Less perfect characters?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Less perfect characters?

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's something we're going to try improving in future RPGs: in Roger Steel for example I know that will be HARD to keep the party together (so very different from previous games). And in general we want to avoid that everyone is MC friends if he/she behaves badly or makes the wrong choices/says the wrong things.
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Oh, Lisa had a nickname for Mr Shatz, but it's not one I could repeat here :) I kept wishing there was a suicide mission I could send him on!

And I found it easy to annoy the Loren characters... the ones I disliked like Mesphit and Rei, anyway. Rei was putting the moves on Elenor and she cut him short with a cold 'Shut up. I'm not interested in anything you say.' He visibly deflated and sulked for the rest of the game :)

And I kept annoying Mesphit until Loren eventually gutted him like a pig. A beautiful moment.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

You're really bastard players, poor fictional characters!! :lol:
Hopefully Aleema will find a way to make Shatz more likeable. I know his romance CG with Lisa is one of the cutest of the game so I hope he'll become more popular, and less... shatz :mrgreen:
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

I'd rather a have a strong reaction, love or hate, for a character, than just feel 'meh'.

If I fall in love with a character, or want to kill him, then the writer has done a good job!

If I just couldn't care less, as with Alistair in Dragon Age, then that's not so much fun.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

jack1974 wrote:You're really bastard players, poor fictional characters!! :lol:
Many thanks for the compliment :twisted:
Maelora wrote:And I kept annoying Mesphit until Loren eventually gutted him like a pig. A beautiful moment.
It is not like I did like Mesphit that much, but he did not trigger any hate-buttons for me either. He was just well ... standard-fare, the tormented character, running into his doom due to ambitions and bad decisions, seen it in many variations. Which brings me to
Maelora wrote:I'd rather a have a strong reaction, love or hate, for a character, than just feel 'meh'.
yes, very much agreed.

And I found the first dragon age "meh" too. I could not care less who invaded the world and who died because of it. Morigan or what her name was kept me going til maybe the middle of the game, but otherwise... just meh.