puzzles/minigames in games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

are you in favor of small puzzle/logic minigames ?

You may select 1 option

View results

Franka
Elder Druid

Re: puzzles/minigames in games

Post by Franka »

My mind probably works best visually. I like stuff like matching shapes, finding shapes within shapes, adding shapes to one another, subtracting shapes from one another, layering shapes to create something new, rotating, reflecting... visual manipulations.

I understand if coming up with something like that is more work than it's worth though.

Meanwhile, I'll continue filling out sudokus with letters, and let people stare. Bloody conformists. :)
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

Franka wrote:Meanwhile, I'll continue filling out sudokus with letters, and let people stare. Bloody conformists. :)
To know that people like you exist pleases me greatly.

I think that visual puzzles are more than doable. I already have one workable idea.

And when the game starts, players could get a question like this:

This VN has minigames! What is your preference:

-Logical schematics to solve
-Visual and association puzzles
-I like everything, hit me with both
-No minigames for me!

I think this could work!

Edit: And here is an unrefined, extremely early, very first draft of what this could look like:

Depending on what's easy/hard to code, you could either just click the 3 pieces you think are accurate or if Jack can code it, we can give you an empty canvas where you drag each and try to recreate the node.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Yep, something like that would be great. Adding patterns also works. Colors could too, but that wouldn't be color blind friendly (but would still have the option to go the schematic route).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Those minigames seems OK, even if sometimes the easiest thing turns out to be the hardest to code. Anyway I can give a try with your ideas. The hardest thing to do in Ren'Py probably is the piece stuff (if you want to be able to rotate them and place anywhere). But maybe I can ask some friends I know to code it :)
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

Let's discuss this topic further, see if we get any better ideas and agree to what we want before you waste too much time creating a tool we may not even end up using.

Franka brings more good ideas: texture/patterns are a good idea! And I agree, colors are not very friendly to the colorblind.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Had more time today to read this thread in detail. I think providing different type of puzzle based on user's preference is a very good idea. For example I'm like Franka: I don't like the more complex puzzles, but those based on shapes or simple logic stuff are good for me.
Other examples of stuff I like are:
the guess password minigame in Fallout 3-4

the hack minigame in Deus Ex

or even the minigame I did for Vera Blanc. I think the word guessing one was the best one:

So could be either a series of minigames, or a more detailed mini-game repeating through the story but with more complex rules. Now that I have the card framework it could even be a sort of mini-card game for example :)
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

Yeah well this is where the word "team" gets its importance. You're threading into waters where I can barely swim. I can whip up a very mean story in a really awesome universe and I can even write the soundtrack but invent minigames from scratch: I already gave my best shot up there, I may not be your best pick for that part.

Short version: "Help?"

Edit:

The Fallout 4 hacking game... Somehow I just can't wrap my brain around the idea that a system tells you "OH SO YOU'RE TRYING TO HACK IN?? WELL YOU GOT 2 OUT OF 4 LETTERS RIGHT! TRY AGAIN!" If I was the system admin, I'd quit my job.

The Deux Ex hacking game looks very fun but it relies way too much on acquired items and there will be no such thing in The Hospital

The Vera Blanc minigame is simple, elegant and fun. I wonder if a modified version could be used in The Hospital...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes something like that, or even the "guess numbers" (higher/lower) and other things like this could be a good solution I think. Of course I'm speaking for my tastes :)
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

Let's say we agree that my logic gates is already a good minigame option, all we need is a visual counterpart. My requisites for a good such minigame are very simple:

1- Does not lose its appeal after 2-3 times
2- Scalable in difficulty
3- Makes the payer feel he is interacting with a computer system
4- Is not a nightmare for you to code.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

I can't believe I'm just noticing this now!

LOVE puzzles in games, esp. (and if this is difficult to code, I apologize; just felt like putting it out there) the kinds of things where various components are collected that the player needs to figure out how they're used (ex.: a stopper for a drain; needed to plug something and then turn on water to make an object float to the top since it's too far down to reach).