Desktop Mobile Forums Blog Support Patreon

Discussion about future games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
BobTheMob
Druid

Re: Discussion about future games

Postby BobTheMob » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand, Jack: even as far back as the original tabletop RPGs fights are one of the utmost main staples.

How could one create an RPG w/ so few battles? :|

(As always, NOT MEANT AS AN ATTACK; I'm simply confused.)
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters

jack1974
Pack leader

Postby jack1974 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Since each battle would be a sort of little story, I couldn't have 100 battles. It would be more like a CYOA game, than a "standard CRPG".

Franka
Elder Druid

Postby Franka » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Not a great fan of trial and error style combat, though I can see the appeal of being able to do more descriptive writing over just showing abstract numbers.

jack1974
Pack leader

Postby jack1974 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 pm

Well it wouldn't be something like "win/fail". Think about various rounds of combat, but each round with unique/different texts and consequences based on choices+stats. On each round you can increase/decrease the win score, so you could win (or lose) the battle in different ways :)
For sure they're not easy to do, and as usual the problem is that I cannot write those scenes myself, so it's harder to find writers who can do such things. But it could be interesting.

Jaeger
Druid

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 pm

So it's basically a series of skill/stat checks? Depending on how the whole thing is setup, it could be flexible enough to use in-non combat situations.

BTW, the the link to your latest blog post is broken.

jack1974
Pack leader

Postby jack1974 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 am

Well the thing is that it's how the "combat" would work :) Will be more clear once I have a working example.
What you mean the link is broken? I had an issue with some plugins recently but I see the latest blog post just fine :oops:

edit: ah in the homepage, yes I fixed it now. By mistake a post I auto-queued showed up yesterday :mrgreen:

Return to “General discussion about MY games”