Discussion about future games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Discussion about future games

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote:Hey you should make a full 3D MMORPG!

Most mmos have you grind mindless repetitive tasks to gain favor with some faction for new gear and stuff. A WW MMO might have you grind mindless repetitive tasks to earn favor with a faction so you can romance their members!
Haha instead of killing rats, kissing rats :twisted: :mrgreen:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:Yes unless I somehow manage to simplify them vs the current plans. Even the original PS1 which was very "simple" (compared to recent RPGs), took me about 6-8 months to make. I believe I'll have both stories written this year anyway, so at least that will be a big progress done.

In summary much depends on the RPG part. If people would be OK with a gameplay similar (not identical) to the first title, it should be relatively "easy" to do. The original game had only 8 Psionics skills and they were shared, so not even individual skills. Compared to even QoT (the most simple RPG I made recently) that is much easier!
Because even if QoT has only 3 party members, it has a lot of skills (12 x 3 = 36 individual skills for the party) and many enemies with several skills too. In PS1 there are skills as well, but for example each enemy has ONE special attack. That's it :) As you can imagine it's much easier to do this way!!

So if I do the next RPGs this way, then definitely could be done faster. I think it's what I'm going to do, at least for some. Both UL and PS2 could be done in a simplified way like that (I still think they should be fun and challenging to play).
Yeah, I don't think you need 100% unique skills for each character. And if you were going to share skills, PS would probably not be a bad game to do that on given the PS1 system. (Besides, what are you going to do for the non-psionics?)

But I don't quite want to say go too similar because that hit/miss system was pretty annoying.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For the non-psionic skills: for combat, not sure yet, I could still have skills that give bonus attacks depending on weapons type. For the non-combat ones, I'm thinking to go with Anima's suggestion: you have like 2-3 uses of each skill for each "chapter". It would guarantee 100% success rate. So in practice there could be each chapter 10 choices with the possibility to pass it with a skill check, but only 2-3 uses.
I think it's better than a random percentage like the first title since people would just rollback/reload anyway :mrgreen:

Regarding the hit/miss it would be different. It would be either like QoT (a miss would still do half damage) or like Endless Legend game: there would be 4 sections of damage and percentages based on the stats. So could be like:
50% full hit = 10 dmg (base damage)
30% glancing blow = 5 dmg (half damage)
15% miss = 2 dmg (1/5 of base damage)
5% critical hit= 15 dmg (+50% base damage)
even a miss would still deal 2 dmg. So imagine a machinegun with very low accuracy, but a good rate of fire, could fire 5 bullets and even do all "misses", would still be 10 dmg. And instead a sniper rifle with a base attack of 10 even with a critical could do 15 dmg. So in the end only 5 dmg of difference. (that's an extreme case example).

Done like this it could be interesting and "fun" even when missing I think, since you'd need to take into consideration other aspects like ammo remaining and maybe if Anima can implement this, the time consumed for each attack: it would be either a point system like Fallout games or a "real" timer for each attack, so with a fast weapon you could fire twice in same amount of time you fire once with a slower one, etc.

In practice need to learn to design the games in a "smarter" way, so that I don't have to spend 4 months doing 100 skills, when you can still have fun with 20 skills but better designed :lol:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Your RPGs have been are on the smaller scale anyways, so there isn't much of a need to have a whole lot of skills in the first place, unless you plan to reuse the engine and assets for future games.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well even when reusing engines (the Loren engine was reused already in SOTW/QoT and probably also in some more) I can still try to design the game itself to be simpler. In SOTW for example I could have probably reduced the skills of each character by 2-3, since there were many "duplicate" ones :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Have you thought about a possibility of reusing more then usual for some of you games? Like if you completely reused SOTW system, skills and all you could have more complicated gameplay for less time/work then if you programed a new simpler one.And I think that would work well for some of your upcoming games, like for dingaria game witch has a lot of connection to SOTW it wouldn't be out of place to have a same gameplay/skills like SOTW.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I kind of like that he tries to improve on the system with each game. No sense clinging to the parts that didn't turn out as well. And it helps keep the games feeling fresh enough, rather than being more of the same. Especially since the WW rpgs tend to be quite long and by your 400th battle, you've already figured out which skills to use and how opponents will react.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I thought about reusing SOTW system, but not reusing all the skills. I think honestly would seem lame/cheap coming from me. I know maybe for some people not, but... last week someone complained I am reusing backgrounds in several games :lol: so imagine if I reused SOTW system completely!
Troyen wrote:Especially since the WW rpgs tend to be quite long and by your 400th battle, you've already figured out which skills to use and how opponents will react.
See that's what I should try to fix. Of course, it's not like I can come up with something really new (what you describe is just how RPGs work, all of them).
But trying to come up with something that is both simpler and makes the battles faster. That's why I wanted to try PSCD and a card gameplay, since those have much more focus on paper-rock-scissor gameplay. I'd like to try something like that applied to RPG too, to keep each battle "fresh".
Easier said than done though. Since players seemed to really like SOTW gameplay (it's the game with most positive comments regarding the RPG system) maybe I could use that as a sort of starting point and tweak it.

Another idea a writer suggested to me (for a secret game) is a more "descriptive RPG" combat. Like, still some stats, but you would play each battle with VN choices and outcome would change based on the choice+stat. Of course many RPG players won't like it, but for VN players who aren't much into complex RPGs system, could be interesting maybe...
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Another idea a writer suggested to me (for a secret game) is a more "descriptive RPG" combat. Like, still some stats, but you would play each battle with VN choices and outcome would change based on the choice+stat. Of course many RPG players won't like it, but for VN players who aren't much into complex RPGs system, could be interesting maybe...
That sounds both original and very interesting, but I can't imagine it being simple to make. Definitely would like to see it true.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, one of the secret games in the work uses that system, so once that is finished... :)
Of course done like that, there aren't many fight (that game has about 10-12 in total) but each fight is original/different from the others.