ultimate romance poll!

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Post Reply

what kind of romance you'd like to see / play ?

You may select up to 8 options

 
 
View results

kadakithis
Druid
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:32 am

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by kadakithis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:01 pm

Yeah I never believed she was actually remorsefull. Only repenting when caught and trying to kill her tribe just made it seem that she had not changed at all. Also that action had several smaller actions, added on that her first chance to repent and instead she wants to commit whole slaughter. She didn't seem to be remoseful earlier and purposefully changed her story not to hide it but to cast the guy as a villain and to kill him.

Last second apologies seem kinda meaningless next to that. And the judgement of their sincerity is very shaky.

That said, I think she is one of the best characters because of her cruelty. Challassa has to be evil, no choice, and strives to be good. That is usual for evil good guys, but a normal person who makes you feel because of normal evil is cut from a different cloth. We don't expect it and the character was written really well. You could understand her motivations even if her actions were extreme, and thats kinda why I hate her as a person but love her as a character.

User avatar
ValHallen
Druid
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by ValHallen » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Alex81 wrote: That she repented only -after- having been stopped kind of tipped the entire situation over in "too little, too late" territory.
It didn't sit right with me at all, I do regret I used the word "betrayal" in all this, as Krimm -had- done right by the party since joining, but as Kadakithis said? There are things people won't accept (easily) ,the nomads values -did- cause this to come about, that doesn't change the fact that I can't abide by those actions, no matter the reasoning
Remember that those man werent innocents bystanders. They were raiders who were attacking merchants caravans.
As I said before, Krimm is an emotional person, she acts before she thinks. There she saw the chance to restore her honor by the traddition of her tribe. Once she had time to think, she saw how futile it would be.
You are in your right to not abide it and not accept it, but it doesnt change her romance arc is beautifuly done.
kadakithis wrote:Yeah I never believed she was actually remorsefull. Only repenting when caught and trying to kill her tribe just made it seem that she had not changed at all. Also that action had several smaller actions, added on that her first chance to repent and instead she wants to commit whole slaughter. She didn't seem to be remoseful earlier and purposefully changed her story not to hide it but to cast the guy as a villain and to kill him.

Last second apologies seem kinda meaningless next to that. And the judgement of their sincerity is very shaky.

That said, I think she is one of the best characters because of her cruelty. Challassa has to be evil, no choice, and strives to be good. That is usual for evil good guys, but a normal person who makes you feel because of normal evil is cut from a different cloth. We don't expect it and the character was written really well. You could understand her motivations even if her actions were extreme, and thats kinda why I hate her as a person but love her as a character.
If she wasnt, she would not put herself at that guy's mercy. She didnt do it because she got caught, it was her who confessed what had happened and even then what would happen to her if she didnt confessed? Who would believe the guy who was the leader of the bandits who were attacking the city over the person who helped free several slaves over the year? She had nothing to gain by saying the truth.

She didnt ask forgiveness to anyone, she was ready to be punished in whatever way that guy wanted (someone remember his name?), be it death or spend the rest of her life as her wife if he wanted, and if you romance her you can see how determined she is. If it doesnt show how she wanted to pay for crimes, I dont know what can.
And the guy forgave her, who are us (a third party person, who wasnt affected by her actions) to say she doesnt deserve it?

And she isnt cruel, she doesnt have pleasure on inflicting pain on others.

pyla88
Young scout
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by pyla88 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:37 am

I feel like the main problem is there's no option to break it off. Realistically, a good chunk of people won't be like you & able to forgive/justify/empathize her actions. And they shouldn't necessarily have to. (Whether or not they're the minority; Idk what the consensus is.)

P_Tigras
Druid
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by P_Tigras » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 am

kadakithis wrote:
jack1974 wrote:I agree with everything ValHallen said. Krimm grew up in the nomads world, with their culture. If she was born in Grimoire, maybe you could accuse her of being a bit psycho, but in their culture what she did to her tribe was "normal".
True, but we can't help but judge the world through our own world view and values. Its why in period pieces the heros have modern values.
I detest characters like that as phony. Nothing will make me toss a book in the trash or stop playing a game faster than unrealistic personalities (unless it's a comedy). Good stories don't just put modern people in period costumes, they create characters with believable personalities. They don't just confirm the reader's existing biases, but cause the reader to consider story events from different angles and perspectives than they would normally.
I like Krimm was that way, and glad you were willing to go there, but can't ever like her. To me, she wasn't a psycho so much as selfish to the point of evil and while forgiven she crossed a line that I feel the characters just could never trust her.
Eh. One's definition of good and evil depends on one's beliefs and core values. Furthermore, like most people, Krimm was a product of her culture. And unfortunately one of the negative aspects of her culture is that it lionizes aggression and devalues human life. I can only imagine how rough her childhood was growing up in a culture like that. Thus i give Krimm a lot of credit for being able to overcome her cultural programming and grow into someone more evolved as her core beliefs were challenged by game events, forcing her to reconsider them. As a result I judge Krimm not based on the person she was at the beginning of the story, but on the person she grew into by its end.

