last time.