website design

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what do you think of my current website layout (www.winterwolves.com) ?

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

website design

Post by jack1974 »

A plain simple question. I've been meant to redesign my website since long but I never find time to do it. What I'm trying to understand is if people think it is horrible, ok/average (or good? but I doubt it).
In practice I'm trying to understand if is something that I should try to do soon or if really doesn't matter much for players and they'd rather I focused on making more games :)
Sauzer
Young scout

Re: website design

Post by Sauzer »

Hello again :)

I'm not an expert about this, but how many years has been the current design on your website?

I think that the people changes the aspect of his website because they want to show that is a "today's website", a modern website. So it's not really important if your website looks good or bad. I'm sure that many people don't like the feeling of "Wow, this place looks exactly as many years ago." Only nostalgic people like this feeling.

If you go surfing the net many websites have changed his aspect since years ago (the shops for example, at least the shops that I know). And everything changes through the years.

So like always it's on your hands what to do. Good luck! :)

Before I forgot, you can add christmas stuff at the design of your website during christmas (or halloween stuff the weeks previous to halloween). The people likes this kind of details on the shops! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've this design since 2011 I think (lol I don't remember it myself anymore). Having themed website based on festivities is a good idea indeed :)
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

I don't have a problem with your website. You might want to add background music from one of the current games.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It's average. It's functional, but pretty bland. Some flash and more eye catching images would help, IMO.
Sauzer
Young scout

Post by Sauzer »

2011? In my opinion it looks older than it is. But I'm not an expert of websites designs. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ok will look into making it better this year as soon as I have time :)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Sauzer wrote:Hello again :)

I'm not an expert about this, but how many years has been the current design on your website?

I think that the people changes the aspect of his website because they want to show that is a "today's website", a modern website. So it's not really important if your website looks good or bad. I'm sure that many people don't like the feeling of "Wow, this place looks exactly as many years ago." Only nostalgic people like this feeling.
It's not just nostalgia. Some people are very busy and see web pages as first and foremost an informational tool and resource, not an experience to savor. They don't want to waste valuable time learning how to do something all over again or hunting for things that got moved because someone got bored and decided they wanted to change a web site's functionality to keep it fresh. (This is why Windows 8 is turning into such a flop.) It usually has less to do with nostalgia and a lot to do with efficient time management. People get extremely frustrated when something has changed and it isn't immediately obvious how to accomplish that same functionality any more. I got so extremely annoyed with the new wiki scheme a few years back that I quit improving a certain wiki page that I was admin'ing when the new scheme was forced on us.

Even when the changes are purely cosmetic bad things can happen. For example, that cool new font may be harder for a lot of people to read, and some people may not bother to take the time to puzzle it out. Or the new formatting code may not use the space available on a wide screen monitor as efficiently leaving huge white areas on either side of the page. So change should be approached with care, and hopefully from the view of improving the site, not just changing things just to change things.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

To be honest I would like a simple but stylish look, like the GoG.com website for example. It's plain simple and doesn't have any big effect, but I like it (and if such a big site uses it, probably works :lol:). I already made a mockup months ago of the new style, but have yet to finish it: http://www.winterwolves.com/test/
I was holding it off until I had enough iOS games (since right now I have only 1) and also more webgames but I could go on and add those sections later. I also want to make better game pages with more eye-catching artwork.
Also will make the background less dark since I prefer to use black fonts (white fonts on dark background are straining for the eyes IMHO).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Much better than what you currently have.