And if one is wise, trust isn't an all or nothing proposition. Instead you take off the blinders and do everything you can to understand those closest to you, and then trust them to be true to who they are. You'll rarely be surprised or disappointed that way.
But I love her as a character.
Me too.

P_Tigras
Druid
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by P_Tigras » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:11 am

pyla88 wrote:I feel like the main problem is there's no option to break it off. Realistically, a good chunk of people won't be like you & able to forgive/justify/empathize her actions. And they shouldn't necessarily have to. (Whether or not they're the minority; Idk what the consensus is.)
This is a good point. If a major bombshell gets dropped on the MC's relationship with another character, the player should have the ability to re-evaluate and end it if they wish.

User avatar
fabulaparva
Elder Druid
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by fabulaparva » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Franka wrote:We can't all get exactly what we want, every single time. Nor are we entitled to. I have my personal preferences too, but the best romance I think we can get is one that you really feel the writer wanted to write. Sometimes we get romance tropes that feel like they're there because it's expected, those can be pretty uninteresting. Of course we can strongly disagree with what the writer has to say, but it's still more involving if there clearly was some spark to begin with.
As Sauzer would put it: "You speak Truth." 8)

When it comes to yuri/yaoi-only vs hetero romance options, as I think I typed way back, I play them all and choose based on how interesting the characters are and interactions are -not so much on gender-, but I also prefer variety. It seems like Jack has a solid yuri-audience and and enjoys making those games, so it's of course completely his prerogative what he makes (and what his audience wants). It's just that since a lot of hetero-only VNs outside of WW either bore me to death (blushing airhead heroines in otome games) or make me lose my lunch (certain male POV college sleazeballing), that I was happy to read that Jack will keep all combos in his games. (not every option in all games, but you know what I mean) :P

Random sidenote:
It's a personal quirk of mine to often (not always) rebel against whatever can be seen as the 'canon' romance/true ending among multiple paths/choices. This has happened to me in other games, but to give a winterwolves example, Mira and Charlotte @PSCD will be the last romantic paths I'll read, since I saw them being Alex's and Diana's choices while doing the NPC quests playing the other sibling.

User avatar
ValHallen
Druid
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by ValHallen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:11 pm

fabulaparva wrote: It's a personal quirk of mine to often (not always) rebel against whatever can be seen as the 'canon' romance/true ending among multiple paths/choices. This has happened to me in other games, but to give a winterwolves example, Mira and Charlotte @PSCD will be the last romantic paths I'll read, since I saw them being Alex's and Diana's choices while doing the NPC quests playing the other sibling.
I recommend doing Mira's romance first, if you do later, it will not have the same impact.

User avatar
karalius465
Young scout
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:05 am

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by karalius465 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 am

Asexual doesn't mean no romance.

trueKieran
Young scout
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by trueKieran » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:41 pm

As usual I'm late to the party... anyway. Male player here, chose "male + female" and "female + female", but wanted to go into more detail. I'm also fine in both cases with the romancible character being an alien as long as they look and identify as female, a good example here would be the Asari from Mass Effect I guess. Technically one of them (aswell as women of other races) can be the "father" of their children because of their way of reproducing, but they are still considered a race of females and also look female.

In terms of asexual it's a bit more complicated. I'm not really interested in "male + asexual". Concerning "female + asexual", it depends on what we're talking about. If the asexual part is something like a self-aware cloud or a robot similar to the antbots from Planet Stronhold but with two cannons (just started playing) where really no sexual interaction is possible, then the answer is no, not interested. If it's something like the android Lucile on the other hand, that would be perfectly fine, she has hands after all, so she can still use tools, same goes for other creatures who are able to grab things, like a plant creature with tendrils.

kadakithis
Druid
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:32 am

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by kadakithis » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:59 pm

trueKieran wrote: In terms of asexual it's a bit more complicated. I'm not really interested in "male + asexual". Concerning "female + asexual", it depends on what we're talking about. If the asexual part is something like a self-aware cloud or a robot similar to the antbots from Planet Stronhold but with two cannons (just started playing) where really no sexual interaction is possible, then the answer is no, not interested. If it's something like the android Lucile on the other hand, that would be perfectly fine, she has hands after all, so she can still use tools, same goes for other creatures who are able to grab things, like a plant creature with tendrils.
By asexual I think it means the sexuality. Mostly it means someone who isn't attracted to anyone. Doesn't mean they can't or won't like sex, but they aren't attracted to anyone. Homosexual-attracted to same sex, Heterosexual- attracted to the opposite sex, bisexual-attracted to both, Asexual- attracted to neither. Some are non-repulsed and do have sex. Others are repulsed and don't have any. Many asexuals still have a gender preference, but for romance rather than sex.

My first gf was an asexual, she preferred women, and while not repulsed was very skittish about sex. We only ever cuddled, which was fine with me, we broke up due to distance instead of her asexuality. One asexual guy I know described sex like this "Watching a TV program that is kinda boring but you don't mind watching it with them because they enjoy it so much."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests