"bastard" characters :D

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

"bastard" characters :D

Post by jack1974 »

So imagine. In a RPG game (a dating sim won't work since the goal is to romance someone), you romance a character, make love with him/her, and then you discover that he/she used you (in various ways).
Would it TOTALLY SUCK, be acceptable, you wouldn't buy anymore my games, or...? :mrgreen:
Just wondering how you would react to this (of course the betrayal would fit the plot, wouldn't be just a sudden/random thing).
Anima_
Druid

Re: "bastard" characters :D

Post by Anima_ »

I would add a winter wolf called Jack as a bonus joke boss in the next bug fix to the game. :wink:

A problem might be that some people play the romances as wish fulfilment exactly like in a dating sim, basically a mini dating sim game inside the RPG game.
As for me, I'd be okay with it if I get the opportunity to exact sweet bloody revenge on the, ahm I mean to make sure that he/she is unable do that ever again to someone.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

As for me, I'd be okay with it if I get the opportunity to exact sweet bloody revenge
Very much the above, without the sugar-coating. Hmm, there is the question how the revenge would fit into the story arc, the revenge might be a bit hurried as getting the love of the life at start of chapter 1 would not evoke the same "bastard" feeling as when the player needs to do a lot of social boss fights to get to the romance scene.

I would suggest, however, that the bastard should be characterized as bastard before the romance starts. OK, even then there may be players who think "I can romance him/her, so (s)he cannot be as bad. I will change her/him, make her/him nice. Or there may be a reason for this." (They may think (s)he is much like Reid the dancer or the grave robber in Spirited heart.) They will be annoyed and sad. Anyway, just wanted to say this *will* be daring, and *will* offend some buyers. (Not me of course, I take a lot except bland games. ;-) )
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

I'd be disappointed the the SOB was the only romance-able character, but otherwise I don't have a problem with it.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course it wouldn't be the only romanceable character, and you would get "warning signs". It would be as the mentioned Reid, or even Rei in Loren :mrgreen: also it could be a possible variant. I mean in one case with a specific behavior you could get that outcome, in another you could get a different one. It could be interesting I think.
The revenge idea is also funny :lol: (of course would be a non-bloody revenge... right?)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It would be absolutely perfect from where I'm standing, as long as it was an actual part of the overall plot. In fact, I think I suggested something along those lines in another thread, a character who seemed nice, but was actually playing you.
biscuit
Woods ranger

Post by biscuit »

I think it could be handled very well, and provide an interesting twist. (Even in my RPGs, I like romance though, so I would appreciate not ALL the options being like that!)

It should also, in my opinion, be able to fit neatly into the plot or as a subplot (finding revenge, etc), so a happy ending for the PLAYER is possible, even if not the character.

Damien from Magical Diary (a Hanako Games game) was a perfect example for me.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

(of course would be a non-bloody revenge... right?)
WHAT? Sure not! The more red pixels the better!
It would be as the mentioned Reid, or even Rei in Loren
Reid was portrayed as a ruthless gold digger in the first part of the romance, and then there were the reasons shown for her behaviour. And Reid never behaved wrong towards the PC. Which is not what I understood the bastard would be ... the bastard would be more or less normal at the begin (warning signs aside), and then dump the PC while laughing. "You did not really think you are more than a temporary distraction?" After which the player should have the option to do revenge. Bloody, horribly violent pixel-revenge. ;-)
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

If you really think on that, Chambara might be classified as a "bastard"(at least if you are Saren, with Elenor, she's cute). Look at her actions: She's seduce your character while at the same time mocks their interaction, she leaves they all the same(with the difference that she actually have a "good ending" if the players romanced her with Elenor)at the end of the game and etc.
I think it would be PERFECT if you put others "true" bastards in your games, Jack. It would be nice to have something different and less "true love" and show that there ARE people who use others for their own agenda(and the heartbreak, grow and the revenge would be a sight to see) and that we must be careful of whom we put our trust.
There are people who are bastards and are excellent friends, but terrible lovers(for they cannot be trusted in a deep serious relationship), so making the bastard someone the players actually like would be nice. They would only show their "bad" side once they were committed to a real relationship. The bastard might even apologize for not being capable of loving the character, or even saying that the character is a pain in the @$$ and that didn't know it would be like this, therefore, losing the friendship/love at the same time.
(Actually, when I played Loren the Amazon Princess, I would imagine my Elenor character as a bastard who flirts with everyone to get her way in doing the amazon's bidding, sometimes, she would flirt even with Loren to get her to do what she want. The difference being that, she acted in such way because she was trained as a Bard by her deceased mistress, therefore, she is manipulative/cruel/assassin by nature, and only after a long, long, loooong time, she let her guard down for Loren. However her story could be totally different in others circumstances, like; she, being a spy and an assassin, simply wouldn't know HOW to love, therefore, killing any possibility of romance.)
this is just an example, but I think the character should be romanceable by anyone, but wouldn't count as a romance. That way, the player wouldn't loose their romance option(especially if the bastard was the only BxB or GxG option of the game, would be quite unfair.) and would be able to get another one through the game.
The bastard should be ambiguous in their feelings. Sometimes they would show affection or even jealousy and another they wouldn't even care. That way, the player would get a warning(maybe even from others character. You might even increase the romance if the bastard hurt the player so bad that another romanceable character, would try to fight for him. That would be nice and I believe, quite romantic).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, well in Loren's sequel there's a perfect occasion to have a bastard (or more!) characters, and in the other RPGs as well. OK you will get what you asked for! :twisted: