Fan games?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

Your opinion on fan games?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

OtterFace
Young scout

Fan games?

Post by OtterFace »

So, browsing the VN forum I saw some Vera Blanc fan games going around.
What does everyone think of fan games? Would you play them? Would you make one if you had the time/resources?
(Jack only) Are you happy endorsing them? Is there some sort of quality standard? What's your stance on nude mods and the like?

I've seen some fan VNs going around in other places. Ren'Py is a very user-friendly engine and making a fan VN for an existing game or anime series is a form of fanart/fanfic -more or less along the same lines as making a doujinshi.

What does everyone think? :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Re: Fan games?

Post by Lonestar51 »

My verdict for any game I get my hands on is quite harsh. Unless it hooks me in the first half hour or so, it is gone. (Fortunately the WW-games did always pass.) This is regardless wether it is a demo-version, it is a free game (like a fan game), or if it is a shrink-wrapped game I already payed for in full.

So yes, I would play, but I would expect quite some quality. (Even if the particular question was directed at jack.) This means in a story-heavy game the writing, and in a gameplay-heavy game the gameplay. Graphics may help a bit, but are kind of optional. (Like in DF...)

Regarding creation:So long as there are lots of good games out there, I get sidetracked whenever I try to make a game myself... :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well for games based on Vera Blanc I had no issues :) since you all known how badly the game did...
But if someone was to do a fangame about Loren or other bigger titles I am not sure what I would do, because in this case yeah, I would like to have some sort of minimum quality, otherwise there's always the risk that people think it's a game made by me (unless it says FAN GAME in giant texts all around the download page and in the game itself!).
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

There were a couple of nude mods as well, weren't there? I didn't bother checking them out, but if it's of some reasonable quality and clearly marked as fan work, are you happy with people making hentai stuff based on your games?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course, I have no prejudices against sex/nudity/etc. :) as long as it is of quality, with a plot and not just:

Day1:
Vera: "Hey Brandon I was thinking..."
Brandon: "yes?"
Vera: "Let's get in bed and have sex until tomorrow!"
menu choices:
1) "Have fun with Vera"=>200 CGs of Kamasutra poses
2) "Leave" => game over

:lol: :lol:
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

Ah, that's really interesting actually! I know a lot of creators who get all squicked out at the sight of their characters getting it on in fan work :mrgreen:

PS: Kamasutra points is something that totally needs to be implemented in a future game!
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

jack1974 wrote:Yes of course, I have no prejudices against sex/nudity/etc. :) as long as it is of quality, with a plot and not just:

Day1:
Vera: "Hey Brandon I was thinking..."
Brandon: "yes?"
Vera: "Let's get in bed and have sex until tomorrow!"
menu choices:
1) "Have fun with Vera"=>200 CGs of Kamasutra poses
2) "Leave" => game over

:lol: :lol:
:lol: I don't think Brandon is the type of guy to say "No" to Vera.
For what it's worth, I have ALWAYS asked (and received) Jack's permission before doing a Vera Blanc fan-made game, and for making a nude mod for any of his games. In fact, making the nude mods for WinterWolves' two Vera Blanc games, and for the first Bionic Hearts game would have been impossible without Jack's help.

Making a fan made game (even a one that has only an hour of game play) takes a considerable amount of work. I work alone (writing, programming, and artwork), and making a fan made game typically takes me two months, working one or two hours a day. I suppose it could be done faster using made sprites and backgrounds.

Very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

That's really interesting. I had no idea Jack was involved in this stuff :D

Hey, fleet, you've made a whole bunch of Vera Blanc games. Which ones are your favorites? :)
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

OtterFace wrote:That's really interesting. I had no idea Jack was involved in this stuff :D

Hey, fleet, you've made a whole bunch of Vera Blanc games. Which ones are your favorites? :)
I like all of my Vera Blanc fan-made games. :lol:
As to which of my Vera Blanc fan-made games are my favorites, I'd say the remake of "Vera Blanc and the Carpathian Horror" is my favorite, and my second favorite is "Vera Blanc and the Queen of Kor".

Oh, while I work alone on creating the fan-made visual novels, I have several folks who proofread and beta test before I release.

EDIT: What's your favorite Vera Blanc fan-made VN?
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

fleetp wrote:EDIT: What's your favorite Vera Blanc fan-made VN?
I've never played the base game, as the art style didn't appeal to me much, so I haven't tried the fan games yet :oops:
I've heard they are really good, though, so I was curious about which one you personally consider your best work.