And now for something different

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: And now for something different

Post by Troyen »

aeroprism wrote:the NPCs will have certain traits that you usually do not find in a romance sim.
Like intelligence and common sense? ;)
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

I'll start by saying that I have no problem with lack of choice in a story.I enjoy books and kinetic novels just as much as other mediums.I know that's not what you are making, but what I mean to say is that as long as the story is actually good that's all that matters me.In fact I'd say the only time choice really adds to a story is when it either drastically changes it or (what I think is the best use of choice in a VN style game) when it revels different information about the story. (the best example of this to me is Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)

I do have concerns that you talk like you made some new thing,but it sounds like you are just describing a regular visual novel.Now I know I haven't actually seen your work but that's a big red flag for me.Because in my experience whenever someone feels like they are being clever they are not. It may be a good idea but often times it's not as impressive to other people as it is to you. So when you emphasize that in your design it ends up falling flat.
For instance a game with No combat, No inventory and No exploration. That aims at being solely story driven. Is not "a game that breaks from the usual" to me. I have had experiences like that many times before,for me it's completely ordinary.

I feel like I'm getting a bit harsh here,especially without knowing anything about the project, but the way you talk makes it sound like you could use a good editor or producer to go over your work with a red pen. And again,I admit I have no right or reason to say this other then just a gut feeling and I could be wrong.But I'm usually right about this kind of thing so I feel I must offer my opinion in case I'm not just crazy and it could help the game to be better.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote: Like intelligence and common sense? ;)
Tsk my dating sim characters are all smart and...hmm Nicole going in that abandoned building alone... OK you're right! :lol:
OhHaiMe wrote:For instance a game with No combat, No inventory and No exploration. That aims at being solely story driven. Is not "a game that breaks from the usual" to me. I have had experiences like that many times before,for me it's completely ordinary.
I think aero was talking about games in general. For people used to visual novels is not uncommon indeed, for general gaming a bit more :) Also I think he was comparing it to games like Loren, in which (excluding the RPG part of course) you can also move freely on the map or do camp talk in any order.
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

jack1974 wrote:I think aero was talking about games in general. For people used to visual novels is not uncommon indeed, for general gaming a bit more :) Also I think he was comparing it to games like Loren, in which (excluding the RPG part of course) you can also move freely on the map or do camp talk in any order.
Pretty much. Even those liberties will be denied in the game I am writing.

But OhHaiMe is perfectly correct as well. I do sound like a guy who thinks he just (re)invented the wheel but there is a very simple explanation for that: Except for Loren, I have zero experience with VNs. None whatsoever. So as I am making this game, my brain keeps screaming "You're making a game with just a linear story and limited choice?? People will eat you alive!!" While what you're saying is: "Oh look, a VN project, cool!" This is the perfect answer to my original post: it tells me that what I am doing right now is not only common among this crowd, it is expected! Cool! Now I can work with my mind at ease, knowing that the recipe I am following is one that has already been tried and tested!

And you were not being harsh. If I wanted to pretend that everything was happy and well, I would not have asked for honest opinions on a public forum ;)
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

aeroprism wrote: Except for Loren, I have zero experience with VNs. None whatsoever.
I assumed as much,but didn't want to be too presumptuous and comment on it. But I actually think this is a good thing,Inexperience is quite an exiting thing.You've not yet been exposed to the usual way of doing things so, while you may fall prey to the tropes and mistakes others have made before you.At the same time you're not pressured to do things the "normal" way, so I look forward to seeing what new things your unique perspective and background can bring to the genre. Like I said a VN is just a another medium for storytelling, as long as you have experience with that then you can do well. Especially if you have someone who is experienced and knows the community like Jack to help push you in the right direction.
I'm hoping,no, I'm confident that Jack can rein in your abundant enthusiasm to bring us a good game.
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

That's the plan! I fully intend to have my material checked and rechecked by knowledgeable people to avoid errors, loopholes and to make sure that any dumb ideas I could have are pointed out BEFORE the game goes public.

It is my first experience so, all the help I can get, I will gladly take!
canyonaz
Young scout

Post by canyonaz »

"No combat." - Hooray!
"No inventory." - Good with that!
"No exploration." - I like exploration, but I don't need it in games.
"This game aims at being solely story driven." - Hooray, again!

Things that make a game memorable for me tend to be story, characters, and art. As others have said, story-focused genres like visual novels, interactive fiction, and the like are among my favorite genres.

That is cool and kind of different that you'll be including romance in a horror game. I hope the horror comes from the situation and not from who/what you are romancing.
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

haahhaha that's a very valid question.

Fact 1 = this will NOT be a zombie game. There are enough zombie games as it is.
Fact 2 = this is sci-fi so, no vampires, monsters or strange critters.

Actually, "horror" was a pretty poor choice of word on my part. It will be the kind of "scary" that's hardest to write: no gore, no tripes, no cheap scares.

Just fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of the strange, fear of the dark.

Jack, stop me if I'm taking too much speech liberty here.
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

aeroprism wrote: Actually, "horror" was a pretty poor choice of word on my part. It will be the kind of "scary" that's hardest to write: no gore, no tripes, no cheap scares.

Just fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of the strange, fear of the dark.
I believe the word you're looking for is...
Spoiler:
Suspense! *dunn,dun,dunnnnnn...* :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think when I fist described the game was "psychological horror" :)
And yes romance seems weird in such a setting, but I couldn't do a game without romance!