favorite art style

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

which art style do you prefer?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

biscuit
Woods ranger

Re: favorite art style

Post by biscuit »

For CGs & special scenes, rendered is beautiful... but for the entire course of the game, I want something a bit simpler on the eyes.

(Also ended up voting after all; I voted for both Japanese and Western style, though I still hold that rendering/painting is wonderful for 'special' scenes.)
ReadyOrNot
Young scout

Post by ReadyOrNot »

Franka wrote:I prefer art done well. :P I like details. I dislike "rough" art, art that looks like colored sketches. The style is secondary to me, the quality is what counts. The more love that I can tell went into the artwork, the better it becomes (love often = details, to me). The more it looks like the artist was just doing a job, the more I skim over it. If it looks generic, the artist probably didn't feel a thing, other than the ka-CHING of cash, when creating it. If it has personal touches, the artist probably felt inspired, which more often than not, shows in the end result.
Nothing more to add, this is exactly what I think about comics - no matter if mangas or western styles or anything else, I am sure that you see the love put into them - but, it's not always a fact that details show their love - there are artworks which work very well with puristic styles - sometimes it's the art of knowing how to handle minimalism which shows the effort an artist put in his works.
adelrex
Young scout

Post by adelrex »

That really depends on the game. I loved Cinders' art. It was the main reason I played it. But It wouldn't fit with Loren.
Then there is Planet Stronghold which doesn't fit with anything. Err...I mean I understand It has its fans but I dislike it. Which is fine because I don't care much for Planet Stronghold.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

You don't care because you don't like the sci-fi genre, or... ?
adelrex
Young scout

Post by adelrex »

jack1974 wrote:You don't care because you don't like the sci-fi genre, or... ?
I prefer fantasy over sci-fi but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying a sci-fi game aside maybe, from the combat. I have several reasons for not liking Planet stronghold. One of them is the art. Another is the story which I considered to be weak at best (from the demo). I also just couldn't get over the fact that there is a "human king" with a crown and everything :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah ok I see. Well the sequel will have much better story and combat system, but the art indeed will be the same :oops: Maybe you can try Bionic Heart 2 when is out, it's sci-fi but has a very good story and nice art :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

After seeing the girl before the spaceship picture, I just had to choose "western style"...

Though there is nothing wrong with the art in Planet Stronghold, or Loren for that matter. Also the painted style can be nice.

In the end, it very much comes down to how good the artist is, and how much the art matches the rest of the game.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

jack1974 wrote:Ah ok I see. Well the sequel will have much better story and combat system, but the art indeed will be the same :oops: Maybe you can try Bionic Heart 2 when is out, it's sci-fi but has a very good story and nice art :)
Ok Im a bit of a noob in this area. My brother is a big fan of this but I dont know anything about anime and similar stuff. I happen to like a style that is serious in how it looks so anything that is more comedic, I cant get into. For me, I like Planet Stronghold and Loren not just because they are rpgs, but because they are serious yet have humor that you can find. Some of the best rpg creators that add humor to their games, makes all the difference. I remember playing Avadon for the first time where I was arguing with a wretch, he handed me a raspberry and turned away. I thought that the humor was hilarious yet still showed menace as I had to fight the little bugger.

I really dont know what category that would classify.
kuracha-macha
Young scout

Post by kuracha-macha »

Hm, Loren's art is a mix of manga style and the western style, in my opinion. I loved Loren's style so I don't really know what to pick.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah true I should have added a 4th option :lol: