favorite art style

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

which art style do you prefer?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

felyarpg
Young scout

Re: favorite art style

Post by felyarpg »

I'd say my favourite art style is manga, but I have quite hight standards :oops:
For example I don't like too much when male characters are too much feminine looking, or seem overly young, and in a lot of cases it happen to male characters in some manga styles, expecially if is for a female public.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

During the Summer Sale, many people played Heirs & Graces. All the new reviews starts with "if you can get past the bad art" and "forget the art" etc etc. But then, basically everyone (except 1 review) thought the writing/story/characters was great (and indeed it is, as I said several times I think it's one of my best written games).
So in summary those people held off buying for the art and then when they finally did it, for some the art didn't even matter much. I think it's a problem of modern gamers being totally spoiled :lol:
Which is a good thing of course, from their perspective! but basically last year I made two games with non-manga art, and for both that was one of the key factor for people to not even TRY them. Lesson learned :mrgreen:
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46 am During the Summer Sale, many people played Heirs & Graces. All the new reviews starts with "if you can get past the bad art" and "forget the art" etc etc. But then, basically everyone (except 1 review) thought the writing/story/characters was great (and indeed it is, as I said several times I think it's one of my best written games).
So in summary those people held off buying for the art and then when they finally did it, for some the art didn't even matter much. I think it's a problem of modern gamers being totally spoiled :lol:
Which is a good thing of course, from their perspective! but basically last year I made two games with non-manga art, and for both that was one of the key factor for people to not even TRY them. Lesson learned :mrgreen:
Well that just sucks ... not that I hate or even dislike manga style art, but that there it isn't economically feasible to do any other style. I really hate the hivemind mentality that is pervasive in our culture today. There is simply no room to be different, and that will stagnate us as a society.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox :P
Callista
Young scout

Post by Callista »

Yeah, it is interesting how some VN fans will favor art over writing, story, etc., while others are the opposite. Personally, I think the writing is the most important factor so even if the art isn't to my liking, I can overlook it. :)
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course I know that not EVERYONE is like that. But the majority? sadly yes :mrgreen:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Callista wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:55 am Yeah, it is interesting how some VN fans will favor art over writing, story, etc., while others are the opposite. Personally, I think the writing is the most important factor so even if the art isn't to my liking, I can overlook it. :)
Thing is you can't judge the writing until you start reading/playing it. But when you're browsing a list of a hundred titles, what do you see? The banner art and some screenshots. So art helps more in the selection process, writing is what keeps you hooked or makes you bury that title in the trash can.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That's why I always tried to have good art for my games, but the moment I tried to do something different = instant fail
Personally I don't think PSCD or Heirs & Graces art is so HORRIBLE as some people say, just different style. As said many times, if it's stylized/cute manga, then mouth/nose/eyes/ears/body proportions can be all wrong and nobody cares (especially if it's the boobs size :lol:) but if you try to make something slightly anatomically wrong in painted/realistic style=you're doomed!! :roll:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

There is a fine line between stylization and mistakes. Even a cartoonists should have a strong background in realism, otherwise they will limit themselves even in their preferred style.

That being said, it's possible to like a piece of art even if you notice a mistake. That's where subjectivity comes to play.